Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have forgotten any rules for a cervical smear test?

(9 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Wed 29-Mar-17 21:38:21

It's been so long since I had one, AIBU to have forgotten any rules for a cervical smear test?

Like does it matter if you have sex the night before one? Wold the nurse be able to tell! Who knows why this even concerns me but I just wondered!

It's meant to be mid-cycle, but I don't have cycles any more.

Any wise nurses or doctors out here! Please?

Thanks. thanks

bingisthebest Wed 29-Mar-17 21:48:04

I'm a nurse and I do smear tests. I'd never really thought about the sex thing but you might see sperm left up there I guess! It might affect the test but unlikely. No other rules but basic hygiene is appreciated. As long as not actual period don't worry whereabouts you are cycle wise. Don't worry about shaving legs or anything like that we barely even notice. I'm always just focused on getting a good sample and making sure the women is not too uncomfortable.

ThatsNotMyToddler Wed 29-Mar-17 21:50:33

Yes to all bing said - you've forgotten the rules because there aren't any!
I'm a GP and do smears. Really, any smear is better than no smear. Good on you for booking especially if it's been a while. It'll all be done in two minutes. Good luck (not that you need it - just seems like the right thing to say!)

elephantoverthehill Wed 29-Mar-17 22:00:01

Italian thank you for starting this thread. I have got to go and get a smear test. I found it impossible, after a C section, then straight into perimenopause, midcycle and to fit it in around work. Please let it be 2 minutes now, not the 20 minutes I have endured in the past with the GP faffing around outside the curtain. I will do it, if you will. smile

carelesswhisper27 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:01:30

My mum always told me to wear a skirt so you can just whip off your knickers and keep some modesty rather than lying there naked from the waist down. I always always do this blush

littlefrog3 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:02:25

The only 'rule' is that you should not have it within 5-6 days of the end of a period. Try and get it done a week to 2 weeks after the last day of your period. It will affect the results if you have periody stuff in there! grin

All the best. smile

Italiangreyhound Wed 29-Mar-17 22:10:07

bingisthebest you sound wonderful! Yes, I was planning on shaving my legs! Which I do not normally do!

Elephant ""0 minutes I have endured in the past with the GP faffing around outside the curtain." This is all sounding too Wizard of Oz!

Careless, yes as going skirted up for once!

Scholes34 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:11:47

You just have to remember to "relax"!

Ginkypig Wed 29-Mar-17 22:35:23

I don't know if it's a silly question but can you ask about getting sterilised at a smear appointment?

I'm due to get one and have wanted to ask for a while but didn't want to waste a gp appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now