Talk

Advanced search

Or was centre parcs

(18 Posts)
superheroslug Mon 27-Mar-17 21:53:58

Booked a life at CP for Me, DH and two DCs, a baby and a toddler. Took one buggy and the carrier as paid extra to be central and toddler will walk about half the time.

Planned that DH and I would do some Individual activities just before lunch, whilst other person took DCs back for a nap. It's quite common in everyday life for one of them to fall asleep in the buggy for their nap.

Get to centre parcs and there are 24 steps down to our lodge! Asked to switch but no other suitable villas available.

This meant getting two/from villa on your own was a 3/4 way trip (buggy, bags, baby, toddler) and no way could we let one of them fall asleep in the buggy.

It also meant that everyone walking past had a perfect view in to our villa (as it was always shaded), getting the piles of crap that come with a baby and toddler in and out of the villa was a pain in the arse, and, as we realised, the villa was also opposite a disabled villa, where they are able to keep a car, so that whenever they reversed out (fairly regular) they reversed directly into where we had to park the buggy whilst running up and down the steps.

There was no warning when we booked the villa that they had so many steps and whilst management seemed ago that this was even an issue (most parents with babies and toddlers bring grandparents apparently !) the cleaning lady happily told me that loads of people complain about this villa!

Can't decide if I am just being a princess or whether you would expect to have notice/ choice on this many steps.

TwentyCups Mon 27-Mar-17 21:57:13

I think YABU. They have villas for disabled access (as you mention) and if you didn't state that you needed that then from there it's a gamble. I've stayed in one with loads of steps before, but as able bodied people it's not a problem.

But inconvient but I don't think you can complain.

MaidOfStars Mon 27-Mar-17 21:57:53

I would expect to see some kind of notice that access was via steps only. Was it labelled as unsuitable for wheelchairs?

TwentyCups Mon 27-Mar-17 21:59:15

Maid when you book at centreparcs online you have to state whether you need wheelchair access. They have specific lodges which are accessible, all others are not as standard.

EyeStye Mon 27-Mar-17 22:00:43

I would expect a note on the booking that access is by several steps.

MaidOfStars Mon 27-Mar-17 22:02:04

OK. What if you struggle with mobility but not requiring a wheelchair? Is there anyway to discern suitable villas on that condition?

ScarletSienna Mon 27-Mar-17 22:04:42

I would expect a note on booking about the steps as lots go with buggies. Given the cleaner said others have complained, they definitely should let people know. I've booked holidays before where it's stated that access is via steps do not sure why they can't add it on. I think it's a bit sneaky as they clearly know it's an issue about a specific lodge. YANBU.

luckylucky24 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:07:27

I would be a bit peeved off. We go to butlins and have never had to request a lower ground room as they use their common sense! If you have a child under 3 they always give a ground floor room.

TwentyCups Mon 27-Mar-17 22:08:20

I would assume that if you had limited mobility you would request an accessible lodge - they have hand rails inside as well which you may need if that is the case.

I do sympathise with OP because it sounds like the steps caused unnessary hassle on the holiday but I think the CP line will be that they should have requested an accessible villa at booking.

228agreenend Mon 27-Mar-17 22:09:04

I think unless you specifically asked, then they haven't done anything wrong, although that does sound a lot of steps. Did all let's have a lot of steps, or were you unfortunate?

Spikeyball Mon 27-Mar-17 22:10:03

I would expect a warning about that many steps. We don't need wheelchair accessible but having to carry ds's wheelchair and trying to get him to walk up and down, would have been annoying.

PupPupBoogie Mon 27-Mar-17 22:12:18

When uou choose a lodge it says that an S next to it denotes steps to access.

ICancelledTheCheque Mon 27-Mar-17 22:15:06

You get what you get with CP. Some are notoriously hilly.

As a regular CP goer, I WBU to complain - but if it's your first trip then I can see why it maybe wouldn't cross your mind.

Call it a learning curve for next time!

EweAreHere Mon 27-Mar-17 22:32:46

One would think an organization as big as CP would be able to clock that people with babies/toddlers might struggle with such villas and include details of an unusual number of steps, etc

superheroslug Mon 27-Mar-17 23:19:05

Thanks for replies. Sorry if post wasn't clear, neither of us have mobility issues, but I can't carry baby and toddler up/down 24 steps at the same time. My concern re the disability lodge was that it was opposite, on second day I took toddler up, strapped her in but by the time I had gotten baby up, car in the lodge opposite (as they are allowed to keep their car) was reversing toward the buggy. I'm sure he had seen her, but that just wasn't a risk I was happy taking.

This is probably out tenth time staying at CP and second time at this particular park, we just never had steps before or recall seeing them. DH's run round the park seemed to suggest that this was a particular problem in this row of villas, although quite a few have 4-6 steps up or down.

Ginkypig Tue 28-Mar-17 00:13:25

I don't need a wheelchair but I do sometimes (quite often) need a stick and could definitely not do 24steps most of the time.

Not everyone will agree with me but imo there should be a bit in the description (unless Iv misunderstood) stating that cabins have stairs to the entrance.

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Mar-17 08:42:08

I think, where relevant, any description of holiday accommodation should include the fact that access is via steps. You see it on villa ads, in holiday brochures, AirBnb etc.

Trifleorbust Tue 28-Mar-17 09:52:59

They advertise themselves as a family holiday so YANBU. It is awkward lugging two kids around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now