Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to worry about threads being published in the Mail?

(21 Posts)
PollyPerky Mon 27-Mar-17 08:45:17

Have just seen yet another one lifted (Is 3 pairs of pants enough...) and think that MNHQ must turn a blind eye or have an arrangement with DM as all posts on MN are copyrighted.

It makes me think that when people post for a certain audience (albeit on a public forum) their lives and opinions risk being reported in a national paper as well.

Datun Mon 27-Mar-17 08:48:35

I don't think threads are copyrighted? I believe as they are in the public forum they are available for anyone to reproduce.

Datun Mon 27-Mar-17 08:49:34

And the publicity would be good, as far as MNHQ are concerned.

LemonRedwood Mon 27-Mar-17 08:50:19

Where did you get the idea that posts are copyrighted?

ShatnersWig Mon 27-Mar-17 08:51:30

Polly Ironically, you say you've just seen yet another thread lifted and yet you've missed plenty of other threads saying exactly the same as your thread.

Open forum, public domain.

LemonRedwood Mon 27-Mar-17 08:52:22

It's annoying because it's lazy journalism, but what's the difference between being published for all the world to read on mumsnet and being published for bigots all the world to read in the dm?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 27-Mar-17 08:52:28

Ugh, this has been done to death. There is no legal ownership of public posts on an open forum on the Internet.

The Daily Wail are total c@nts,but they are not acting illegally or even imorally in this case.

The fact their "journos" have nothing better to write about says more about the state of the paper than anything else.

Maudlinmaud Mon 27-Mar-17 08:54:41

Most of the threads which are "lifted" are most likely started by journos. MN have made their posistion clear on this issue about 6 billion times already.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Mon 27-Mar-17 08:54:57

We haven't had one of these threads for a while hmm

OP, do a search and you will find hundreds of threads on this.

But to sum up:

This is a publicly available site

It is not a safe space (any more than anywhere on the internet)

MN aren't accepting kick backs

They were looking into fair use at one point

No you can't put a legal disclaimer on your post as it means nothing

Posting about the DM lifting threads just increases their click count

TwatteryFlowers Mon 27-Mar-17 08:55:24

Seriously, I would have thought that if you don't want the world to know about your current situation, your history or something you do, think or believe, then you should think twice about writing about it on an online forum, especially one that's as big and as well-known as mumsnet.

If you really do want or need the support of other posters but don't want to be recognised then you should frequently change your username.

VintagePerfumista Mon 27-Mar-17 08:56:52

...^ what Maud and Vivienne said. Especially the bit about this being talked about eleventy billion times already.

You don't want to be in the Mail? Don't post private stuff/stuff you've made up for the lolz on MN. Simples.

PollyPerky Mon 27-Mar-17 09:01:23

Well believe it or not no, I'd not seen previous threads on this. But there are many, many topics that keep coming up again on MN so that's really no biggy.

If you look in the T&Cs of posting rules it says that anything on the site is the property of MN and can't be reproduced without their permission. I have friends who are journos and know they can't just 'lift' threads.

PollyPerky Mon 27-Mar-17 09:02:13

This is not about 'me'. I'm speaking about the principle.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Mon 27-Mar-17 09:05:14

If you have seen the other threads you will have seen MN's response to them.

It is lazy journalism but it gets DM extra clicks.

Plus, given that nobody on here admits to reading the Mail, I'm always mildly surprised how many posters have seen threads on there

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Mon 27-Mar-17 09:07:01

Response to the principle I mean. They can do it, there's bugger all we can do except as PP says, change names/details. But it's a handy reminder that this is public and that therefore anyone can read the posts on here.

MarsInScorpio Mon 27-Mar-17 09:09:35

given that nobody on here admits to reading the Mail, I'm always mildly surprised how many posters have seen threads on there

As am I. grin

And how anything they print gets linked to and criticised.

VintagePerfumista Mon 27-Mar-17 14:03:44

Also interesting is the seachange shift of opinion over the last 5-6 yrs. Once upon a MN, people would proudly start a new thread saying "lookatmelookatme I got a namecheck in the Mail" and everyone would fawn.

Now it's "MN do something! When I posted lurid invented details about my sexlife I didn't think anyone would read it"

And we tell our kids not to overshare on t'interweb....

wasonthelist Mon 27-Mar-17 14:51:23

Plus, given that nobody on here admits to reading the Mail, I'm always mildly surprised how many posters have seen threads on there

And me - stop buying the Daily Heil and stop visiting their putrid website - problem solved.

floraeasy Mon 27-Mar-17 14:57:06

There's nothing to be done.

If you want to post about an issue, just remember to have boring username, name change for certain problems, change details (ages, locations, number of kids) where it won't affect the issue being discussed, etc.

You can't stop the DM publishing the thread, but you can do your best to make sure you aren't recognised and outed.

Dontactlikeyouknowme Mon 27-Mar-17 15:01:55

Nowt you can do.As a pp said don't post your life on MN. It is a pita but it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Someone's poor DD ended up all over Twitter.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 27-Mar-17 15:08:00

It will be all about the fair use. If MN wanted to take the DM to court all that would happen is that MN and the DM would spend a lot of money on lawyers to argue as to whether what the DM is doing is 'fair use' or not. Which it probably is. The DM can probably afford enough lawyers to ensure that they stray very close, but don't cross any such lines. Same for libel etc.

But I agree that it is lazy journalism. As one of the DM commenters said on one of the articles. 'This is not journalism. If I wanted to read Mumsnet, I would go on Mumsnet'.

It amuses me when they blur out all the naughty words and usernames like cuntwaffle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now