Talk

Advanced search

Police and jail advice ...

(42 Posts)
user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:52:56

I wasn't sure where to post so il try here.
Apologies if I'm in wrong spot..
Ok a man was arrested 8 months ago after a girl (16) accused him of something (he didn't do it and no cctv ) then 3 other girls (her friends) came forward claiming the same thing.
He was released on bail and that bail date keeps getting extended as cps are looking at case.
Surely if there's no evidence just word of mouth from girls then it can't go to court?
If they keep extending bail does that mean that they have nothing on him otherwise it would of been sent to court before now?
Anybody could claim anything they can't take people's word for it can they?

mouldycheesefan Wed 29-Mar-17 14:57:46

🙄
You have no idea what evidence they have.
Testimony from 4 people is more compelling than the testimony from one person I.e the original complainant.
The CPS will assess the evidence and make a decision whether there is sufficient to go to court. If doesn't go to court doesn't mean the alleged perpetrator is innocent, just that there was insufficient evidence.
Of course they can take people's word for it. It's for a jury to decide who to believe. I know someone who was a juror on a historic abuse case. Only verbal testimony. Was convicted. But equally others aren't.

If you are in a relationship with a potential abuser, consider your decisions and position carefully.

user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:59:56

No just a hypothetical question..

mouldycheesefan Wed 29-Mar-17 15:00:49

If you are writing a novel it's "would have" rather than "would of."
HTH

RayofFuckingSunshine Wed 29-Mar-17 15:02:01

How do you know he didn't do it? Were you there? Did you witness the alleged incident?

The CPS will be investigating and they may well have evidence that they haven't shared with you. They generally don't pick up the phone every time something new comes to light to share with Joe public.

And yes. They can prosecute, successfully, on witness testimony.

Side note. Even if they don't decide to go to court, it DOES NOT mean he is innocent, only that there was not enough evidence to proceed with good chances of getting a guilty verdict.

user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:04:57

It's a scary world to think anyone with a Vendetta against someone can just say whatever and cause trouble for them.
I guess you have to put your faith in justice system

Theresnonamesleft Wed 29-Mar-17 15:05:17

Maybe more have come forward

witsender Wed 29-Mar-17 15:07:25

It is actually the word of 4 people against the word of 1 isn't it. Of course the CPS won't let it go without a thorough investigation. There are only a couple of people who know what really happened, and unless you are the accused you are not one of them.

SookiesSocks Wed 29-Mar-17 15:07:59

This is why the police investigate but anyone can make any alligation.

user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:09:05

I don't really understand how things like this work if I'm honest.

SenseiWoo Wed 29-Mar-17 15:10:31

What people say is evidence. There are different kinds of evidence: oral evidence, documentary evidence, photographic evidence etc.

Case do go to court where there is only oral evidence. The magistrate/judge/jury is left to decide whose oral evidence they prefer-the defendant, or the accusers/witnesses. However, it isn't purely a numbers game where the side with the most witnesses wins.

SookiesSocks Wed 29-Mar-17 15:11:38

Whats to understand?

People report things to the police.
The police investigate.
If they have enough evidence to support the complaint they charge the person then it goes to court.
If they dont then they are released without charge.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Wed 29-Mar-17 15:14:59

Well, 4 people... Not just one person.

But yes, it is. Which is why it's in dubio pro reo. Anyhow, whilst we wish the system and the law was always just... It's not.

Btw, I'm kind of expecting this to be deleted before I can even post my comment...

Wondermoomin Wed 29-Mar-17 15:18:37

No just a hypothetical question..

Really hmm

loobyloo1234 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:20:23

Of course, but the case will only go to court if the CPS believe the word of those 4 people given the evidence that is presented

nogrip Wed 29-Mar-17 15:20:33

What's your angle OP? Why are you asking?

BonnyScotland Wed 29-Mar-17 15:20:52

When one alleged victim comes forward and makes an allegation... it is recorded and investigated... when further alleged victims come forward and make allegations... it is also recorded and investigated....

However... this now allows the Police to confirm a 'Pattern of Behaviour' thus proving a more solid case against the Accused... where there is no cctv dna or witnesses... the 'Pattern of behaviour' can help prove a case ...

GeorgiePeachie Wed 29-Mar-17 15:22:10

OP a lot is done on word of mouth. that's why they cross reference the stories.

Footle Wed 29-Mar-17 15:22:48

There are legal systems in which the only acceptable evidence of a sexual offence is the word of four respectable adult males. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?

Happyandhungry Wed 29-Mar-17 15:24:52

I guess its sexual assault of some kind? Probably best if you can explain your involvement so people can give you some advice, your post is far too vague and saying "its hypothetical" means no one will want to "help" you?

FlyingElbows Wed 29-Mar-17 15:26:32

Surely there are far better resources than mumsnet to research the legal process surrounding your "hypothetical" situation?

user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:33:45

No i was wondering what would happen if it was items going missing out of handbags ..purse/phone etc
Its actually a friends boyfriend who works in a nightclub cloak room and things have been reported as missing but he claims not to have taken them.
She's really worried and I don't have a clue how to give her peace of mind.

blueskyinmarch Wed 29-Mar-17 15:33:51

They will have taken statements form the 4 girls then crossed referenced them to see if their narratives check out. If other people have been told about this or are in some way relevant to the issue, those people will have statements taken too. It can take an age to do all this. People are unavailable or they keep changing the story so other things need to be followed up. I assume then the police will hand everything over to the CPS and they will decide if there is a case to answer to or not. (I work in Scotland and know everything goes to the Procurator Fiscal and they decide on whether to prosecute or not.) I am often cited for cases i was involved in 2 or 3 years ago. The wheels of justice turn very slowly.

user1490538976 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:35:59

I personally thought it was odd how a busy nightclub had no cctv of a cloakroom..you would think with valuables being in ...cctv would of Been in place

JaneEyre70 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:39:25

I guess you have to believe that the CPS would fully investigate whether there is a chance of successful prosecution in this case. They are the ones who decide if a case gets to court rather than the Police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now