Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if people don't realise how LOUD they are?

(21 Posts)
Germgirl Wed 29-Mar-17 14:18:41

Or maybe they just just don't care
I was on a bus earlier. Front seat at the top, so I was 'driving' (very exciting!)
A lady got on and sat directly behind me. She took out her phone and made a call. Her opening words were "I'm on a bus so I can talk to you properly"
She then spent 30 minutes talking about work. Work she'd done, how much she was going to claim (£250 per job but she wanted £400), what to say to 'them' to get them to pay her the £400, acknowledging that she wouldn't get the £400, and on, and on, and ON!
All at high volume. Such high volume that at times it actually hurt to only be two feet in front of her.
Being a typical English wimp I obviously didn't say a word to her. But I was thinking, lots of people have loud conversations on the bus, train, wherever. It doesn't seem to worry them at all. Do they not realise just how very very loud they are?
Obviously I could have moved but I was driving the bus!!
(Sitting at the front at the top)

gandalf456 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:25:24

It's phone calls, isn't it? I think it's better when they talk face to face there's something about phones that make people loud

SilverDiary Wed 29-Mar-17 14:27:03

Gives me the rage, that.

In a quiet hospital cafe the other day, another woman - always women - gets out her stoopid phone and at the top of her voice starts shouting about her father's cancer, really personal stuff. For sure, why don't they STFU.

I'd like to say something ... how about "Could you talk a bit more loudly as I can't quite hear everything your're saying?" But I'd have to be on top form for that. I think some people are just ignorant, what else can you say?

Germgirl Wed 29-Mar-17 14:27:05

Mostly yes, although I've seen quite a few loud conversations between face to face people too. I just don't get it. If I have to talk on my phone in public I do so quickly and quietly. It seems I'm in a minority there though.

ilovesooty Wed 29-Mar-17 14:28:35

I'm sitting on a bus with a child in a buggy playing Peppa Pig at full volume on a tablet. angry

Lucked Wed 29-Mar-17 14:29:36

My 5 year old doesn't, I am constantly telling him to lower his voice, especially in restaurants. I am hoping he will develop some self awareness before adulthood though.

Veronicat Wed 29-Mar-17 14:31:12

I'm sitting on the bus hoping I don't stink as I've been to the gym .

Gaaaah Wed 29-Mar-17 14:33:37

In the case of my husband, he just doesn't realise as he has hearing loss in both ears. His particular hearing loss makes it really hard for him to hear voices especially so being on a train or bus with background noise and road/track noise would have him yelling at full pitch unfortunately.

Germgirl Wed 29-Mar-17 14:58:47

Children and the hard of hearing is perfectly understandable. I don't think this lady was hard if hearing. Surely if she had been I'd have been able to hear the person she was talking to as she'd have had her phone volume right up. I couldn't hear the other person at all. She was just a very LOUD lady!

MrsTrentReznor Wed 29-Mar-17 15:30:40

I was sitting near a bloke in a cafe the other day that was so ear-splittingly loud I had to move.
I simply couldn't hear my DP over him. DP was leaning in really close to try and have a conversation but we had to give up!
Fucking Foghorn Leghorn type bloke!!

mumgointhroughtorture Wed 29-Mar-17 15:31:17

My mum is really loud due to hearing loss but when she is talking to her family it's almost like she turns up the volume even more . I don't know if it's coz she grew up in a big , loud household but she rang my Nan on Mothers Day and even my Nan couldn't understand her she was shouting down the phone and we had to tell her to quieten down , she hasn't realised how loud she was talking (shouting) maybe some people are used to not getting a word in edgeways so with different people they shout .
It's annoying tho and almost attention seeking like they want everyone to hear their conversation and they change the tone thinking it makes them look good (but really we are thinking "what an idiot")

sooperdooper Wed 29-Mar-17 15:33:03

Our neighbours constantly shouting in the street, all the bloody time - makes me want to kill them

kesstrel Wed 29-Mar-17 15:38:47

My adult dd1 has dyspraxia and it makes her sometimes unaware of her volume level. There are so many difficulties that this "hidden" disability gives her....sad

harderandharder2breathe Wed 29-Mar-17 15:39:15

I work with some very loud people, to the point it affects others. They know how loud they are. They don't give a shit. Fuckers.

GaryGilmoresEyes Wed 29-Mar-17 15:53:38

I work with someone who eats nosiely at her desk all day, slurps, gulps, smacks her lips. I want to kill her.

CigarsofthePharoahs Wed 29-Mar-17 15:59:16

My grandma was always very loud. Her father had hearing loss and she just got used yo talking at a high volume.
I have to remind my 6 year old that if I'm sat right next to him he really doesn't need to yell, I can hear perfectly well!
Loud drunk people are the worst though. No, you're not funny, you're just annoying.

MrsTrentReznor Wed 29-Mar-17 16:00:54

I work with someone who eats nosiely at her desk all day, slurps, gulps, smacks her lips. I want to kill her

I moved offices to get away from one of these! Except every mouthful was also accompanied with "Hmmm! Mmmm!" Sounds. angry

Germgirl Wed 29-Mar-17 16:28:28

* work with someone who eats nosiely at her desk all day, slurps, gulps, smacks her lips. I want to kill her.*
That would send me completely over the top. I would not be able to cope. I have misophonia, eating noises are my absolute nemesis

fussychica Wed 29-Mar-17 16:52:03

It seems really common now. I have a friend who is really loud and I find it a bit uncomfortable if we are out somewhere and it's fairly quiet until she speaks! She knows she's loud but doesn't seem to worry, even when her DH mentions it.

Nicotina Wed 29-Mar-17 16:54:57

There's someone in my office who doesn't have volume control on her voice. And she whines.

WhiteCaribou Wed 29-Mar-17 17:15:50

My DD's fiancée is from the USA and when she comes to visit she is SO loud! She's quite excitable and her voice is like a foghorn, I can stand it, I have to go out. Last time she came for a couple of weeks we went away for a few days break to get away from it, it's so wearing having this mega loud voice in the house 24/7. I dont feel like I can say anything to my DD though, I don't want to spoil the visit. Just can't wait for her to go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now