Talk

Advanced search

to ask what your DC does that makes you proud?

(74 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:13:20

I know its soppy and gushy but I'm trying to look at the good things in my life right now during a bit of a dark time.

My DS (just over 2.5) says Please, Thank you and Excuse me, unprompted. Its something we have encouraged since he could speak and I am so very proud when he does it when we're out in public.

What do your LOs do that make you proud?

FooFighter99 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:40:37

I'm the same cjt my DD5 has brilliant manners and she is also mega confident and will talk to anyone! She's so friendly and lovely and just it makes my heart burst with pride that I'm raising such a loving little girl smile

flowers for you, hope your dark time brightens very soon

FooFighter99 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:41:07

(it just)

cjt110 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:46:21

Thank you FooFighter99

Yes I am proud of him but also of us as parents for teaching him those things. I am all too quick to focus on the bad things, it's nice to look at the good things

ThePiglet59 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:47:51

None of mine are in prison yet

cjt110 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:50:45

ThePiglet59 Thats a brilliant achievement grin

Lingotria Mon 27-Mar-17 16:52:35

My dsd just designed her first mobile game. It's as basic as anything (think snake) but it's a really good start. Can't believe she's coding at 8!

cjt110 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:53:35

Lingotria Are they taught this in school now? Thats very clever. I work in an IT company - I am no techy at all - so her achievement is fab! Much better than I'd manage. Even Excel is a lost thing on me!

HelgaHufflepuff76 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:55:34

My dd who is 13 confronted some girls who were bullying a girl in her class on social media.
The girl has learning difficulties and is of Indian heritage so there was a lot of ableism and racism in the bullying.
My daughter called them out online and took screen shots of the abuse. She then told the teachers at school the next day.
When I saw what they had written to the bullies when defending her, and how maturely she had handled the situation I cried with pride.

TheTantrumCometh Mon 27-Mar-17 17:03:40

Helga it's a tough thing to stand up to yours peers at any age, but especially in teenage years. Well done to your DD smile

For me it's dd's handwriting recently. She's been really behind with it but I could read every word in my Mother's Day card and that's a huge step forward.

And DS whenever he manages not to cry when going in to preschool, or when he's tried not to. He loves it there (I have photographic evidence!) but he struggles with separation anxiety.

HelgaHufflepuff76 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:36:01

Thanks Tantrum, I never had the guts myself to stand up to bullying at school, despite wishing to, and feeling bad for not speaking out for others enough.

I can tell I'm premenstrual because I'm getting quite emotional reading these postssmile

loveyouradvice Mon 27-Mar-17 17:38:40

What a gorgeous thread! I feel ridiculously proud of DD for coming through tough times - for being kind to others - for investing so much in creating beautiful paintings - for loving me when Im not at my best... for so very very many things ....

TomatoTomAto Mon 27-Mar-17 17:45:03

I'm proud of dd for continuing on with her training and studies even though she's had a very tough year with illness. She's a complete mardy bum a lot of the time but she's also very thoughtful. She got me a valentines present because no one else would!
I'm proud of ds for being so happy most of the time and resilient. He's doing wonderfully at school (year 1) and is generally a very happy and polite boy.

I'm a lone parent with zero input from the father so I must be doing something right, even though it doesn't feel like it most of the time!

PlayOnWurtz Mon 27-Mar-17 17:45:53

They're them and I love them so much for it. I can't be prouder of the people they're turning into.

wineapotamus Mon 27-Mar-17 17:51:10

My son (5 yo) has a new baby sister and is being so kind and caring and brilliant with her it makes me feel teary. It's been just us for such a long time that it is a massive adjustment for him but he's coping really well even though he misses me. I'm so proud of him. star

minionsrule Mon 27-Mar-17 18:01:38

DS is 11 now, Year 7 (one of younger Year 7's). Until Year 6 he was never very self confident, never tried new things that looked a bit 'scary' etc.
In year 6 he went to his residential trip that did loads of adventurous stuff and he did nearly all of it grin., since then his confidence has soared.
Since starting high school he pretty much got the bus on his own from day 1 and the best one was the other week he got off the bus early coming home from school and 'popped' into the barbers to get his hair cut. He hand't told me he was going to do it - he just texted to say 'I'm in the barbers' - his hair was overdue a cut! I never thought he would do that on his own just yet
He is blossoming in front of my eyes and I love it

CoffeeChocolateWine Mon 27-Mar-17 18:04:23

If my DD (4) sees another child upset or crying for whatever reason, she will always go and see if they are ok. She was in a soft play the other weekend and a child of probably 3 hurt himself so she went over and put her hand on his back and asked if he was ok, and then took him by the hand to try and find his Mum. I was very proud of her because I don't think you can teach that kind of compassion and kindness...it just come from the person that she is. She is also incredibly determined and tenacious and doesn't give up if she is trying to do something.

