Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how to tip cleaners?

(10 Posts)
FabulousUsername Wed 29-Mar-17 08:24:31

Should I? They've been coming for 3 weeks now, 2 of them for 2 hours is £60. I'm sure some goes to their agency. I'm not used to this and i get really stressed before they come but I'm sure they do a great job. Today I want to ask them to do some ironing (says in the description they will do this) and i thought I'd give them a tip as they did a great job ironing my duvet covers and making the bed last time...But should I? And how?

If it was only 1 I could give £5 and it would be a token tip (i think £60 is a lot. Place isn't too bad) but it's a bit cheap for 2 to share. But 5 each is perhaps too much? Or just right?

I'm thinking about cancelling (supposed to be a treat for me as i work long hours) just due to the stress! I'm wondering if they are talking about me being too easy on them or alternatively complaining i don't tip them!

ShatnersWig Wed 29-Mar-17 08:33:41

I do not get this tipping lark at all. Person is employed to do a job at £x. Person does job.

I particularly don't get tipping of hairdressers. I know loads of jobs that get paid far less than a lot of cleaners I know but I don't see anyone tipping them.

If you think your cleaners are under paid, then find cleaners who aren't part of an agency, pay them more than you pay your current cleaners and don't worry about tipping them because you can have a clean conscience that you're paying appropriately.

brexitstolemyfuture Wed 29-Mar-17 08:40:11

Don't dip, give birthday and Xmas presents though.

Happyandhungry Wed 29-Mar-17 08:41:05

I think £5 between them is ok, i expect they don't ever get a tip. I don't see why having cleaners is causing you stress, you're just over thinking.

FabulousUsername Wed 29-Mar-17 08:42:05

Thanks Shatner. I think I'm going to do the usual and give them the £60 and run out the door. I'm fed up with the stress of trying to work it out and I'm thinking that other than restaurants I'm not going to bother and have a clear conscience. Just came back from a holiday where i felt like i was handing out money all the time, I'd prefer to just pay and not have to be thinking about it!

sparechange Wed 29-Mar-17 08:43:03

I don't tip but give a week's pay as a Christmas present, and give a bottle of wine for her birthday

£15 an hour is already quite a lot for a cleaner so I don't think they have any expectation that you will tip on top

MollyHuaCha Wed 29-Mar-17 08:43:21

* they did a great job making the bed last time*...

hmmgrin

FabulousUsername Wed 29-Mar-17 08:43:26

Thanks all. Need to run back and pay them now. Might throw an extra £5 in. I'm definitely over thinking this grin

Ilovewillow Wed 29-Mar-17 08:46:02

I don't tip our cleaner but I do always give her a Christmas present. She is not a contract cleaner and specified the price so I think she would probably be offended if I started tipping her to do what we agreed upon anyway. If she did extra I would pay for her time.

DancingLedge Wed 29-Mar-17 09:59:04

Used to do lots of private cleaning, never expected or got a tip, apart from Christmas, when most people came up with weeks wages as bonus, which I was very grateful for.

Obviously, if asked to do something that took more time, would expect more money for that.

Don't underestimate how much it means to a cleaner to be thanked for good work, and comments made if they're doing a good job. But tipping? No , don't worry about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now