Talk

Advanced search

To not be worried about DH being abroad when I'm 37/38 weeks pregnant?

(12 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:02:39

I'm currently pregnant and in the middle of July myself, DH and DS are due to go abroad for a two week holiday but it will be when I'm in weeks 37 and 38 of my pregnancy.

I'm not going to go (obviously) but I have told DH to still go with DS as it's cost us quite a bit of money, which we wouldn't be able to get back and I don't want DS (aged 3) to miss out. Plus the thought of having the house to myself for two weeks in the latter stage of pregnancy sounds very appealing grin

I mentioned this to my sister last night who was quite horrified at the idea. She was giving me lots of 'worst case scenarios' of me going into labour in his absence etc but I genuinely can't get myself worked up about it. If that happens then it happens. If it's relevant at all I'm due to have a planned c-section about ten days after they would return.

Am I mad to be ok with DH still going? My sister's reaction shocked me confused

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Tue 28-Mar-17 10:09:03

Ignore your sister, it's bugger all to do with her. Your the important one here and if you are fine for the possibility that they may be out the country when you give birth no I do not think you are crazy.

For what's it's worth dh went abroad ( only for weekend) for something work related when I was 36 weeks as the money they offered was fantastic seriously we would of been fools to turn it down. Anyway I went in to labour while he was away, it was absolutely fine my Mum came to the hospital and I had to stay in for 3 days so dh picked us up when he got back the Monday.

It's not the norm and some people like your sister don't like that

PuntCuffin Tue 28-Mar-17 10:09:08

If you are ok with it, that is all that matters.

As he will have your DS with him, you won't have a childcare problem if you go into labour early. He might need to work out how to get back earlier than expected, but might well not make it before the baby. Again, this is ok if you are ok with it.

You can use a taxi to get to hospital if needs be.
Online shopping for food and other essentials.

OhDearToby Tue 28-Mar-17 10:10:59

If your okay with it, he's okay with it and your ds is okay with it then I don't see a problem. The only word of warning I could give is that when I was pregnant with dc2 I wanted my dd close to me near the end. Some maternal hormones going crazy I guess.

My ex had to go abroad for work when I was 36/37 weeks with dc1. I wasn't bothered at all. For some reason the thought of him missing the birth didn't even occur to us (and he didn't, baby was late anyway).

Writerwannabe83 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:14:20

I'm surprised my sister isn't secretly excited seeing as she'd be my stand-in if I went into labour in DH's absence grin

I'm worried about missing DS and how I would feel being away from him for so long but I guess I will have to take it as it comes.

ToesInWater Tue 28-Mar-17 10:16:28

No, the only person's opinion that matters is yours. If you are ok with it that's fine (and I totally get why some personal space before having another baby would be nice). Hope all goes well for you.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:16:38

Ignore your sister, some people just don't like people doing things differently

Your the one that's pregnant and it's up to you, and if you are fine with it do it the way you want too. There is a chance you could go in to labour while his away but an equal chance that you won't.

Because he goes away I would make sure

*All baby stuff was ready
* I'd do a big online shop and stock the freeezer etc
* If you want a stand in birth partner or someone to just wait around in the hospital arrange that
* plan how you'd get to hospital if labour was to happen

isupposeitsverynice Tue 28-Mar-17 10:17:50

Is your sister scared of having to be your birth partner in the event everything goes tits up? You're not unreasonable though. I love sending everyone away and having the house to myself, though I tend to get two hours of peace rather than two weeks!

Pinkheart5915 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:18:28

Tbh by the end of my pregnancy with dc2 I just didn't have the energy to play or do much with my dc1 which made me feel bad and I was so uncomfortable it would of been nice to be alone for a while

Goldfishjane Tue 28-Mar-17 10:20:44

writer "I'm surprised my sister isn't secretly excited seeing as she'd be my stand-in if I went into labour in DH's absence"

I would have thought that's why she's horrified?

Writerwannabe83 Wed 29-Mar-17 10:41:27

My sister would love to be with me at baby's birth......she was going to be with me and DH when we had our first baby but that pregnancy ended up in a c-section.

Last night my DH spoke to me a Stag Do he'd been invited to....it would be 4 days abroad which would involve him not coming back until the day before my due date grin

I said no to that one - I thought that probably was pushing it!! grin

SecretNetter Wed 29-Mar-17 10:47:42

I wouldn't be comfortable with it tbh. There's more to it than just having someone else step in if labour starts IMO...I would want Dh there in person at least for the reason of him being mine and dc's next of kin and in a position to make decisions if I was unable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now