Talk

Advanced search

to amend my CV?? Help!

(8 Posts)
BettyBaggins Mon 27-Mar-17 15:20:04

I am actively searching to rejoin the employed after being self employed and working abroad, now back in UK, for a number for years.

I am applying for vacancies in my old professional career but in the meantime due to few openings need to temp and/or apply for roles that are a 'step down'. I am having problems getting any bites with my CV. I don't want to be self employed in UK and really want a 'normal' job.

Concerned I am over qualified would I be unreasonable to amend some of my job titles in my work experience? For example if I was a Marketing Manager can I change that title to Marketing Administrator? I usually had to do all of my own administration so I have the skills but I feel like I am being dishonest!!!

Betty is getting desperate and hungry what should I do!!!? I applied for a couple of supermarket jobs last week, I am really willing to work but I am getting turned down after completing some of the online assessments. This is not helping my confidence but my budgeting skills are getting really, really good as I watch my savings dwindle fast! confused

SeparatedByMotorways Mon 27-Mar-17 15:28:20

I don't have much help to offer unfortunately but just wanted to ask if you're going through a temp agency? They're variable in quality but I've been with agencies who have bent over backwards to help me with CV stuff. I can't imagine they would recommend you amend job titles but they might be able to help you reframe stuff to help pick up some temp work more quickly.

honeyroar Mon 27-Mar-17 16:01:25

If it's any consolation, my friend keeps getting rejected for supermarket jobs too on the online assessment thing. She finally met someone who worked for a supermarket and asked where she was going wrong and it turned out she'd been too proactive in her answers, the correct answer was always "ask a manager". Not doing things off your own back.

Etymology23 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:06:08

Could you just title them by type eg "Marketing Dept at Company X" - duties include blah blah blah admin. Etc ?

Porpoiselife Mon 27-Mar-17 16:15:05

Are you applying and uploading your CV online and not getting anything back? Is your CV 'software friendly'. If you are uploading a CV online there is about a 95% chance it is being read and evaluated by parser software and not an actual person, so if it can't be read by that software correctly you won't show up in any searches by recruitment consultants.

Basics would be to keep the info simple and to the point, use MS word, do not use PDF, do not use images. Do not put anything in a header, especially contact info.

Once you have a foot in the door you can send a more eye pleasing cv if you want to.

daisymoon77 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:25:12

I would look at doing a skills based CV where you can. Concentrate on the skills you can bring to the role and highligh specific examples of work you've done at the appropriate level. Job titles are less important then. Are you using LinkedIn? As an employer, I might question discrepancies between your CV and LI on job titles. References might also give your job title?

BettyBaggins Mon 27-Mar-17 19:30:49

Seperatedbymotorways - I have been holding off registering with temp agencies on the high street until I have relevant paperwork but have been applying for some temp vacancies online with Indeed etc. Thank you.

honeyroar - I wondered if thinking for oneself might be an issue and I have been putting my full education on as well inc. degree. Thank you.

etymology - I could on my CV but can't on online application forms. Thank you.

porpoiselife - I have my cv as a pdf (apple user not MS) damn, I shall adjust that. Thank you.

daisymoon - I now have a number of cv's to suit different vacancies retail/administration and my professional skills. I do also have a skills based one but I think they all need a rewrite again again! Thank you.

It's a horrid, horrid situation to be in, savings gone and am pretty sure the stress is affecting my ability to see and deal with the situation clearly.

Thanks again all for the pointers and advice.

BettyBaggins Tue 28-Mar-17 19:12:39

I have an interview this Friday! With an amended CV. It's amazing how one simple interview can change ones mood.

I shan't let up on applications but it's good to know my CV is actually working. Thank you again all for taking the time to post guidance. flowers

Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now