Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't a weird thing to tell/ask of nursery?

(14 Posts)
creepymumweirdo Tue 28-Mar-17 08:01:48

DS (18 months) is going through some hellish new sleep regression or other and woke up at 3.30 am convinced it was time to play. After 2 hours of shushing and settling I gave in (he's a defiantly little thing) and brought him downstairs. He's happy enough, not ill or anything, but now knackered.

I'm going away for the weekend for the first time since he was born and have this week off work, but he's still booked into nursery so I planned to send him and have a rare, blissful couple of days at home, sorting the house and myself so I can go away with a tidy world and a tidy mind, for a a much needed relaxing girlie weekend with my best mate.

Anyway, I just phoned nursery and told them we've had a bad night, though he's not ill, so I've just put him down for a weirdly times but essential nap and I'll bring him in a few hours late. They were like "urrrr, ok?" with me on the phone. Like I was being. Weird to keep him home, weird to send him or weird to tell them, not sure which!

They're a lovely nursery but sometimes the way staff communicate with parents makes me feel a bit hmm. I'm not from around here so maybe they just think I'm an oddball.

Is this a weird thing to do? I figured it was the best of a bad situation... DS gets his nursery day as planned but without being so tired he can't cope by home time. But I'm a zombie so maybe I am being daft...

MrsHathaway Tue 28-Mar-17 08:05:36

If they know you work maybe they were surprised that you'd have the flexibility to facilitate his having a sleep in that way.

Hope you get lots done!

NormaSmuff Tue 28-Mar-17 08:10:58

i spose they think a routine is better, better for them and better for the lo

creepymumweirdo Tue 28-Mar-17 08:14:20

Yeah, I think a routine is better too, but unfortunately DS didn't get the memo. I'm all for regular nap times and he's usually like clockwork but 3am til 5pm with only an hour's nap (nursery only ever give him an hour after lunch) is way too much for him to cope with.

Llanali Tue 28-Mar-17 08:15:51

I would have sent him in, assuming he will get a nap there.... but I ageee with PP they are probably just surprised you had the option to do that

BToperator Tue 28-Mar-17 08:45:05

It doesn't seem odd to me. They may have been assuming that you would be at work, and therefore surprised you are able to take him in late, but I'm sure they won't be that bothered. Enjoy your day to yourself when he does go in!

SarahOoo Tue 28-Mar-17 08:45:18

I'd just suggest the person you spoke to was a bad communicator!

ohtheholidays Tue 28-Mar-17 08:47:56

They're probably just not used to a parent letting them know,but what you did was good.

I used to work in a private nursery and not many parents would let let us know beforehand if they're little one had had a bad night or was out of sorts but it was always really helpful if a parent did.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 28-Mar-17 08:54:57

Firstly you're not an oddball.
I think the person you spoke to was perhaps surprised that you launched into such a detailed explanation as to why you would be bringing your son in late.

Was the member of staff young? I work with 2 young women and both of them have a habit of ending every sentence with a question mark. It's very off putting!

CaseyAtTheBat Tue 28-Mar-17 09:13:43

Anyway, I just phoned nursery and told them we've had a bad night, though he's not ill, so I've just put him down for a weirdly times but essential nap and I'll bring him in a few hours late. They were like "urrrr, ok?" with me on the phone. Like I was being. Weird to keep him home, weird to send him or weird to tell them, not sure which!

It was an errr, ok in a "what the fuck is she telling me about her night for? kind of way.

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 28-Mar-17 09:22:46

I think it's fine! You wanted him to be rested. Then he's more likely to go to bed properly tonight. If you'd taken him as usual, he may have stayed up for ages and got overtired.

You're paying them it's up to you!

NormaSmuff Tue 28-Mar-17 09:24:00

Ask them if it was ok when you pick him up?
they might find it disruptive if everyone comes in at a usual time

Lindy2 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:25:12

I'm a childminder and what you are doing seems very sensible and not at all off to me. You've got the flexibility to do that today so why rush around getting a tired child to a nursery for a set time. They might not like it because it could muck up their nap time but I still think you are doing the right thing. Enjoy your time off!

foxybingodotcom Tue 28-Mar-17 10:10:56

I think you're thinking too much about this after a night of little sleep. They said okay. I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now