Talk

Advanced search

To have been pissed off by this?

(34 Posts)
Justofftotheshops Wed 29-Mar-17 14:00:35

My sister invited close family member out this weekend as was going to see an events with big group of friends. I had organised it. Family member rattled off everything else she was doing that weekend, she said she would see confused

I cooly said it was fine, I was going with a big group and just to let me know... normally would have fallen over myself saying doesn't worry at all, not to rush etc etc. She is a bit like an older sister to me - both 20s, no kids.

She seemed bit taken aback by my reaction

HarryPottersMagicWand Wed 29-Mar-17 14:06:42

Why would you be pissed off.

Seems like a real non event to me. Family member is invited, not sure if they can make it. End of discussion. Cannot see the issue here at all.

Justofftotheshops Wed 29-Mar-17 14:09:23

It was the way she approached it - listing off loads of events in a really undcessary way. As if I would be decestated she couldn't make it? Just a bit ostentatious

LadyPW Wed 29-Mar-17 14:18:26

Maybe she was listing all the events so you wouldn't think she was waiting to see if she'd get a better offer? If someone said "I'm not sure because of x, y and z" I'd be happier than if they said "I'm not sure, I'll think about it". Though to be fair "I'll think about it" would only bother me if I was in a "needing a decision to organise my own life" mood.
I don't see a problem

BonnyScotland Wed 29-Mar-17 14:35:41

I'm confused....

Littledidsheknow Wed 29-Mar-17 14:37:43

Not seeing the issue here confused

DermotOLogical Wed 29-Mar-17 14:38:49

Eh? What's the issue?

BorpBorpBorp Wed 29-Mar-17 14:39:03

An alternative reading of the situation is that the family member doesn't want to come, and feels like she needs a good excuse (i.e. busy doing all these things) to decline the invitation.

MadMags Wed 29-Mar-17 14:39:14

What??

BagittoGo Wed 29-Mar-17 14:41:34

Sounds like she a bit miffed that your response was very much casual. Good on you. Self important people do my head in. Don't chase her either. Either she graces you with her presence or you'll be having fun with other friends.

Hannahbanana1725 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:42:31

Eh?

BounceBounceSplishSplash Wed 29-Mar-17 14:43:24

I think you're reading a bit too much into things here OP.

CoolJazz Wed 29-Mar-17 14:45:13

person invited, person can't make it, other person OK with that??

Non-event.

Crumbleface Wed 29-Mar-17 14:46:31

I would usually say what I was actually planning on doing instead, just so the person asking wouldn't think I was BSing them.

She's basically saying what she is thinking by the sounds of it. In other words, recalling her plans aloud. I do it all the time because I have a crap memory. I know there's something on, but have struggle to remember what.

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 29-Mar-17 14:48:06

confused I Don't understand, what's the actual problem?

Birdsgottaf1y Wed 29-Mar-17 14:52:01

If she's so close to you, why wasn't she originally invited, is it that she feels left out and as though your Sister asked her as an afterthought?

NerrSnerr Wed 29-Mar-17 14:53:41

So someone got invited somewhere and they declined? What's the issue?

Mulberry72 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:58:49

I really don't see what the issue is?

biscuit

KinkyAfro Wed 29-Mar-17 14:59:37

Another not getting it

spaghettithrower Wed 29-Mar-17 15:00:00

Don't understand the problem either.
You organized something. Your sister invited family member.
Family member already had a lot on.
End of story.

Only1scoop Wed 29-Mar-17 15:00:25

I'm missing the point?

Barbie222 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:03:56

I know someone like this. In her case, it's about making it very clear that you are well down her priority list for activities, just in case you were lingering under the impression that she would, well, like to spend time with you. It pisses me off. It's become a self fulfilling prophecy for her too, as she no longer gets invited out much because everyone assumes she's got more exciting things to do.

Butterymuffin Wed 29-Mar-17 15:06:18

I presume there's a back story where you make the effort and she plays it cool and busy busy? If so then yes, it's probably time to step back a bit.

PoorYorick Wed 29-Mar-17 15:07:17

"Yorick, do you want to join us at the pub on Sunday evening?"

"Ooh, that sounds lovely. Only thing is, I've got to write up a report for work. I've got the baby by myself all day on Saturday and on Sunday I've got a hair appointment and I'm taking my mother food shopping, so it depends on whether I can get it done on Saturday evening. But I'll let you know as soon as I can. Thanks very much."

Is that rude? It's amazing anyone still talks to me.

DaisyBlameless Wed 29-Mar-17 15:10:24

Eh? I think she was right that you really wanted her to go though wasn't she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now