Talk

Advanced search

To Do not so cute babies often become cuter as they get older?

(29 Posts)
pedropony1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:54:55

My nephew is a lovely smiley happy baby (7mo), but is not particularly 'cute'... my sister is very sensitive about it, but I am convinced he will get cuter as he gets older.

Do you know babies that have grown into their looks with age?

pedropony1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:55:29

Oops pls excuse typo in the header πŸ™ˆ

Lotalota Tue 28-Mar-17 20:56:30

I was a hideous baby but an adorable 2 year old. I think older babies are generally cuter than newborns

StarlingMurderation Tue 28-Mar-17 20:56:55

Some definitely do - I've known babies to 'grow into' their looks at 2 or older. Especially if there's one defining feature that makes them look less 'baby-like', such as their nose for example.

kimann Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:10

My son was a very smiley baby when he was born - I wouldn't say he was particularly cute etc... now he's 6 months, still a happy smiley baby and I think he looks cute now (but I may be biased!) grin

Camomila Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:38

I'd say that I was a much cuter baby/toddler than my DBro but he's grown into the more attractive adult. So swings and roundabouts.

Scribblegirl Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:41

Ooh god yeah my cousin's kid. Looked like an alien at birth, is now the most angel haired perfect looking 2 year old!

StarlingMurderation Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:59

And bald babies often look better once they get hair! I think all of my NCT group's babies look better as 2 year olds than they did as tiny babies (except DS who was obviously gorgeous right from day oneπŸ˜‰).

lionsleepstonight Tue 28-Mar-17 20:59:16

I think the best thing to do is insist he's cute now.
I see loads of non cute babies and always comment how gorgeous they are. I'm not blind, just polite.

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Tue 28-Mar-17 20:59:45

My son is the most precious thing in the world to me, but he was definitely a bit of an ugly duckling. Not the cutest of babies, but he's now 2 and definitely much cuter!

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:01:51

Absolutely babies often get cuter.

I also think that how cute a child is at 4 or 5 is a very poor guide to how attractive they will be as a teenager/young adult. It's the ones with neat, clear cut features who grow up to be the stunners, not the ones who are all chubby cheeks and dimples.

armpitz Tue 28-Mar-17 21:03:23

Agree with that tinkly

I think a lot of toddlers go through an odd looking stage where they are child sized but still babies really and so the curly hair and toddler clothes look a bit odd.

TiredCluelessMummy Tue 28-Mar-17 21:03:38

I think sometimes babies can go through phases of looking cute and looking a bit...funny. They change so much (going through chubbier/leaner stages, getting teeth, getting hair etc) that I find they can start off cute, go a bit 'meh' and then be cute again after a while. Or vice versa unfortunately πŸ˜‚

pedropony1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:12:19

Thanks for the replies :-)

I agree lions and I do say that but she won't have it!

DalaHorse Tue 28-Mar-17 21:20:07

I once read that children are their cutest at 2 years old, something to do with body proportions and facial fat (I think it was a great photographer who said it) and after 2, if they're going to be good looking as an older child you can still see it, as the cute looks wane as children get older faces but good bone structure and features are still present.

Having said that I was cute as a toddler and young child, then when I got gappy teeth I definitely went through an ugly duckling stage from 9-15, then I went ok again and was considered very pretty from 20 onwards (now just "good for my age" in my 40s, alas!) so ugly tweens/teens can and do definitely blossom.

SleepOhHowIMissYou Tue 28-Mar-17 21:20:46

Yes, definitely.

The ugliest baby I ever knew (even his mother owned it) was a gorgeous looking toddler and child, and has so far avoided the gangly awkwardness of early teenagehood.

Questioningeverything Tue 28-Mar-17 21:22:22

I saw a baby today- now I'm not being rude but he wasn't what I'd call cute. My son beside him... no contest. I know, biased. But true. I made a huge fuss about what a lovely baby he was, what lovely hair and eyes... all the things people should say about a baby... I find telling people the baby looks like them goes down well. Cause you're not gonna (unless you're me) say god the poor child!
With every baby they have their cute aspects. My friends ds wasn't what I'd call cute but now at 6 months he's to die for. Definitely grown into his looks

DalaHorse Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:30

Oh and those who are considered very pretty at 13-19 can wane in their 20s, I've noticed. (Not always but some children make extremely attractive teens but not adults, again it's to do with facial fat). Some do peak too soon and some are late bloomers, the late bloomers last longer - suiting their adult features more than their child/teenage features).

thecatsarecrazy Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:42

My middle son wasn't the cutest of babies but when his hair grew he was a much better looking boy, pure blonde. My youngest was born with a full head of black hair he's only 2 months and adorable.

MadMags Tue 28-Mar-17 21:25:21

My sister was an absolute troll as a baby and she turned out stunning from about 18 months to 30 years, the cow! grin

WyfOfBathe Tue 28-Mar-17 21:26:53

DD1 was a pretty baby, but not particularly cute as a young toddler. She's now 5 and gorgeous again in my opinion

armpitz Tue 28-Mar-17 21:29:35

There's one or two unpleasant posts on here, you know.

Screwinthetuna Tue 28-Mar-17 21:32:33

Definitely, I often look back at my kids' newborn pics and think they don't look anywhere near as cute as I thought they were at the time, haha!
Big boggly eyes that are too big for their newborn face made for lovely looking children smile

Huskylover1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:33:47

Gosh, this made me think of my DD. She was a very odd looking baby! Actually that's a bit OTT. But my son (older) was blonde curls, blue eyes, absolutely angelic, then DD came along and she was very red faced, very chunky, her eyes seemed too small and her nose too big, her hair was wispy....lol. She is now 18 yrs old, and without sounding up my own arse, she is so stunning she could be a supermodel she won't be at 5ft 2 She has thick wavy hair down to her waist, huge blue eyes, button nose....all opposite to when she was little. She grew in to her looks, at about 7 years old.

Henrysmycat Tue 28-Mar-17 21:40:21

My kid was a buttugly baby. She was squashed and red and then had jaundice until month 4! Things improved after that she's a really beautiful 8 yo.
I was fairly consistently good looking as a child and young adult. Now my huge cheeks have travelled south and I'm trying to salvage them.
Up and down. You never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now