Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Well done to Pantene gold series. But AIBU to irked by the advert?

(16 Posts)
quencher Mon 27-Mar-17 18:00:21

When I watched the ad it, something didn't sit right with me. I know that the first thing that came to mind was, "my Dd will not be watching that". I would also, prefer that it was not aired on tv or if they did, it should be aired after the watershed. My reason being based on it's focus on racism as a concept for the ad. I don't want my Dd coming across it or kids that don't have ingrained self hate to judge themselves based on their hair.

The self praise was great but it was the negatives stereotypes being counteracted that irked me. Those negatives are what creates self-esteem issues for children who do not understand it. They will see negatives where they probably have never thought of before. Children who may have never questioned their beauty will have to after watching it.

Am not complaining about the product. I think it's great. i also, know that the women featured feel they are doing great racial justice with their message. I just feel like they have crossed the line.

Well, it could have been a plain simple add like any other.

Am uncomfortable with the concept of strong in regards to black women too.

http://www.essence.com/hair/dreadlocks/pantene-gold-series-commercial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwc4s8nVba4

LostQueen Tue 28-Mar-17 02:55:51

"My dd will not be watching that" hmm Are you serious?

StrawberryJelly00 Tue 28-Mar-17 02:59:54

Op what race are u?

StrawberryJelly00 Tue 28-Mar-17 03:01:00

Thanks for sharing this link i have never seen this ad before. I think it's ace

LostQueen Tue 28-Mar-17 03:02:34

Why would counteracting negative stereotypes irk you???

ScarletForYa Tue 28-Mar-17 03:13:46

Yea, I think I get what you're saying.

Why the need to mention beautiful hair is not just wavy or straight. That's stating the obvious.

They will see negatives where they probably have never thought of before

Exactly, after all the scientific research they put into it, I'd prefer to hear more about the practical benefits to black hair the products have.

I'm not black though but I think if i was I'd want to know what is different and better about the shampoo.

quencher Tue 28-Mar-17 10:34:27

@LostQueen their intention was to debunk negative racial stereotypes in regards to black women's hair. However, I feel that it will do the opposite.
I watched it as a black person with a female child and I didn't like her getting ideas at her age. People learn racism and this is giving ideas on how to self hate. Planting the seed of doubt.

@StrawberryJelly00 I love the ad but at the same time fell it's not child appropriate.

@ScarletForYa totally agree. Why I should use them and not all the other tried and tested products I and other people have been using for decades.

To me it comes of negatively.

gleam Tue 28-Mar-17 10:51:18

Yes, I agree with you, op.

quencher Tue 28-Mar-17 10:58:12

"I felt it wasn't appropriate for children" that is what it's meant to say.

LostQueen Tue 28-Mar-17 11:00:55

I didn't like her getting ideas at her age. People learn racism and this is giving ideas on how to self hate. Planting the seed of doubt.

My perspective is almost the complete opposite, how does an advert celebrating black hair teach her how to self hate? I feel like the lack of representation as far as mainstream media and marketing is concerned is what plants far more doubt in the minds of black girls/females. I'm not saying it's perfect but it certainly goes some way to counteracting the narrative that represents a eurocentric standard of beauty over all else. There are thousands of hair care adverts that encourage other women to love and embrace their hair and promote a particular type of product using this agenda. I can't see the harm in the same being done for black women, especially by a company that has previously used that same erocentric standard of beauty almost exclusively. Black women have been told time and time again that their hair should be straightened to be seen as professional. They have been told that their hair makes them look "militant". Have locs? You're probably going to be asked if you like Bob Marley or if you smoke weed. All of those assumptions and many more take place because there is simply not enough representation in the mainstream media to counteract.
It is understandable that instinct is to protect your daughter but the fact remains that negative attitudes pertaining to black people and their hair have existed for years and that truth is a part of black history unfortunately. Shielding her from those truths could have far more of an adverse effect.

quencher Tue 28-Mar-17 11:27:01

@LostQueen thank you. What you said is why I love it as an adult.

My perspective is almost the complete opposite, how does an advert celebrating black hair teach her how to self hate I advocate for more ads and inclusivity. But I also, feel, it should be done responsibly.
I don't expect Dd to grow up without us talking about race. It's how we introduce information like that matters.

gleam Tue 28-Mar-17 11:35:39

I think the advert could have shown a woman doing a variety of things (lawyer, walking the dog, party, construction worker, teacher), with a variety of hairstyles. 'Whoever you are, whatever you do, <our brand> works for you. (Tm!)

Thought it was good they showed an older woman, though.

With some explanation of why the product's good! Or did I miss that?

LostQueen Tue 28-Mar-17 11:44:16

t's how we introduce information like that matters. Yes I agree. Out of interest, how old is your DD?

SpringerS Tue 28-Mar-17 12:15:33

I get the OP's point. The first time my 4 year old ever started to think that girls weren't as good as boys was when he saw an advert supposedly all about how great girls are. In the ad a girl talks about how people tell her girls can't play rugby, interspersed with shots of her playing rugby. The supposed story in the of the ad was to present a stereotype and subvert it with something 'surprising.' But that worked the opposite way for DS, the images of the girl playing rugby was unremarkable so the surprising part that stuck in his brain was the words, 'girls can't play rugby.'

So while this ad supposedly makes people who have already been subjected to the idea that this type of hair is not attractive feel better. What it also does is put that idea into the head of children who it would never have occurred to and they won't always take the intended message.

quencher Tue 28-Mar-17 12:24:50

My Dd is three and half. She understands that people are different. She knows that mum is different from dad and both sides of the family are different.
She knows that her hair is different to some other children. She compares her hair to others that look like hers like having puffs and playing snap. I have never started the conversation. She brings it up. When she comes up with one of them I try and see where she is going with it. I don't believe it when people say that all children are colour blind when it comes to race. (Kids don't see colour) They know people are different, it's when we start to ascribe stereotypes to people that racism gets instilled.

We never talk about race when she is in the house because I believe that kids pickup on information an can easily misinterpret them.
She understands things a lot and I have been surprised on occasion when she brings up things we thought she would not understand or paid any attention to.

Is she was to later ask me a question regarding race, I would answer it in an age appropriate way. The same way I would do with sex education.

I would have done the same if it was sexist too.

quencher Tue 28-Mar-17 12:26:42

Thank you @SpringerS, that is exactly how I see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now