Talk

Advanced search

To let my dd (10) cry and feel left out and sad rather than buy her a 16 rated game?

(63 Posts)
muttrat Tue 28-Mar-17 19:02:55

Her friends are playing star wars battlefront. It's a 16 and I've said no. She's crying and miserable because she can't play and is left out

RB68 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:08:44

I wouldn't buy it either. But why is she saying she is left out ..are they at someone else's house all together?? If so you need to speak to relevant parent.

NancyDonahue Tue 28-Mar-17 19:09:38

She'll get over it and will be crying over something else next week. My dd is currently whining about not being allowed her own You Tube channel, 'everyone' at school has one apparently.

I was the same with Mr Frosty and rollerboots.

VestalVirgin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:11:41

I'd watch some youtube videos of people playing it and decide for myself if it is suitable.

The age ratings don't always make sense.

Have you asked those other kids' parents why they allow it?

Euphemia Tue 28-Mar-17 19:11:44

The game doesn't sound too bad, but the point is you're the parent and it's up to you. If she doesn't like your decisions, tough.

ArriettyClock1 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:12:15

Stick to your guns.

No way would I buy her a 16 rated game and nor would I feel pressured because her friends feckless parents have.

I've had this over the years with Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. No means no - they get over it.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Mar-17 19:13:20

It'll be
Everyone else has an iPhone
Everyone else can party till 2am
Everyone else got bought a car
Everyone else had a deposit for a house from their parents.

Stand your ground!

ImCatbug Tue 28-Mar-17 19:18:46

In all honesty, Star Wars Battlefront is not in any way comparable to COD or GTA. The 16 rating comes from the fact that there is violence against human characters shown - they have to put the rating up to 12 for that, and 16 if the violence is less cartoonish.
If she's seen the Star Wars movies it is actually less violent and gory than those. Just a higher rating as it's interactive.
The only thing to watch out for is the online chat element, you can set parental controls on the PS4 or XBOX One so she can only chat to people on her friends list and then she can play the game online and be in a chat with just those people. I do it all the time.
Obviously it's up to you, but in my opinion it's one of the more tame battle games out there. Nowhere near Call of Duty.

gamerchick Tue 28-Mar-17 19:20:40

I'd go with the are or would they be allowed to watch the film. If they are then it doesn't make sense to ban the game.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 28-Mar-17 19:24:53

Either stand your ground or act innocent and get her the old/original version, which has a 12 rating. My nearly 10 YO plays the old game and I have no problem with it, but the new version has characters graphically losing bodyparts (apparently) so there's no way he's having that until he's at least 20 grin.
The ratings are there for a reason.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 28-Mar-17 19:25:56

YANBU.

Rainydayspending Tue 28-Mar-17 19:35:58

YANBU. Violence in games is overused, unnecessary and just chucked in because they're not creative enough to come up with something good.

Somerville Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:22

YANBU.

However, SWB is PG13 in the US and after reading the common sense media review and watching YouTube vids (and checking with SIL about older DN's view - "boring game for little kids" grin) I allowed my 15YO and 13YO to start playing it. However, not around their sensitive 10YO sister.

I'm usually as strict as they come on this kind of thing - I don't have time to check out every game or movie so rely massively on ratings - but so many usually-strict friends were allowing this one that I started looking into it.

HermioneJeanGranger Tue 28-Mar-17 19:51:14

Well, YANBU for sticking to the age-ratings, but Star Wars Battlefront is in no way inappropriate for a mature 10yo.

It's nothing like COD or GTA - if she's seen the films, she'll manage fine with the video games, but it's upto you.

Purplepixiedust Tue 28-Mar-17 20:15:41

My 10 yo asks to play 15 and 18 games and says all his friends are allowed (I am sure they are not). He can play 12 rated ones now. I have said we will discuss 15 rated games when he is 12!

DubiousCredentials Tue 28-Mar-17 20:20:39

I agree with others saying check out some YouTube videos of the game if you haven't seen it. We are very strict about content here but our 10yr old plays it. It's just a step up from the Lego games imo where the characters get shot or whatever but there is no blood or gore.

If she's seen Star Wars films I can't personally see a problem with the game.

DubiousCredentials Tue 28-Mar-17 20:24:13

Parents on here say 10+ out of interest. www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/star-wars-battlefront-0

Haudyerwheesht Tue 28-Mar-17 20:26:18

Ds has one 16 game and it's star wars battlefront. He's an avid fan of the movies and it isn't violent imo in the same way as likes of COD are.

He isn't allowed other games which a lot of his friends have and tbf he accepts that and refuses to play them even if he's at their house. Some of his fiends play call of duty and assassins creed and the like. There is no way ON EARTH he's playing those.

Oh and ds is 10. I made a judgement call and chose to let him have this one 16 rated game. If you make the judgement call that she's not allowed it then fair enough.

gillybeanz Tue 28-Mar-17 20:33:44

I wouldn't have let my children play age inappropriate games, or watch films.
When she has stopped crying explain that they are certified for particular age groups because of the content.
I used to ask mine what they would think of me as a parent if I did allow such things. What they thought of other parents who allowed it.

missmapp Tue 28-Mar-17 21:54:28

Ds1 wants halo and grand theft auto. He is 12. I will not be buying it for him. I am happy to be the baddy.
he is a practical lad, so we went through the age guidance website and I explained why the ratings were given. he understood that. He still wants the games, but he knows why I have said no.

muttrat Tue 28-Mar-17 22:45:02

Dh says it's really tame and I should get it for her. Trouble is, she IS quite sensitive. I think she'd hate seeing body parts get lopped off. And she hated the films!!

TBH she likes minecraft but she has three friends that play online and they play star wars battlefront. She can chat to them online and she feels left out.

HermioneJeanGranger Tue 28-Mar-17 22:46:47

Why did she hate the films? Was she upset/distressed or just bored?

muttrat Tue 28-Mar-17 22:50:39

She found them a bit scary and just wasn't that interested.

HermioneJeanGranger Tue 28-Mar-17 22:54:44

Maybe watch some game clips on YouTube and see what you think?

It's really not a 16 because it's particularly violent, graphic or scary.

TheWitTank Tue 28-Mar-17 22:59:26

To be honest, it is tame and my 10 year old has played it (DH has it). Is it really a 16?! Wouldn't dream of letting him play GTA or COD but after watching DH play SW I was happy to let DS play it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now