Talk

Advanced search

To find this comparison a bit wrong?

(10 Posts)
ellise1988 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:42:59

Reading the newspaper and it's an article about talking to children about terrorism. It's states that you should ease their fears by stating some clear facts such as: you are more likely to die falling out of bed than to be harmed in a terror attack confused I'm sorry but if I told my dd this she would be too scared to go to bed. Aibu to think this was quite a bad example to have?

ShiroiKoibito Tue 28-Mar-17 13:47:46

Yes yabu- it's about how likely something is to happen not that going to bed is dangerous

ExplodedCloud Tue 28-Mar-17 13:50:59

It might not be the best example if you have a nervous child so pick something else. Like running across the road without looking properly.

Asmoto Tue 28-Mar-17 13:52:58

Surely it would depend on how you presented it. It's a bit like the example of more people being kicked to death by donkeys each year than die in plane crashes, for people who fear flying - it's not intended to suggest donkeys are madly lethal, just that it's a rare occurrence.

ellise1988 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:53:26

My child isn't nervous but like most children doesn't like being in the dark on her own at night. To add a fear of death into the mix I just think it's wrong

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Mar-17 13:54:40

I agree with OP. Presumably, there is some clearly unlikely event that vividly portrays how unlikely a terror attack harming you is.

Falling out of bed is routine for kids and adults after too much wine You need to pick a comparison that clearly very rare to hammer home how rarer it is for the terror attack thing.

Attacked by sharks, struck by lightning, etc. These things work as good comparisons for rare events.

ellise1988 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:58:01

Maid that is exactly my point. Children go to bed every night so I know my dd would think of this every time she goes to bed and probably lie awake worrying. If I was to talk about this I would probably use the shark attack example. We don't encounter them on a daily basis

Coralfish Tue 28-Mar-17 14:29:44

When I was a child I heard that you were more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash. I then became terrified every time my parents went somewhere in the car without me, worrying that they would die...

Trifleorbust Tue 28-Mar-17 14:57:26

Daft thing to say to a child. YANBU.

You're more likely to land on the moon (even if not true!) would illustrate the point far better.

Janey50 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:18:41

Yes I agree it does seem a bit daft using an example like that. I could imagine my DGD being scared to go to bed if someone told her that! A much better example would be to say that it is less likely than your chances of being struck by lightning,or attacked by a shark,things that are not likely to be encountered on a regular basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now