Talk

Advanced search

Our scaffolding blocking neighbours sky dish

(196 Posts)
WaxyBean Wed 29-Mar-17 19:15:14

We had scaffolding put up in front of our house today ahead of building works starting Friday and likely lasting 6-8 weeks.

Unfortunately this has blocked the neighbours sky signal - not something we had anticipated happening. I became aware of this late this afternoon after the neighbour insisted that our nanny call me at work to sort this.

Since then I have have had the scaffolders back out to see if anything can be moved to improve the signal - it can't. And I have arranged for her dish to be moved onto our scaffolding for the duration of the works - this will be done late Friday/early Saturday as this is the earliest the recommended engineer can be available.

Neighbour says this is unacceptable and her sky needs to be back by tomorrow. Whilst I sympathise I feel have done everything I can to solve this. Her lack of sky is not my biggest priority and I have spent a considerable amount of time today trying to solve this.

So MNers - who is being unreasonable here?

DaisyBlameless Wed 29-Mar-17 19:17:17

You are I think, but I don't see how else you can fix it.

Are you friends usually?

WorraLiberty Wed 29-Mar-17 19:17:56

Sounds like a stalemate to me in terms of unreasonableness.

Her lack of Sky is not your priority and your scaffolding is not hers either.

I guess there's nothing you can really do except grovel until the engineer sorts it.

StoorieHoose Wed 29-Mar-17 19:19:48

If it was me I be really pissed off cos I don't have a tv aerial and everything comes through my sky dish. Did you really not think that putting up scaffolding in front of your neighbours dish would block the signal? They all point one way for a reason!

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 29-Mar-17 19:20:58

It's an annoying situation unfortunately and obviously not one you anticipated. I'd offer to compensate her for the days she is unable to watch her sky but I can't really think of much else you can do.

CousinChloe Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:08

Could you offer to buy her a Netflix subscription (or similar) starting now to cover the duration of the work?

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 29-Mar-17 19:23:09

The scaffolders for not anticipating this problem that must happen all the time, and a little tiny bit you for not thinking it through - which I totally would have missed too.

You're trying to fix the problem and presumably will pay for it, and it needs to be done properly - apologise profusely but she's going to have to wait.

A bottle of wine or similar and an apology card might help a bit? Or is that overkill?

Jayfee Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:27

you have done what you can. as the scaffolding is on your property, it is really her proplem. you have offered to sort it out, so she should accept that. i think i would gently suggest if she wants it moved sooner, she will have to arrange and pay for it. this is a very common occurrence.

ChasedByBees Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:29

Does Sky include wifi as well? This could be affecting her ability to work.

Sallygoroundthemoon Wed 29-Mar-17 19:25:17

We had this happen and it was very frustrating (it was our scaffolding and sky). Up to the scaffolders to fix ASAP and you to apologise profusely and compensate.

Stripeymug Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:12

We had this situation when having windows done, we ended up removing that bit of scaffold and only putting it back when those windows were put in, only for a day.

It will only be a pole or small section that is actually blocking the signal, can you do similar? only put it there when that section is needed? or if she is out all day could the offending section of scaffold be taken down when builders leave for the day?

Theknittinggorilla Wed 29-Mar-17 19:26:51

This happened to us with my neighbour's extension. Whole thing was a nightmare for us (for a year, during which I had a baby) and this was the final straw in a massive list of inconveniences for us, at the end of which we of course saw no benefit. They also had the attitude that they had bigger problems to deal with, but of course they were making all the decisions and getting all the benefit of the work in the end.

In my opinion you should do everything you can to fix the problem asap and be apologetic to your neighbour.

MaisyPops Wed 29-Mar-17 19:27:58

If her sky box is on her building and ypur scaffplding is on your property then its just poor luck.

You've made suggestions, you were even willing to get an engineer out to move it to minimise disruption (which you dont have to and it proves youre being neighbourly).
If none of that is good enough shes just a whiny bitch and I hope she never needs neighbourly support or good will in the future.

MongerTruffle Wed 29-Mar-17 19:28:10

ChasedByBees
Sky Broadband goes through ADSL or VDSL (telephone) lines, not satellite.

OP Does she have Sky Go which she could use?

user1471548375 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:30:03

You are being unreasonable. Your building work is inconveniencing other people - fix it before continuing.

MaisyPops Wed 29-Mar-17 19:30:39

In my opinion you should do everything you can to fix the problem asap and be apologetic to your neighbour.
The OP has made suggestions to help and the neighbour is being totally unreasonable by saying that essentially the scaffolding has to go (which is unreasonable). Taking scaffolding up/down around a neighbour adds time onto building works and thats more money.
The OP has tried and isjt getting anywhere.

Bets this neighbour also will conplain about vans on the street (i sense a potential parking thread in a week or so!)

WaxyBean Wed 29-Mar-17 19:30:41

Thanks all.

To be clear the scaffolding is not directly in front of her dish (her dish is the other side of her property to ours) but clearly must be blocking the signal getting through. The scaffolders say it is hit and miss whether the signal is blocked and not always predictable and had not mentioned it as a possibility to me prior to this.

We have a somewhat frosty relationship - she refused to acknowledge liability when work to her guttering caused a leak in our house (which we paid to fix) and has been a pain throughout the planning process for the work to our house (which incidentally she has already had done to her house). We have always tried to be accommodating and friendly including allowing her access to our property when she/her builders have needed it.

I thought we were being very reasonable in our response, but maybe I need to consider some goodwill token to make up for 48 hours disruption to her television viewing.

KingPrawnOkay Wed 29-Mar-17 19:33:18

I'd be a bit pissed off too but if can't be helped. If they have Sky then they can watch Sky Go online. Not the same as on their telly but surely it'll do?

MongerTruffle Wed 29-Mar-17 19:34:15

To add to my post, they could connect their laptop via HDMI or VGA to their TV and watch Sky Go.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 29-Mar-17 19:36:10

buy her a Radio Times so she can see what's on the normal tv. grin

Happyandhungry Wed 29-Mar-17 19:36:28

Sod her OP. You've done what you can what is she going to do phone the police?! I wouldn't be so harsh but i just read that her guttering caused your leak which she ignored. I would remind her of that time if I were you and tell her to shut up.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Wed 29-Mar-17 19:38:38

You are the unreasonable one; you are affecting her life and the enjoyment of her property and belongings.

MaisyPops Wed 29-Mar-17 19:40:04

Having read your update she sounds like an awkward self-infulgent cow who's only interested in herself.
Youve been reasonable. Shes been a twat in the past so theres no reason to be overly nice. Sounds like she thinks she can be awkward to get her own way.

Playmobilpeacock Wed 29-Mar-17 19:41:10

I find it a bit odd that 2 days without television would cause such stress.

An minor irritation and an inconvenience but surely not the end of the world?

GoodGirlGoneWrong Wed 29-Mar-17 19:42:37

I don't think your in the wrong here and have been rather good by offering to get the dish moved.

I'm an argumentative bitch tho and would tell her to piss off (I have a very temperamental relationship with my neighbors)...if the scaffolding is on your land it's tough shit, in my eyes. Not sure how you stand legally saying that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now