Talk

Advanced search

Stressing over job choice

(18 Posts)
joanslegs Tue 28-Mar-17 11:38:48

Posting for traffic

After having been off work sick (depression/stress) and then resigning, I've now been offered two jobs - and I'm totally torn. I'm so lucky I know but the process has stressed me out a bit from the start worrying about what both employers will think of my sickness history. Both are less than I was on before - job A at £20k is people based, think supporting people in difficulty, job B is £22k in corporate environment, where they will train me up to the next level/higher pay bands etc.

After tax the difference is about £100.

I'm sick over thinking choosing one over the other will make the wrong decision. I'm 36, my life over the last 2 years basically fell to bits, went into a deep depression which for the first time ever (was diagnosed about 15 years ago) affected work and caused me to go off. Job A knows about this, Job B not until I complete the OH health forms which I'm due to do tomorrow.

Heart says job A (people based), sensible head says job B. I'm in turmoil, worrying I will be throwing away a chance to develop a more, traditional professional career if I don't take job B. But job A felt a good fit, the team is lovely and its a new project so lots of enthusiasm. I've totally lost my confidence around work and worry I'll not be up to scratch for Job B's mega corporate stuff.

I love both areas of work (very, very different). I really need to sort this today as Job B wants me to start on Monday next, waiting on DBS for Job A.

Should you always go with your heart? That's what I keep hearing!

Bantanddec Tue 28-Mar-17 11:46:39

Go with your heart! You only live once! But if these jobs have asked your former employer for a reference they will tell them dates of the sickness it's pretty standard, I've done several references they have always asked for any sickness and the dates (but not the reason for the sickness)

BewtySkoolDropowt Tue 28-Mar-17 11:52:22

It sounds like you have made up your mind, you just want to be told that it's ok to prioritise what you want to do over a career and money. And yes, it's ok.

In fact doing something you want to do sounds like an essential to avoid the kind of experiences you've had in the past. It certainly was for me.

joanslegs Tue 28-Mar-17 21:42:14

Thanks both, need to make a decision tonight as I'm supposed to sign the second contract tomorrow. I thought I had it about an hour ago, now in turmoil again!

Annie592 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:13:40

Job A! You don't know what will happen either way, so you should go with your gut feeling. Let us know what you decide- good luck!

HeddaGarbled Tue 28-Mar-17 23:20:31

Job A definitely. It will be the more nurturing for your first step back into work. Doesn't mean that you can't switch to a more corporate role later if you decide that's what you want.

Lingotria Wed 29-Mar-17 00:56:25

B. You'll find working in a corporate environment less stressful in the long run. People based jobs are difficult and political

hellokittymania Wed 29-Mar-17 00:58:29

If in doubt, don't. Go with what your heart tells you to do and you will be happy with your decision.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 29-Mar-17 01:00:23

Imagine you're starting job A tomorrow.

How do you feel?

Now do the same with B.

ScarlettFreestone Wed 29-Mar-17 01:17:59

Flip a coin.

You'll know if the answer comes down "wrong".

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 29-Mar-17 01:24:27

Scarlett great tip! I'll remember that for the future!

ScarlettFreestone Wed 29-Mar-17 01:37:40

Jonesy grin It's one my University Professor gave me when I had two graduate job offers to choose from. I was initially shocked but he was right!

I've been using it as a decision making method ever since. It always works.

ThreeDovesAndSomePinkChampagne Wed 29-Mar-17 01:44:16

He wasn't called Nigel was he Scarlett? Professor of mine used to recommend the same thing.

ScarlettFreestone Wed 29-Mar-17 01:51:05

No he wasn't Doves. Maybe they were on the same student advisory course. wink

Trifleorbust Wed 29-Mar-17 05:57:03

For the sake of a small financial difference, go with your heart. However, if you think Job A might be more insecure, go with your head.

Trifleorbust Wed 29-Mar-17 05:57:49

ScarlettFreestone:

I always do that! Heads! Gutted. Okay, I will do the other one. grin

joanslegs Wed 29-Mar-17 08:54:45

Thanks all

Jonesy - I did what you suggested about my feelings for my first day...have gone with Job A, sent a nice email to Job B and will call them later as well.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your thoughts, been awake all night, flipping coins and spinning my magic 8 ball lol!

ScarlettFreestone Wed 29-Mar-17 16:21:58

Glad you've come to a decision Joan good luck with your new job!

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now