Talk

Advanced search

To expect vendor to allow structural engineer to investigate

(10 Posts)
adriennewillfly Wed 29-Mar-17 20:52:18

So, I put an offer on a house which was accepted. At the time, the vendor claimed all the paperwork was in place for a loft extension, but it turned out they didn't after we had the conveyancers exchange paperwork. To proceed, we agreed to have a structural engineer investigate and we'd share the cost. The vendor have now decided they don't want to do that because of the disruption (of revealing the structure of the property), and told us to sod off.

I don't feel I'm being unreasonable, but the estate agent and vendor are claiming I am being silly, and have put the property back on the market.

wowfudge Wed 29-Mar-17 20:57:09

Let them - the same issue will come up again and you will find something better.

ChasedByBees Wed 29-Mar-17 20:57:18

You're not being unreasonable but they don't have to proceed with the sale unfortunately. I'd wonder what they're trying to hide!

Trifleorbust Wed 29-Mar-17 20:58:49

You either dodged a bullet and they are now trying to find another dupe, or they are just being precious. Of course you weren't unreasonable.

BakeOffBiscuits Wed 29-Mar-17 21:00:55

Yes you would think the vendor would do this but they don't HAVE to do anything. It's their property and come do whatever they like.

zaalitje Wed 29-Mar-17 21:06:20

Am I reading right that you only found out after exchange?
If so that's pretty shoddy on behalf of your conveyancer.

adriennewillfly Wed 29-Mar-17 21:08:03

No - it was in the first round of paperwork. But I'd already had survey and valuation done.

babybarrister Wed 29-Mar-17 21:08:30

Have you actually signed a contract or not?

BrownAjah Wed 29-Mar-17 21:09:52

YANBU. We recently lost a house because they refused to drop the price very slightly to cover a structural fault we discovered (and that they had hidden by omission). We let it go, they went back on the market. We're about to exchange on a nicer, cheaper property and had the satisfaction of telling the first sellers to sod off when they came back trying to renegotiate!

Stick to your guns!

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 29-Mar-17 21:15:00

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. They are within their rights to withdraw from the sale at any time up to exchange, for any reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now