Talk

Advanced search

Re Mother's Day?

(16 Posts)
Stumbleine Mon 27-Mar-17 08:15:34

I live around 150 away from my Mum, so no plans to see each other yesterday. I sent a card. I bought her a gift (tickets to a show - my idea and I purchased them) It was a joint gift with my siblings who live close by to her, so I waited to let them tell her about the gift as they were seeing her for lunch.

I tried calling in the afternoon but her mobile went to answerphone and no answer on the landline. I wrote a Facebook message in the evening wishing her a happy Mother's Day and asking what she had been up to.

A bit later I received a text from my sister asking if I had spoken to Mum, as she was 'upset I hadn't contacted her.' I then tried calling again and also tried my Dad's phone. No answer. And she has ignored my Facebook message.

Aibu to think she needs to stop acting like a spoiled brat!? I have four of my own dc (one under 6 months), so isn't as though I was siting around all day doing nothing! She could have Ickes up the phone to speak to me if she was that desperate. I secretly think she is peeved that I haven't been publicly fawning all over her on Facebook (like everybody else seem to do!). She wrote several posts throughout the day, displaying gifts and proclaiming what a lovely time he was having hmm

I'm now getting the cold shoulder and it really put a dampener on what was a lovely day for me yesterday.

Stumbleine Mon 27-Mar-17 08:18:02

That should say 150 miles.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:18:13

She sounds absolutely pathetic! You are wasting your time here love she is not acting in a rational way but instead seems to enjoy the attention she is garnering by pretending to everyone that you didn't bother with her.

Despicable way for a mother to behave

Topuptheglass Mon 27-Mar-17 08:20:55

Didn't you tell your sister about the missed phone calls?

highinthesky Mon 27-Mar-17 08:21:34

Leave the ball in DM's court for now. You have 4 DC of your own to raise, and DM is acting like a fifth.

DonaldStott Mon 27-Mar-17 08:21:54

Yab a bit u.

You didn't send ger a text/call her in the morning to say happy mothers day, have a lovely day.

I think it would have been nicer to contact her personally than put a half assed message on facebook which is basically 'look at me, aren't I lovely wishing my mum a great mothers day, so everyone can see meeeee''

Would it have been so hard to message her in the morning?

Underthemoonlight Mon 27-Mar-17 08:23:00

There some very entitled people about yesterday i couldn't believe the amount moaning threads especially the daughter one who drew a card and then made homemade scones. You are not being unreasonable you got her a card and gift. You have a family of your own she needs to understand you may want to spend the day with your family. I wouldn't reach out anymore than you have let her be in a huff.

Stumbleine Mon 27-Mar-17 08:25:00

Yes, I did tell my sister about the missed calls.

DonaldStott - it was private message I sent her, not a public post.

TheWhiteRoseOfYork Mon 27-Mar-17 08:28:29

Donald- the op has four kids of her own including a young baby, maybe she did not have time to catch her breath until the evening, let alone pander to her mum! YANBU OP, you have done nothing wrong!

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 27-Mar-17 08:30:40

Just ignore her. She's being ridiculous. Did your siblings claim the tickets were from only them / organised by them?

Mrsknackered Mon 27-Mar-17 08:32:52

She'll get over it that's ridiculous.
I also live that distance from family and she was quite satisfied with the card and books I sent!

RainbowPastel Mon 27-Mar-17 09:35:10

You should have called or text her first thing not in the afternoon. I am not surprised she is upset.

Stumbleine Mon 27-Mar-17 09:49:17

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of messaging her along the lines of 'sorry I upset you, let's be friends type thing.' I fear if I call she will just be all sulky and passive aggressive (she isn't the most emotionally expressive person!). I'm annoyed by this but I really don't want to fall out over it sad

Topuptheglass Mon 27-Mar-17 21:31:40

How'd it go stumbiline?

embo1 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:37:41

Maybe include in there why you thought she'd enjoy that particular show... So she realises you were thinking about her. And how it's a shame how you missed her everytime you called...

Stumbleine Mon 27-Mar-17 23:23:07

Update - she called me this morning. My card didn't turn up until today (despite me posting in good time!). And she said that she did not realise I had tried calling. I can believe that as her phone does do some weird stuff sometimes. I still think she was being
a little petulant, but we have exchanged apologies and all is good with the world again! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now