Talk

Advanced search

To report youtube people who film while driving

(18 Posts)
jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:28:51

So many seem to do this, it's now 6 points if you use your phone when driving so should the same apply to cameras? You can often see the narcissists looking at themselves while in the viewfinder.

Who do you report them to in the UK?

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Mon 27-Mar-17 12:35:51

Most YouTube videos are filmed by dash cams or similar, not cameras the driver has to hold.

If you've actually seen someone using a camera in there hands while driving then yes you can report if you want to although I have no idea what the rules are in regards to that

wasonthelist Mon 27-Mar-17 12:45:02

YANBU to try but no-one will be interested. Considering how many egregious bits of driving (and cars with all sorts of illegalities) I see every day we are pretty much at zero enforcement.

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:45:21

Many are, but you can clearly tell the ones where someone is holding it while driving.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:48:11

I have recorded in the car not for YouTube but to show my dad ( he lives abroad) when I changed cars, I used a dash cam type camera thing, I did not have the camera in my hands.

What have you actually seen someone holding a camera talking photos? Yes you could report that but I am not sure what the rules are on that or of anything could be done

Or are you just talking about people that film in general? But dash cams are legal and it's very different filming that way than texting or making a phone call when driving

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:24:50

I didn't want to give the guy any more attention (this guy is awful but im reviewing browsing history for ds), but around the 5 min mark

all i can see is to dial 911 for non emergency crimes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfzdMRS0_c&t=301s

BertieBotts Mon 27-Mar-17 13:34:36

confused don't dial 911, you'll get put through to 999 and tie up the line for emergencies.

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 13:40:46

I'm not sure it's clear he's holding the camera? He's using his left hand to move the gear stick and it looks like his right hand is on the wheel? I think that camera could be mounted and that it just bumps while he's driving a bit. Could be wrong mind you.

BertieBotts Mon 27-Mar-17 13:40:50

I can't watch the video as I am at work but if he isn't even in the same country I don't think you have any way to report it.

I've seen youtubers do this too btw especially in the US, often with kids in the car! But I'm not going to phone up the American police and say that I saw something on youtube. That just seems totally overkill. If it was your next door neighbour it might be different.

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 13:42:58

Bertie, as you can't watch the video, I will answer for the op that the YouTuber is British. He's driving in England

BertieBotts Mon 27-Mar-17 13:48:30

Ah ok sorry, use of 911 confused me. Did you mean 101 OP?

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 13:49:52

Oh yes... that makes sense Bertie... perhaps op is American? But that YouTuber she linked is definitely British (I really shouldn't know this much about you tubers!)

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:50:12

I think he's holding the wheel and the camera on some kind of tripod / stick with the same hand. It doesn't look like its mounted at all as it moves with his hand.

I see it all the time on youtube, though as you say mostly US people. But with a big uk person doing it I was hoping there was some way to report it. So bad, all the comments are slating him on it.

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:51:23

Sorry yes I mean 101, I'm typing this while on a conference call and I really can't multitask well...

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 14:08:01

Sorry op, I wasn't meaning to nitpick just somewhat hoping he was not doing anything 'illegal' since lots of young people watch him.
For what it's worth, I agree and to be honest I also don't think youtubers should vlog while driving even when the camera is mounted. I think it's distracting. Their focus is on the vlog rather than the road. Obviously there's nothing we can do about that though as at the moment it isn't illegal.
As for him holding the camera (I agree it looks like he is, but was trying to come from a different angle) I'm guessing that must be illegal, same as having your phone in your hand

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 14:12:20

www.bridgendford.co.uk/news/the-police-have-a-new-toy-to-stop-mobile-phone-users/

Surely he's got to be doing something wrong?

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:13:34

Oh gosh no need to say sorry. I agree I don't think any of them should drive and do it, not sure if "driving without undue care and attention" will cover this? Would be nice to see a big person take point for this to send out a message, but I would feel a bit silly calling 101 to report this (more because I would have to explain that I was watching this tools video).

jdoe8 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:16:16

Thanks for the link, I did check my phone while waiting in solid traffic the other day. The engine was still on, but it was out of gear and handbreak on so looks like i broke the law. If I had a new car that switched the engine off I might of been ok blush sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now