Talk

Advanced search

Lunchbox Police- Preschool

(50 Posts)
Captaintango Mon 27-Mar-17 16:29:55

My dd is 3.5yrs and has recently started to stay at preschool for lunch after her morning session.
We bought her a lunchbox with compartments that has a clip to open. Dd needs some help with this, but it keeps her lunch fresh.
Dd's preschool teacher doesn't like the lunchbox. She started a few weeks ago mentioning that other children had items placed into a lunchbag. Then she told dd that it was an adults lunchbox and she needed one like 'child's name'. When I collected dd, the teacher told me she 'nearly broke a nail' opening it. A week later we got a post-it attached to the lunchbox saying that she needed to use a knife to open it and requesting we use a different one.
The lunchbox is suitable for children, sold everywhere and not difficult to open at all.
I will replace it over easter as she has made such a huge thing of it. But AIBU to think she is overreacting and quite controlling over the lunchbox?!

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Mon 27-Mar-17 16:31:30

Is it suitable for children if your child can't open it?

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Mon 27-Mar-17 16:33:23

Yabu. The teacher has other children in the class to supervise and can't spend the whole time checking your Dd can access her food. To complain this much it has to be much more difficult to open than it appears. Sandwich bags keep food just as fresh and are much easier to open.

DedicationToSparkleMotion Mon 27-Mar-17 16:33:29

Doesn't sound suitable for children if your child can't open it alone.

Do think the teacher is making a mountain out of a molehill though.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Mon 27-Mar-17 16:34:34

To clarify not saying you should use just sandwich bags but a simpler lunch box and sandwich bags.

VladmirsPoutine Mon 27-Mar-17 16:36:19

Can you post a link or a picture?

What the hell is an 'adult' lunchbox? I mainly use tupperware as do my other colleagues that bring in lunch. Unless you're working in some wanky hipster company in which I presume a tin opener would be required to open a lunch box then I don't know what an adult lunchbox is.

That said, if your dd struggles to open it - disability and SEN aside, then I'd look into buying something she can work with.

BAR91 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:38:12

Adult lunch box drags mind out of the gutter ...

If she struggles now buy something easier but keep it for when she's a bit older/use current one for days out etc when you're there to help.

BorpBorpBorp Mon 27-Mar-17 16:39:55

It sounds like the teacher is being a bit dramatic about breaking a nail/needing to use a knife to open it, but I definitely understand why she would want all the children to have lunchboxes they can open independently. Better for the kids (fosters independence), less time consuming for the staff.

SaucyJack Mon 27-Mar-17 16:40:34

Don't be a pain in the jacksie. Buy a lunchbox your child can open themselves, and stop trying to pretend it's the teacher who's in the wrong.

Controlling!?

ThePiglet59 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:41:00

Well I hope that it contains only organic olives, couscous and wholemeal wraps.
You'll be for it otherwise.

RedBugMug Mon 27-Mar-17 16:46:51

yanbu
practice with dc how to open the lunchbox.
if it's the systema one I think it is, it's suitable for children but small ones might need practice to open the clips.
I would not use plasic bags for such small children - too dangerous imo

Porpoiselife Mon 27-Mar-17 16:47:43

If your child cannot open it you are being quite unreasonable. I'd have thought sending in a lunchbox they can actually open themselves would be the sensible thing to do.

Fauxgina Mon 27-Mar-17 16:48:38

Yabu.

PatriciaHolm Mon 27-Mar-17 16:52:17

We've got a sistema one that I often struggle with, so I can see her point. It makes much more sense to have something your DD can cope with with minimal/no help.

SorrelSoup Mon 27-Mar-17 16:54:12

Can you link please?

WellErrr Mon 27-Mar-17 16:54:19

YABU.

They don't write letters home for fun, it's obviously an issue.

Pancakeflipper Mon 27-Mar-17 16:54:47

Just change it for one your child can open. It's not worth the huffing and puffing, it will be easier for your child and they won't have to wait until someone can come over to open their lunch box.

WateryTart Mon 27-Mar-17 17:00:40

If your child can't open it then it's unsuitable. Buy a new one today.

nick247 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:03:30

Picture is definitely needed!

NewPuppyMum Mon 27-Mar-17 17:06:49

So ridiculous to accuse the poster of being controlling.

The only reason to buy a new lunch box is if it isn't fit for purpose. This doesn't appear to be as your dc can't open it alone so get another one. The one with the indentation for an apple is nonsense. Just get a cloth one without compartments that can be washed in the machine or a plastic one that goes in the dishwasher. The former is a zip fastening and the latter a single clip.

jmh740 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:11:02

If your child can't open it then it isn't suitable. The teacher isn't there to open lunch boxes.

Notso Mon 27-Mar-17 17:12:41

What's the one with indentation for an apple?

MadMags Mon 27-Mar-17 17:14:43

If your child can't open it then it's not child friendly. confused

PandaPolar Mon 27-Mar-17 17:19:55

Can you imagine the time it would take the teacher to open every child's lunchbox? Get your kid a lunchbox that is suitable for their age and developmental skills.

Would you send your kid in laced-up shoes if you knew they couldn't tie their own laces and expect them to be tied up for her each time they came undone?

YABU.

Captaintango Mon 27-Mar-17 17:21:31

This is the lunchbox. To clarify, I will change it over the Easter break.
But I think she is a massive drama llama about it! There is a maximum of 3 children having packed lunch in a classroom with her. It's not a hall or class full of children.
Dd can do it if you hold the top, so it doesn't slip on the table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now