Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel my childhood was a lie: Do YOU know the Birthday Bunny?

(116 Posts)
GeekyWombat Wed 29-Mar-17 19:16:44

DD's birthday is looming and we're in the process of sorting out what we might get her as a gift.

There's one thing that she's particularly excited by, and we've just had a conversation about it in front of DH, at the end of which I said 'well maybe we'll have a word with the Birthday Bunny and see what happens for your birthday.'

My DH is now looking at me like I'm a lunatic.

In our house growing up the Birthday Bunny was like Father Christmas. When it was time for presents he was the one who got the memo (although we didn't write to him, just mentioned what we'd like to Mum who then passed the details on, I always assumed by phone).

I don't remember when I realised my parents were buying the gifts but it wasn't a big reveal or surprise. But the Birthday Bunny was still referred to.

Except DH has never heard of him, and now I've Googled it turns out apart from a slightly racy Urban Dictionary listing he doesn't exist.

Is this a geographical thing? Or did my Mum totally make it up and I never realised? I'm almost 40 and I won't lie, I feel like my life has been a lie. I'm also now thinking I might have to dial back the Birthday Bunny chat before everyone starts looking at DD like she's a loon too...

Have YOU heard of the Birthday Bunny?!

PaperdollCartoon Wed 29-Mar-17 19:19:03

I've never heard of a birthday bunny, it's definitely not a thing. Easter bunny yes but birthday presents come from actual friends and family.

TheSnowFairy Wed 29-Mar-17 19:19:13

Nope wink

frazzled3ds Wed 29-Mar-17 19:19:20

There used to be a bunny on one of the kids tv things that read out birthday cards and did bunny hops for how old the kid was - it may have been ITV or C5 that had it. Other than that, I can't say I've heard of the Birthday Bunny but I like the idea!

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Wed 29-Mar-17 19:20:22

Sorry Geeky I've never heard of him but I wouldn't feel your life was a lie even if your mum did make him up.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Mar-17 19:20:27

Nope never heard of it either

Somerville Wed 29-Mar-17 19:21:33

Your mum sounds really creative and sweet. smile
You should totally keep the tradition of the birthday bunny going.

FumBluff1 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:21:49

Me neither!

ExplodedCloud Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:03

No. No Birthday Bunny has ever visited me.
Bless your dm grin

Gallavich Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:10

Lol no

Missfeebs Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:20

I say birthday bunny don't know where i heard it from and don't know anybody else who does use it but my dc's love the idea of a giant bunny delivering their birthday presents.

TeenAndTween Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:29

nor me.

Lonelynessie Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:44

nope 😂

StarlingMurderation Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:56

No bunnies here but we sometimes talk about Father Birthday!

ScarlettFreestone Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:26

No, it's just you.

But how on earth haven't you realised this before in conversations with friends etc?

toffee1000 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:41

No, no Birthday Bunny here either. Clearly just a family thing.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:56

Er, no. Youre on your own.

We have easyer bunny at easter. Father christmas at christmas. Fairies, elves, trolls...

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 29-Mar-17 19:25:01

Sorry, nope.

But it sounds very sweet, could you just make out that it only visits your family because you're blessed by Chluthlu or something?

Sparkletastic Wed 29-Mar-17 19:25:09

Nope.
Just you.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 29-Mar-17 19:25:17

frazzled Gus Honeybun?

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Wed 29-Mar-17 19:25:20

Wahooo!!
You are not alone except it was the Birthday Bear
Can't even blame my parents, I made it up as dd seemed to think there should be a birthday icon haha

Bumbumtaloo Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:02

No, sorry not the birthday bunny.

They could be friends with the birthday fairy who brings presents in our house.

I don't even know where the birthday fairy cake from! The never existed in mine or dh's childhood but have appeared in our house grin

jelliebelly Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:12

Never heard of a birthday bunny lol

BonjourMeDarlin Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:33

If you live in the west county then yes! Gus Honeybun.

Hiphopopotamus Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:44

No birthday bunny. But we did have the Birthday Fairy - she received the birthday wishes and decorated a very pretty birthday table. We still talk about her now (all very much adults!) Sounds like my mum was just as nuts/sweet as yours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now