Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"In Europe most people rent"

(76 Posts)
cheesyinkent Mon 27-Mar-17 09:14:02

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

Why do people constantly say this when it's not true and the UK has one of the highest renting rates in Europe? France has a similar home ownership rate and renters over there have way more rights.

MrsHughesCarson Mon 27-Mar-17 09:20:50

This has always annoyed me too. I lived in France for 25 years and everyone I knew aspired to become a homeowner.

CasperGutman Mon 27-Mar-17 09:23:31

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

gleam Mon 27-Mar-17 09:24:27

And even if a lot of people do rent, somebody owns those homes!

namechange20050 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:25:01

I've only ever heard it said about Switzerland & Germany, not the whole of Europe.

namechange20050 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:26:22

Presumable gleam figures would be based on place of primary residence.

Areyoufree Mon 27-Mar-17 09:27:42

I did not know this. Effective propaganda, I guess! I've said it before, but now stand corrected.

I17neednumbers Mon 27-Mar-17 09:33:31

Very interesting table - even in number 47, the famous "Germany", "most people" ie the majority, own their homes!

It does tend to be owner occupiers who say 'oh what's so great about home ownership, in "Germany" most people rent.'. Yes I agree, it is highly annoying and minimises a real problem. That's not even starting on the fact that rental conditions in Germany are different.

Though it is interesting from that table that very high rates of owner occupation are not necessarily associated with very high gdp per capita. But Sweden, Netherlands, Canada, France, Australia - all rich countries, and all 65% or above. Of course the UK figure is still 63% - but that obscures the difference between generations - the over 40s and under 40s. Would be interesting to know if the same is true in the other high owner occupation countries.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 27-Mar-17 09:38:33

In Europe/Germany or wherever more people rent and more people are happy to rent because they have more rights and it is probably more affordable. It is so secure in Germany that tenants generally install their own kitchens etc.

More people would be happy to rent in the UK if they could live there for as long as they liked and were protected from unreasonable rent increases.

DevelopingDetritus Mon 27-Mar-17 09:44:07

It's probably banded about to try and appease us.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Mon 27-Mar-17 09:45:42

Like Barbara said - very different rights. My BIL is in Germany and they have just bought after working towards it for years. And when moving took "their" kitchen from the rental place with them.

The other one that confuses me is "In Germany they don't start school until 6!" Read that one time about 20 minutes after my (German) niece - who had not yet turned 3 - demonstrated correct pencil grip for me over Skype. They may not call it school but I'm pretty sure you don't learn correct pencil grip by running round a forest.

egosumquisum1 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:50:29

Interesting to see those countries which have above 90%. How do they manage that?

What are they doing that we aren't?

oblada Mon 27-Mar-17 09:53:15

I've never said that in France more ppl rent however what I will say is that culturally it is more accepted and acceptable to rent in France and this is also linked to much higher legal protection for tenants. Yes people may aspire to home ownership but I don't think it's as big a deal as it is here. My brother is 3yrs older than me and just bought his flat (aged 35), my cousin just bought as well (aged 40) and a few others who are between 35-45yrs old are only now looking into buying. The rest are renting out. My parents are wealthy but didn't buy their main home (we did have a little countryside house though) until I was 16yrs old. The mentality is different.

shovetheholly Mon 27-Mar-17 10:02:23

I think another issue may be that "renting" means different things in different places, depending on how regulated housing provision actually is, and how secure tenancies are.

Hassled Mon 27-Mar-17 10:05:25

I have to say I'm amazed. I've believed the "in Europe most people rent" line for years. I wonder why this misinformation came about?

farfarawayfromhome Mon 27-Mar-17 10:23:51

this is only anecdotal but not one of my french friends owns their own property, or has any desire to. could it be a city/country thing?

katronfon Mon 27-Mar-17 10:29:00

I've never said that in France more ppl rent however what I will say is that culturally it is more accepted and acceptable to rent in France

This...plus a breakdown of where people rent and where people own is relevant (don't know what the breakdown is BTW), because, without knowing the answer, I suspect that in cities, rental rates may be higher in many parts of Europe, as they are here. While I suspect that here and in many other places, home ownership is much higher in rural areas...and France, Germany etc have much more rurality so this may well skew the figures.

What I mean is that if you only compared urban areas I suspect you'd find that rental is much more commonplace in the rest of Europe than it is here.

cheesyinkent Mon 27-Mar-17 10:33:35

I've never said that in France more ppl rent however what I will say is that culturally it is more accepted and acceptable to rent in France

Well that's an accurate statement, however as part of UK property propaganda that translates as "most people in Europe are happy to rent". I think it's just a way of shutting down people that have asperations to own and avoiding the fact that the UK housing system has major issues.

katronfon Mon 27-Mar-17 10:45:18

Well that's an accurate statement, however as part of UK property propaganda that translates as "most people in Europe are happy to rent". I think it's just a way of shutting down people that have asperations to own and avoiding the fact that the UK housing system has major issues.

but if you dig down deeper and find that it is a fact in urban areas, then if you change the statement to "most people in cities Europe are happy to rent' it become accurate. Then you'd be comparing like to like.

I have to agree with pp, also purely anecdotally, everyone I know in Europe also rents. The only people I know who own homes in France own holiday homes there and live in the UK.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Mon 27-Mar-17 10:48:06

Protection for tenants in e.g. Germany is much better than here. I used to wonder who owned all the houses, then, but apparently it's pension funds, etc., not private landlords who may be bad at maintenance, and might well give you 2 months' notice because they've decided to sell.

As for France, while staying at a BiL's place in Burgundy, I remarked to a French neighbour of his how it's commonly said in the U.K. that Brits are 'obsessed with' owning their own homes, whereas in e.g. France they're not so bothered.
'But they are!' she said. 'They are!' (Exact words in her excellent English)

cheesyinkent Mon 27-Mar-17 10:53:46

but if you dig down deeper and find that it is a fact in urban areas, then if you change the statement to "most people in cities Europe are happy to rent' it become accurate.

Dont think thats true either, the more socially acceptable part from earlier is. From my limited friendship group the people I know in Madrid, Berlin and nice all want to buy somewhere eventually.

katronfon Mon 27-Mar-17 11:01:58

Okay interesting, so possibly the accurate statement would be 'most people in cities Europe rent'?

Whereas, I suspect that would not be true in the UK - although London would skew our figures too, I suspect.

egosumquisum1 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:05:32

but if you dig down deeper and find that it is a fact in urban areas, then if you change the statement to "most people in cities Europe are happy to rent' it become accurate

That's true of many statistics - go beyond the headlines and dig deeper.

Simple soundbites reveal a whole complexity of realities.

AnnaMoon Mon 27-Mar-17 11:17:19

In Europe, people rent when they live a mobile life - people work for a company in the South of Germany for 9 years and then move to the North, or people move between countries.
However, once they decide to settle down, they will usually buy a property. It would be interesting to see the statistics per age group.
Tenants are much more protected than in the UK, and they can indeed install their own kitchens, change the gardens, and can often only be asked to leave if the landlord himself wants to move in (case for Belgium).

kalinkafoxtrot45 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:18:30

In the German city where I live, almost everyone I know rents. Tenant protection laws are very strong and it takes a lot of time and money to evict someone. The flipside is that landlords are extremely picky about who they let to, because they could be stuck with you a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now