Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit uncomfortable at the idea of sharing a bed with DSS?

(14 Posts)
SharkiraSharkira Mon 27-Mar-17 23:09:35

Dp and I were talking about taking a mini break with dss on one of his upcoming contact weekends.

Dp has a kind of camper van type thing that has a bed in the back we can sleep in but it's only really meant for 2 - he seemed to be under the impression that we could all share the bed.

Aibu to be uncomfortable with this idea? Because a) he is 8 so not small and I'd be worried we would all the squashed and uncomfortable, b) I would worry about rolling on him/keeping him awake (I tend to roll around and fidget in my sleep) and c) he isn't my child and I'm just not happy sharing a bed with a child who isn't my own. Fwiw I wouldn't be happy if another woman (step mum) did it with my ds', and not sure how dss' mum would feel either. Dss and I have a good relationship so I don't think he would mind but aibu for feeling 'off' about it?

Etymology23 Mon 27-Mar-17 23:11:54

All consideration of whether it's "ok" aside that sounds vastly uncomfortable and unpleasant to all involved to me. Camper beds aren't usually more than a double even?

WorraLiberty Mon 27-Mar-17 23:12:43

It wouldn't worry me personally. I'd just get DP to sleep in the middle.

I think the most important thing is how your DSS feels about it.

Mind you, most camper vans I've seen have a rather large bed at the back that you could comfortably sleep 3 in.

SharkiraSharkira Tue 28-Mar-17 08:09:08

The bed in question is probably a small double so it would be quite a squeeze. The front of the van has a big 'bench' seat so I suggested dss sleep on that but dp seemed to think I was BU to not want to share the bed with him.

BarbarianMum Tue 28-Mar-17 08:37:50

Agree with Worra - just get your dh to sleep in the middle.

averythinline Tue 28-Mar-17 08:46:42

A campaervan trip can be good fun but you need to be able to sleep and I would be surprised the 3 of you would sleep well in a camper double - I too would not sleep with someone elses 8 year old ( i wouldnt have slept with my own 8 year old if i could avoid it wriggly bugger grin)

Could you sleep on the bench seat? then dp and dss can share the double..
or getting a camping mat (SIM ) or airbed and put that on the floor of the camper can get smaller ones for kids ...

wait until the weathers warmer and take a small tent for you to sleep in next to the camper!

If you can work out the logistics can be good fun thing to do

Is there anyway of adding a pop top to the van then dss can sleep there (not technical so no idea!)

GinAndOnIt Tue 28-Mar-17 08:51:04

My dad had a camper van back in the day, and he built a shelf just below the ceiling for a child bed - it worked really well! It was extendable so the rest of the time it was just pushed back, and he didn't bother with a ladder or anything because of where the table/sofa was made it easy to hop into. Might be worth doing?

Crumbs1 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:54:38

I wouldn't worry about sleeping with someone else's child. I've done it lots of times with friends children (during thunderstorms etc when they've stopped over) but a campervan bed is tiny.

SharkiraSharkira Tue 28-Mar-17 09:24:52

It's not a 'proper' camper van as such just been converted into one, there is literally just the bed in the back so no extra room on the floor and I don't think anything could be added to the roof/ceiling. I wouldn't fit in the front seat, only dss would as he is shorter!

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 28-Mar-17 09:26:56

It doesn't sound much of a holiday if you have to share with a child! If you're not comfortable with it then don't do it.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:29:02

Tell him to park it in the grounds of a fab 5 star hotel and book yourself a room and they can share the camper van!! grin

SharkiraSharkira Tue 28-Mar-17 09:31:46

Sounds like a decent compromise Moira grin

Not sure dp will go for it though!

winewolfhowls Tue 28-Mar-17 09:35:07

Tent for dh and son outside and you stay in the camper bed?

Heratnumber7 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:42:17

I was just about to say what wine said.
Take a tent and either DSS, DSS and DP or you and DP sleep in the tent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now