Talk

Advanced search

To take notes into my interview tomorrow

(12 Posts)
Northend77 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:40:33

I have an internal interview tomorrow afternoon because of a restructure. I am basically interviewing for my role, albeit under a new job title, and the interview panel will be my manager and an independent IT Project Manager (who knows me). I am really stressed out about it because I've never done an internal interview like this before - I want to remain professional but I know that it will be more casual than a standard interview. I have even worried about whether I shake hands or not as we will all be walking into the meeting room together from our desks!!

I am making notes/bullet points tonight based on the role competencies listed in the job description but would it be reasonable of me to take these into the interview? I was only given 2 days notice and in that time both of my twins have fallen ill and I've had several nosebleeds and migraines (fairly sure these are just stress related) so haven't had a chance to memorise my notes and I just don't want to miss anything out

Would this look ridiculous?

JustHereForThePooStories Wed 29-Mar-17 21:44:10

I spend a lot of time sitting on very formal interview panels and often have people bringing in notes. Once it's discreet and you're not spending the interview looking down at notes or constantly flipping pages, you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

BlueRingedOctupus Wed 29-Mar-17 21:45:18

Go for it. I think it'll be fine.

If it was an external interview i would have said no.

Witch91 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:50:23

I've done a few times now and has a couple with notes. I think it's fine and shows preparedness, just make sure not to read things verbatim and use them as a prompt only. I would also suggest mentioning at the start that you've made some notes and check they are happy if you reference them if required - no one reasonable should say no!

Crumbs1 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:52:17

I'd also encourage people to bring notes. It shows a degree of preparation, can ease nerves and lend a structure that ad lib misses.

ChangingStates Wed 29-Mar-17 21:56:19

I have interviewed several times and am always happy for people to have notes- interviews can be nerve wracking and it's easy to forget to mention stuff. Just make sure they are brief & well organised so you can access anything you want straightaway. You could also consider saying at the beginning that you've brought some notes so you include everything you want to say and. Heck they are ok with that, never known anyone to say no. But as a pp said make sure you don't look at them all the time- lots of eye contact too. Good luck!

topcat2014 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:56:43

Think of it as a meeting, rather than an exam - you can take notes in!

Treat it like a proper interview - no need to shake hands if it really is someone you see regularly, but, for the outside visitor who you maybe see once in a while, a handshake is fine.

If you are nervous, I wouldn't bother with accepting any drinks etc, as it is one less thing to worry about.

Emphasise Wed 29-Mar-17 22:11:44

Yes, notes are fine IMO. Shows you've put some effort into the prep and are taking it seriously

Northend77 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:15:55

Thanks everyone. I am wittling down my notes so that they are very brief bullet points under each competency. As a pp mentioned, they will only be used in the event of me going blank and feeling like I've forgotten an example or important point. I usually do well in interviews but as this one is in front of my existing manager I am just getting stupidly worked up over it! I do feel a bit better having written some notes and I will re-read them in the morning so that I hopefully don't have to use them but I will also mention that I have them at the beginning of the interview and I am fairly sure that won't be an issue

Thanks everyone, fingers crossed!!

FairyPenguin Wed 29-Mar-17 22:19:06

I always take my notes into interviews, along with the job description, any questions I have, etc. Like others have said, it shows you have prepared. I like it when people come to an interview, ask questions, and actually take note of what I've told them. It's not supposed to be a memory test. Good luck.

Brighteyes27 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:24:55

I had an internal interview a few months ago for the same post but more hours. I didn't get it nor did another girl she asked for feedback and was advised to take notes in for future interviews if nervous.

Good luck top tips assume they don't know you and make sure say all you do have done and are capable of etc (rather than leaving it out assuming they know).

I would answer some questions in the short term I think this but in the medium term I think would like to do x (if appropriate to role). As the person who got the job did this.

Also what I found distracting but most of the questions had several parts I was so nervous and the questions were so long I was forgetting the questions I don't know whether or not a pen would be allowed?

Good luck op

rookiemere Wed 29-Mar-17 22:28:13

Yes of course bring them. I brought notes to my recent (succesful) interview. I ended up not using them as the act of thinking about my responses and committing them to paper meant they lodged in my brain.
Plus when I tried I couldn't read my own scribbles blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now