Talk

Advanced search

To have quite enjoyed the Legs-it headline

(112 Posts)
smashedinductionhob Tue 28-Mar-17 19:36:28

I may regret posting this.....

I am a proud feminist who reads The Observer and am currently rereading a biography of Mary Wollstonecraft.

I am very depressed about Brexit and usually really hate The Daily Mail.

I saw the photo of May and Sturgeon yesterday and thought for a moment "ooh who knew they both had nice legs?" And vaguely thought it was nice to see two somewhat older women expressing both power and sexuality.

Then when I saw the headline today I smiled.

I thought it wasn't like the 70s at all. Not one little bit.

Just want to put an alternative feminist perspective.

Like I said, I may regret this but I do think Private Eye would have got away with this.

MagnumAddict Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:53

'Ooh who knew the both have nice legs'

Who the fuck cares?!!!!!

You must be on the wind up, surely.

Unpropergrammer Tue 28-Mar-17 19:39:38

I'm not sure how any feminist could share your viewpoint to be honest?

Euphemia Tue 28-Mar-17 19:40:47

They weren't "expressing sexuality". They were doing their jobs whilst wearing clothes and sitting down.

hmm

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Mar-17 19:41:31

This is a joke?

RoseSonata Tue 28-Mar-17 19:42:05

I've complained about this article to the Independent Press Standards Organisation. Here's the link if you want to do the same

www.ipso.co.uk

smashedinductionhob Tue 28-Mar-17 19:43:11

No not a wind up.

Did no one else notice their nice legs pre DM.?

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Mar-17 19:44:26

Why on earth do their legs matter?

DoItTooJulia Tue 28-Mar-17 19:44:30

I think I understand a little bit. It was great to see women being powerful and looking like women while they did it.

I hated the camera angle and the headline and the slightly grubby slant the DM managed to put on it though.

Rainydayspending Tue 28-Mar-17 19:45:01

Yes. That's obviously all genuine. confused
Shit headline. Crap photo badly written article. So the Daily Mail managed to get their monkeys to produce something near to English and managed to add a picture with publisher too. Gold star for them. Can we talk about something else now?

tinglyfing Tue 28-Mar-17 19:45:15

Good one

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Mar-17 19:45:30

I think I understand a little bit. It was great to see women being powerful and looking like women while they did it.

Looking like women? So proper women wear skirts then? hmm

msrisotto Tue 28-Mar-17 19:46:35

No, I hadn't noticed their legs before that headline. Why the fuck would I? They're fucking politicians!

Elanetical Tue 28-Mar-17 19:47:35

Having watched Julia Gillard constantly fight overt and also subtle sexism because many people in Australia secretly believed she couldn't do the job properly as she was a woman and wanted to undermine her at every turn, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Focusing on powerful women's decorative status as the headline is a way of saying "back in your laydee box".

smashedinductionhob Tue 28-Mar-17 19:47:54

I am now wondering why I noticed their (nice) legs pre daily mail.

DoItTooJulia Tue 28-Mar-17 19:49:03

No, purple, you're getting me wrong. Just not hiding away, or wearing an evening gown, just like women. Normal women that go to work, like
millions of other women. Not pop star women, or movie star women or princess women. Just women.

user1471517900 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:49:22

It's a great point. The first thing we all think of when we see Michael Gove or Boris Johnson is "I wish we'd see more of his legs to show he can be a man and a sexual being"

Lunaballoon Tue 28-Mar-17 19:49:33

Is that you Sarah?

tinglyfing Tue 28-Mar-17 19:50:50

Where you said "alternative feminist perspective", did you actually mean to say "patronizing, ageist, irrelevant perspective" ?

DoItTooJulia Tue 28-Mar-17 19:51:22

I totally get that it's not a popular opinion op, but I do sort of get it- and not just because of the legs, but because how fantastic it is that two women are doing such important stuff in a very much mans world (world politics)

smashedinductionhob Tue 28-Mar-17 19:51:52

DoittoJulia.

Yes.

WellErrr Tue 28-Mar-17 19:51:53

You're not a feminist.

You're a goady fucker.

HTH.

goodpiemissedthechips Tue 28-Mar-17 19:52:03

biscuit

user1471517900 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:55:39

Women doing important stuff = good
Women doing important stuff which is ignored on front page for a god awful pun based on their legs = bad.
Hope that helps.

Milestogobeforewesleep Tue 28-Mar-17 19:55:44

I cannot help but feel that it would be very much easier for all women to do important things in a very much man's world, if we weren't judged on our outfits but our performance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now