Talk

Advanced search

To think Nick Clegg would of made a great PM

(172 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Wed 29-Mar-17 08:32:35

He's speaking such common sense on brexit and how much of a mess it will be and most people who voted to exit have no clue. It's such a shame his career is over sad

jaws5 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:41:35

Absolutely agree, he has consistently shown intelligence, reason and humanity, as opposed to the backward "citizens of nowhere" discourse that has become the norm.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 29-Mar-17 08:48:47

Nope, he is not a leader. He is weak willed and showed his incompetence in the role of leader when he was Dep PM in particular. He is also a politician who reneged on promises when he got his coveted 2nd place role.

I was ashamed of him as leader of the party I had voted for back then. Never again will I vote for them and he is the main reason.

80sMum Wed 29-Mar-17 08:52:02

I am inclined to agree, OP. He has certainly gone up in my estimation by several orders of magnitude since the referendum.

WellTidy Wed 29-Mar-17 08:52:07

Everyone remembers Nick Clegg for his U-Turn on university fees. Unfortunately, they do not remember him for introducing pupil premium, which came from outside the education budget. But pupil premium was a Lib Dem manifesto pledge, which they did deliver.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 29-Mar-17 08:53:05

No, he's too wet.

EastMidsMummy Wed 29-Mar-17 08:59:07

Nick Clegg was a key part of a government that brought the misery of austerity to millions and created hundreds of billions of pounds of unnecessary debt to our nation. No thanks.

purplecoathanger Wed 29-Mar-17 09:00:13

Wet, wet, wet.....

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Wed 29-Mar-17 09:00:46

I agree OP.

Semaphorically Wed 29-Mar-17 09:01:15

Common sense is unfortunately not a leadership characteristic.

Doyouwantabrew Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:12

Are you insane?

Cowgirls agreed with the last person he speaks to. He was up Cameron's arse and a poodle. The EU negotiators would rip him apart.

Doyouwantabrew Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:38

Clegg not cowgirls..

OwlinaTree Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:52

Yes he's remembered for what he failed to do unfortunately. He's killed off the lib dems really. Lembit Opick didn't help their cause!

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 29-Mar-17 09:03:31

He had plenty of chance to show his skills so no, I think he would have been very weak.

LineysRun Wed 29-Mar-17 09:03:46

I used to really admire him, but then came tuition fees, and his handling of the Rennard and Hancock sagas was just bizarre. The Rennard debacle in particular showed unhealthy power bases within the Lib Dems in the Lords - completely contrary to the Party's own constitution - that Clegg seemed cowed by.

However, he is head and shoulders above May and her team.

And indeed head and shoulders above Farron - the thought of an evangelical Christian leading the Lib Dems just seems really strange to me, given the Party's ethos and demographic. I'm fairly sure they'll get tangled up over women's reproductive rights somewhere along the line, as he won't lead on this - he'll stand back and watch while attempts are made to remove those rights and his Lib Dem troops are left fighting without a leader, and getting evermore pissed off.

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Wed 29-Mar-17 09:04:16

Funny how many look at "strength" often aka "stubbornness" and "intransigence" as our preferred characteristic in a leader.

SaucyJack Wed 29-Mar-17 09:05:03

Nope.

He had his chance to shine when he was part of the coalition. He failed.

He's like one of those cowards who hang around with the school bully and stand there watching when the younger kids get beaten up.

BusterTheBulldog Wed 29-Mar-17 09:05:21

I also think he's the definite best of a bad bunch, but can't forgive him for tuition fees u turn. He is a voice of sense at the moment though.

KittyWindbag Wed 29-Mar-17 09:05:54

He is really good at talking the talk, and I don't think he's a bad man. But he showed that he wasn't able to walk the walk.

LadyTennantofTardis Wed 29-Mar-17 09:06:17

Yes, it's clear to me the role he played in limiting some of the damaging conservative policies we are now suffering through. I don't see it as renaging on promises as they were made on the basis of being the only party in power. As part of the coalition I believe they achieved some great things that never would have happened under the tories.

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Wed 29-Mar-17 09:06:53

So many people "can't forgive" his U turn on tuition fees. So they vote Conservative instead.

highinthesky Wed 29-Mar-17 09:08:29

Good bloke, yes. Eye candy, yes.

PM material - no. He's just too nice.

LineysRun Wed 29-Mar-17 09:09:03

Sukey Very good point.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 29-Mar-17 09:09:32

He was partly at fault for decimating the Lib Dems. Broke their biggest manifesto pledge. Was partly responsible for cuts.

No thank you.

Easy to say stuff when you have no chance of power. Not sure his stance would be like this if they were still in coalition.

megletthesecond Wed 29-Mar-17 09:09:49

Probably. The extracts from his book gave me the impression the tories had shafted him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now