Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this isn't "ridiculously slow"?

(59 Posts)
lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 18:22:56

Twisty turning road (lots of turns, blind bends and dips) slippery as starting to rain and every other corner you were getting blinded as the sun was setting and it was really bright.

AIBU to think that going 45-50mph for a three mile stretch - the twistiest - is not "ridiculously slow" and that the 60mph limit is just that, the maximum limit in optimal conditions?

Lovelilies Tue 28-Mar-17 18:25:55

YANBU

Crikeyblimey Tue 28-Mar-17 18:27:36

It's a limit not a target! YANBU

StarOnTheTree Tue 28-Mar-17 18:27:54

YANBU

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:32:38

I do agree.
Though I failed my driving test for doing 50 on a country lane that was a 60 on a rainy day.
Lack of progress and hesitancy apparently.
confused

lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 18:33:00

I'm so fucking pissed off. Because of the "need to argue the case" I have to pay my insurance excess to get my car fixed while mine argue the toss with his.

I mean, even if I was doing 20 (which I wasn't) he overtook on double white lines then misjudged and clouted my car pulling back in!

Also had to point out to my insurance company that his "proof" of my shit driving (doing 25-30mph on a certain specific part of the road earlier) is in fact merely proof that I could read the fucking 30 sign.

FrizzBombDelight Tue 28-Mar-17 18:33:18

Of course YANBU. I drive a road like this everyday but add in narrow with no white lines, I often have people sitting up my ass when I am doing 40-50mph. I do find it irritating, however, being stuck behind someone sitting on 25 or 30 and who breaks at every corner angry

ForalltheSaints Tue 28-Mar-17 18:33:52

Sounds OK to me. Not everyone wants to be on Top Gear and you are not going 400 years in an urban area in a 4x4.

FrizzBombDelight Tue 28-Mar-17 18:34:48

What?! That's insane. He is obviously at fault! What a dick.

LuxCoDespondent Tue 28-Mar-17 18:35:12

Impossible to tell without having been there whether you were being sensible or overly-cautious. If you're holding up a queue of traffic then perhaps you should pull over and let them through - maybe you are being too slow. If you're not holding anyone up, then drive as slow as you like.

SignOnTheWindow Tue 28-Mar-17 18:35:55

Of course YANBU.

I've seen way too many cars in the hedge because they've taken a bend too quickly.

SignOnTheWindow Tue 28-Mar-17 18:37:21

He sounds like a total fucking cock angry

blackteasplease Tue 28-Mar-17 18:37:23

YANBU. A lot of the corners on these roads have a critical speed of alot less than 60 mph.

You are supposed to judge the road conditions even if it is national speed limit.

LuxCoDespondent Tue 28-Mar-17 18:37:37

Cross-post. If someone collided with you then clearly they are at fault for the collision. A driver being "slow" is not a reason to collide with them; in fact quite the opposite.

My original post was about the impossibility of knowing whether you were "too slow" in general, before you mentioned that someone drove into you.

lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 18:39:21

Lux I wasn't holding up traffic. I was keeping pace with the car in front of me - it was quite a way in front but it stayed at a similar distance until it turned off (if that makes sense).

The guy behind was the only one behind me. A few cars passed when we were stopped, but I wasn't creating a queue.

SignOnTheWindow Tue 28-Mar-17 18:40:02

And if he overtook you on double white lines, surely that should be evidence of his fault with no argument needed?!

lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 18:40:46

The collision wasn't meant to be a drip feed btw. I managed to cut the last bit of my original post somehow (have inherited DS's iPad and fat fingers are not its friend!). Soery

LuxCoDespondent Tue 28-Mar-17 18:41:42

The other driver is in the wrong in any case. Whatever "proof" they've got is irrelevant - it's the responsibility of the driver overtaking to make sure that they do it safely.

What is their "proof" by the way? Hopefully dashcam footage, that would help your case much more than theirs!

lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 18:48:13

No actual proof. Just his word, that he seems to think equals proof. He's such a knob.

The only dashcam footage is from a car coming in the opposite direction. The guy offered to send it to both insurance companies, said he wouldn't send it to either driver (knob wanted it sent to him as the victim) so I've no idea what was on it. Probably not much as it was on a corner, but I'm hoping it'll show the exact location with regard to the lines. Although unless he claims it happened a mile or two out he's stuffed on that anyway.

EatsShitAndLeaves Tue 28-Mar-17 18:51:22

I won't comment on your speed as without really knowing the road and conditions it's hard to say.

That withstanding I can't see he's got a leg to stand on.

Overtaking on double whites.....and even if he disproves this, as the overtaking car it was his job to do so safely and allow sufficient distance pulling back in.

RB68 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:04:43

So he claims that you were going to slow and that justifies him overtaking on a bend with double white lines...

yeah right

Sounds like you need an expert report find a traffic engineer or ex copper that does these as independent witnesses. But yes he is the arse unless you sped up while he was overtaking...

lalalalyra Tue 28-Mar-17 19:09:42

I'll see what my insurance company come back with. They basically made contact with his and if he accepted liability they'd have taken my car tomorrow without me paying the excess.

They say it sounds cut and dried because of the white lines and he has admitted he was overtaking me, but obviously they are not going to cover the excess.

@RB68 I slowed when he overtook me, thankfully. Fuck knows how much more it would have been.

Urgh. Fucking cockwomble.

khajiit13 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:12:37

Yanbu. I drive on a 60 limit country road on the way to work but it so windy it's not safe to go more than 30 in parts. Annoys the hell out of my when people get right up my arse, especially going around blind bends that frequently have cyclists and horses around them.

Scholes34 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:21:46

My least favourite roads for driving - give me a motorway any day! I hate being at the head of a queue of traffic behind a tractor or similar and knowing everyone behind me is expecting me to overtake. DH's advice always sticks in my head at times like this - if you don't feel safe, don't do it, regardless of what people behind you might be thinking.

As for you driving too slowly, would he have overtaken a horse on a road with solid white lines on a bend? Actually, he probably would have.

I don't use the word very often, but I think he's behaving like a twat.

dazzlingdeborahrose Tue 28-Mar-17 19:38:17

The responsibility lies with the driver carrying out the manoeuvre. He chose to over-take at a point where the road markings indicated this wasn't allowed. He then clipped your car moving back over in order to avoid incoming traffic. He didn't have enough time or space to safely overtake and has very badly misjudged the whole. Your speed is irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now