Talk

Advanced search

People who complain at children making noise shouldn't be teachers?

(51 Posts)
user1472582572 Thu 30-Mar-17 04:09:26

Ever since I moved last year, my neighbours have been really problematic. DS is one and he doesn't even cry that much or make much noise: he can yell or shriek a bit when he gets excited but no more than any other child. I've been working on getting him to stay in his cot all night without being breastfed. There have been a few times where he's cried a bit, but only for a few minutes. Apparently this warrants verbal abuse from the neighbours: coming over to discuss things in a civil manner seems to be beyond them. I've already complained to the police about their behaviour but they're qualifying to be teachers so they can't be as bad as I think- even though they regularly call me the 'n' word/fat pig/fat cow/disgusting pig. They're renting the property, but I don't get why you'd move to a mainly family neighbourhood if you're going to be so annoyed about children making noise? Also, if they think it's ok to be verbally abusive to neighbours should they eve be in a profession where they have a duty of care? What if one of their pupils is being bullied or experiences an eating disorder. I don't get why they can't just express anything in a polite and open way.

Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 04:32:18

I'm a teacher and you're right - as trainee teachers their professionalism should not leave the classroom.
The level of abuse you describe would not be tolerated by any employer especially if they are using the 'n' word.
Have the police done anything yet as once on their record it has to be declared in any application. Or do you know where they are currently practicing?

Supermagicsmile Thu 30-Mar-17 04:41:03

Do you know where they work? Their behavior is potentially enough for them to be struck off or certainly have a formal warning.

BeaderBird Thu 30-Mar-17 04:51:40

You should certainly report the abuse but I think it is unreasonable to question their choice of profession just because they don't want to be disturbed in their own home.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Mar-17 05:04:25

Even if they're using the 'n' word?

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 30-Mar-17 05:07:33

Using racist language cannot be accepted in their profession. I actually do think it is very relevant what they are training to do and would speak to the police.

Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 05:19:01

As they're renting I would contact the landlord if the police are being hesitant to do anything. Also record what they say and do even if just a written diary. However, the school will appreciate being told what's happening so they can also investigate x

BarbarianMum Thu 30-Mar-17 06:37:16

I think people who racially abuse their neighbours shouldn't become teachers. Have you reported the racial abuse? They should be prosecuted for that.

coffeetasteslikeshit Thu 30-Mar-17 06:39:28

I would not want these people teaching my kids.

Donthate Thu 30-Mar-17 06:42:06

Can you record them abusing you and take it to the police?

Lingotria Thu 30-Mar-17 06:42:53

Do you know which school/uni they go to? If so complain directly to them. Teachers can get sacked for using the n word even outside of school

Euphemia Thu 30-Mar-17 06:52:29

I'd find out which uni they're training at and report them. Completely unacceptable behaviour.

YABU about noise though: I'm a teacher and by the time I get home I need complete and utter silence! grin

Flowersinyourhair Thu 30-Mar-17 06:56:07

Teachers have a code of conduct which extends beyond the school gates. If you know what college/school they're training at you could certainly report it.

Lingotria Thu 30-Mar-17 06:59:25

Same applies to bankers and local gov workers too (inc binmen).

Trifleorbust Thu 30-Mar-17 07:06:58

Their behaviour sounds disgusting. Certainly the basic inability to refrain from abusing their neighbours should cause issues with their training to be teachers. But no, being a teacher doesn't mean I should welcome the intrusion of noise into my home.

budgiegirl Thu 30-Mar-17 07:10:21

Definitely let the school know, teachers are expected to behave to a certain standard outside of school as well as in, Even scout leaders are expected to behave in an appropriate way in everyday life, and that's a voluntary role.

FittonTower Thu 30-Mar-17 07:18:09

Racist language is unacceptable in anybody. And regardless of their profession (or even their racism - but actually that's as likely to be their problem as their apparently sensitivity to noise) if normal family noise upsets them the the extent that you are having to call the police about their reaction to it then maybe they should get some help. Or go live in the woods or something.

BalloonSlayer Thu 30-Mar-17 07:21:02

Goodness they are taking a risk! If they get even a caution for their behaviour that's their career down the pan right there.

Are you sure they are training to be teachers? Or is that just what they say?

People often inflate their profession if they are trying to dominate you, eg "Your kids are too noisy, its not normal, and although I don't have children myself, I know what normal is, because . . . erm . . . Oh! I'm training to be a teacher, yes I am!" sort of thing.

Faithless12 Thu 30-Mar-17 07:22:56

Yanbu about the fact they shouldn't abuse you.
Yabu about expecting them to be ok with the noise, it sounds like they are studying and expected quiet so they could sleep a whole night without being disturbed as they will be very tired if they are training, they are on show the whole time.
Why don't you move your child away from the room that adjoins them. We did this when DS was small as we didn't want to disturb everyone. In fact our wall were so paper thin, I knew we couldn't do cio or controlled crying as it wasn't fair to our neighbours who had to go out and work a full day.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 30-Mar-17 07:28:24

What action have the police taken?

Presumably no case to answer/no witnesses.

You wouldn't get a teacher struck off on neighbourhood hearsay.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 30-Mar-17 07:31:43

If they get even a caution for their behaviour that's their career down the pan right there.

I dont know where people get ^^ this from. I've worked with teachers with convictions for DV, drink driving, a caution for being caught having a knee trembler after after-works drinks ( and the HT and governors also knew), undisclosed bankruptcy; the list is endless. I've even worked with teachers who have things on their DBS check.

Dozer Thu 30-Mar-17 07:32:15

You would for racial abuse.

echt Thu 30-Mar-17 07:33:32

OP, your thread title is ridiculous. Why should teachers put up with noise? Would you make the same point about those who operate heavy machinery at work.?

On the other hand, their language and behaviour is enough to jeopardise their qualifying as teachers, so consider dobbing them in.

piefacedClique Thu 30-Mar-17 07:35:26

Contact their landlord. Schools have got enough to deal with without dealing with problems their trainee teachers have in their lives outside of school. If they were wandering around wearing something clearly identifying the school they were from and using the n word for the whole street to hear it's a different thing but I'd imagine it's not. Sorry they are being arseholes tho.

SweepTheHalls Thu 30-Mar-17 07:36:02

Please do contact their training provider if you know it, with details of the police reports you gave made. This goes against part 2 of the Teaching Standards. Racists language is never tolerated by a professional. Being grumpy is unfortunate, but racists unacceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now