My DS is 8 and is the most amazing big brother. He is so kind, caring, patient and protective. It was his birthday a few months ago and for the first time he received a bit of money. The first thing he said was that he'd to buy DD a little something. I told him that it was such a kind thought but that the money was for him, but he ignored me and bought her something anyway! And he always leaves something in his lunchbox for the end of the day because he know his sister loves to raid it for an after-school snack (even though I always have a little snack for them too...apparently my DS's leftovers are a more appealing option!) I just love that he thinks of her always and it makes me very proud smile

Iamyourmotheryours Mon 27-Mar-17 18:09:07

Dc 3, he makes me proud every day with his empathy, sense of humour and imagination. He's excellent at reacting to his family and friends feelings with empathy, gentleness and kindness. He makes up the most wonderful and funny scenarios for his plays. Just an amazing boy despite two less than perfect parents.

lessthanBeau Mon 27-Mar-17 18:22:40

My dd1 (24)is just so beautiful and clever, she struggled a bit in her teens with body confidence so it's lovely to see how she's blossomed. My Ds(26) is travelling the world living his dream , he's lived in Florida, Australia and now Canada! My dd2 (8) is very much a mediator, she likes everything to be fair and equal to everyone, there's not a jealous or envious bone in her body.
I'm just so proud of the people they are, those things are more important to me than their academic achievements (both oldest have 1sts MSc, those are for them to be proud of themselves) I am proud of their hard work and determination academically.

Lingotria Mon 27-Mar-17 21:10:44

@cjt110 - coding is a 'life-skills' option at her school (it's a private prep). She takes it and a language. The teacher used to develop mobile apps and is really good.

mumontherun14 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:25:43

My DS (12) was at panto with us at Christmas and we had been out for tea and gone to a little shop and got them lots of goodies. Outside the theatre he came up to me and asked me for £2 I gave it to him but I was grumbling a bit as I thought he was going for some flashing plastic tat or more sweets. My heart nearly burst when I saw him go over to a homeless guy outside the theatre and talk to him for a few minutes and gave him the money. He's a kind caring soul. DD is very funny and makes me very proud the way she has dealt recently with her great Gran dying. She has been just lovely to her grandad and helped out a lot. They both drive me bonkers at times but wouldn't change it for the world. What a nice thread thank you that cheered me up too xxx

WhenTheDragonsCame Mon 27-Mar-17 21:56:51

DD1(15) had a really bad year last year after we moved and she needed to change school. She got suspended 6 times in 7 months and disappeared overnight twice. Since September though she has made a huge effort and seems so much more like her old self. Not perfect and we have our moments but she just seems so much more grown up. At parents evening everyone of her teachers had something nice to say and she is much more engaged than she was before.

DD2(8) used some of her left over Christmas money to buy me presents for my birthday. I had said that I would give her money to buy something but she insisted on using her own money as she said it wasn't right for me to buy my own presents. She is very loving and kind, she is always offering the childminder money when she says something is going to b expensive for her. She has so much confidence and loves getting up on stage and dancing or singing for people.

DD3(6) loves learning. If she could go to school everyday she would be happy. Every teacher she has had so far is her favourite and she wants to please them and works really hard. She is really thoughtful and likes to make other people happy. Her teacher announced to the class recently that she is pregnant so DD3 made her a card and got me, DD1 and DD2 to also sign it. She makes cards for me while she is at the childminders and will randomly say that she loves me and that I am the best mum in the world.

As a lone parent life can be really hard but I need to remember things like this more often! Thank you OP flowers

idontwanttobehere Mon 27-Mar-17 22:07:21

My DS is the smartest thing ever (biased). His speech and language is incredible (he's 3) and I just love having random conversations with him. He makes me laugh every single day (and drives me crazy with his incessant need to narrate his life). I love his misunderstandings of words and his amazing memory.
I love how confident he is. I hope he stays that way and doesn't retreat into himself the way that I do.

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 28-Mar-17 08:24:13

The main things for me are : DS's swimming - I am bursting with pride when he wins at the school galas. DD every time she steps on a stage to perform as she was absolutely petrified of that kind of thing when she was infant school age and she has now completely overcome her fear.

The silly thing that makes me proud is that they will never ever drop litter and they look disgusted when they see other people doing it. I'd be even more proud if they actually put the litter in the bin when they got home though - have to spend ages emptying the pockets of stuff when I put a wash on!

Rainatnight Tue 28-Mar-17 08:31:27

I love this thread. I've gone all weepy!

My DD is only 9 months old. We've adopted her and she came home just 6 weeks ago (today!). She's such a happy, cheerful, curious soul, who's brought so much joy into our lives, and I'm so proud of her resilience and bravery for having dealt with so much already in her short life, and is still always smiling!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: