Talk

Advanced search

To quit?

(5 Posts)
IsithormonesoramIamadcow Sun 26-Mar-17 23:29:30

I've been involved with a local volunteer group for a little over a year. It's a cause that is very close to my heart and I have done all I can to make it a success. I have ended up doing loads of the donkey work and admin. I don't mind this too much and have told myself that it is good practise ( I'm a SAHM who will need to go back into work at some point) but recently it's got too much. Other people have dropped out and I have picked up more and more.

I have 2 toddlers and end up doing the work late at night (not great when my DC2 wakes multiple times a night), or if there is a tight deadline, while they watch CBeebies...I feel that on occasion I am neglecting them and my DH has certainly complained that I am neglecting him.

I am part of a team of about 8, but most of the others are retired... and think they just need to turn up to the odd meeting and talk. The actual actions seem to always fall to me to undertake, as they all profess to be technophobes. Most won't even try to go on Facebook...

Recently new (elderly!) members have joined the team, and i feel, from being a 'founder member' of the organisation I have been relegated to 'admin assistant'. It doesn't help that I am not a good public speaker and tend to get overshadowed in meetings. However I have a great deal of relevant academic experience in the field and believe I have a valuable contribution to make.

I am frustrated, and fed up and feel that maybe I should just leave them too it. But I am reluctant to quit as I don't want the organisation to go tits up? AIBU to quit?

Sorry this is long, but been good to rant!

BoysaDearyMe Sun 26-Mar-17 23:35:33

If you don't want to quit, then you have to tell them what you're prepared to do in your role and that you feel that you've been expected to do too much and that it's going over your life.
If you don't want to solely do admin duties then tell them what it is that you're willing to do.
Their attitudes and response will help you decide whether to stay, on your terms, or leave.
Whatever you do, do not allow anyone to tAke advantage of your helpful nature.

IsithormonesoramIamadcow Mon 27-Mar-17 07:37:22

Thank you. I have tried to set boundaries, but as people have left I end up taking on things temporarily and then I never seem to be able to pass them on. I have spent hours going through some of the jobs with other members of the team, only for them to give up because they find the IT a struggle. Its frustrating as I'm not great at it myself, but have managed to set up and admin the organisations website among other things. There's a certain level of misogyny which I am fed up of fighting against. I am a feminist, but I am cross that I am spending energy dealing with this that could be used for the cause.

BoysaDearyMe Wed 29-Mar-17 07:29:26

In that case, if it were me I would leave as it sounds like they're taking you for granted

LeninaCrowne Wed 29-Mar-17 08:30:25

It sounds like your family life is being affected detrimentally by this. I would give it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now