Talk

Advanced search

To become more and more sceptical about mn?

(11 Posts)
Dilligufdarling Mon 27-Mar-17 17:38:08

Does anyone else find it annoying (for want of a better word) when a thread disappears and you're not quite sure if it was a troll - and you got suckered into caring and should therefore be rightfully pissed off - or if it's because the situation has become more serious/legal and actually the OP "deserves" even more care and best wishes?

This has happened time and again.
Does everyone just chalk it up to experience and then throw themselves (emotionally) back into the fray?
I'm finding myself getting more and more sceptical each time. Which is a shame because that's not what mn should be about.

ThePiglet59 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:39:00

This thread feels dodgy to me.

Dilligufdarling Mon 27-Mar-17 17:50:16

Oh I'm definitely dodgy in many ways. But genuine thread grin

DaisyBlameless Mon 27-Mar-17 17:53:53

Yep. Lots I don't believe on here.

MrsHathaway Mon 27-Mar-17 17:58:54

Most of MN isn't like that. AIBU is tabloid compared with the rest.

Ginkypig Mon 27-Mar-17 18:01:17

It's online, we don't know each other so none of us should get so sucked in that we put logic away and forget to protect ourselves/ feelings.

I try to be nice, treat most posters with the benefit of the doubt that they are telling the truth and in that vain be helpful. I feel that's important because it would be awful for someone genuinely in pain to have me being horrible to them but if it turns out they are lying then obviously it's very annoying but not the end of the world.

Overall what I mean is I never give more of myself than I can afford to lose.

Dilligufdarling Mon 27-Mar-17 18:50:07

You're right ginky you're completely right.
It's just frustrating not knowing whether you've been taken for a fool or genuinely someone needed help/advice/whatever.

Doesn't really affect me in a real way - idle wondering I guess.

Dontactlikeyouknowme Mon 27-Mar-17 18:54:31

You have to assume that the majority of MN is made up bollocks.

Dilligufdarling Mon 27-Mar-17 19:09:12

The problem with that is that I think lots of people use it as a support network - or want to. And if everyone assume that it's all bollocks then that support will be gone.

Which is sad.

picklemepopcorn Mon 27-Mar-17 19:10:45

I take everyone at face value. I hope though that some of the nastier posters are not like that in real life!
I don't mind giving emotionally to people who turn out to be trolls. I'd hate to think I let down someone vulnerable. I hate the unresolved niggling thoughts when it all disappears, or when OP doesn't update. I hate an unfinished story!

Dontactlikeyouknowme Mon 27-Mar-17 19:35:20

A support network which ends up plastered all over the DM.

I think the MN support network ship sailed a long time ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now