Talk

Advanced search

DD's 1st Birthday

(5 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:23:27

Hi

We're going on our first family holiday in the Summer and we really can't wait!
Thing is, MIL has had a tantrum because DD will be turning 1 whilst we're away! 😫
Urgh honestly! DD won't even know it's her birthday! I was going to tell MIL were planning a family BBQ (weather permitting) the weekend before we go, but why the fuck should I? I shouldn't have to reassure her about MY daughters birthday angry I'm so fed up!

Ampersand22 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:25:48

Do not reward tantrum with BBQ.

Screwinthetuna Tue 28-Mar-17 08:28:06

You shouldn't. She will get over it

LouBlue1507 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:33:27

I just feel if we ever do XYZ we have to do ABC make up for it! She's always moaning how we always miss the days that are meant to be 'family' time e.g. Christmas. When we said but we asked to come and stay with you and you said no. She said well its wasn't for Xmas day it was only the days that suited you!

Ampersand22 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:40:47

Why should you feel you have to make up for her picking and choosing when she wants to engage? It sounds very convenient for her. She gets out of her responsibilities, and has a tantrum to boot, and you will be the one to smooth the waters by having another event because she can't make the first?

She doesn't sound bothered about being a grandmother since she can't be arsed to oblige at your baby's first Christmas, and you're not fooled anymore, so what you can do is not be the third leg in this arrangement and refusing to play the game. Don't have the BBQ. It's your family and your right to be away, and this is just tough luck for your MIL. It's about her and not your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now