Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to walk out of this cafe/restaurant?

(95 Posts)
disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 16:48:08

Booked a table for 5 for MD lunch at a local cafe/restaurant.

Me, DH and DD arrive first, my parents still on their way. We are given a table that comfortably sits 8, 10 at a push.

A few minutes later, a group of 6 arrive (five adults and a baby) without a booking. Waiter tells them to sit "at the end of that table". Meaning ours. As we were still a party of three at that stage, they spread out to take the majority of the table. I point out we were waiting for two other people. They make an attempt to shuffle up, but there really wasn't room. I see red, pack up and leave after telling the waiter that it wasn't an acceptable way to treat us given we had booked two months ago.

For context, it's not fine dining. It's a cafe that does very nice (and expensive) food at an exclusive waterside location.

WIBU to throw a strop? In my defence we've had a very stressful week with relatives in hospital etc.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 26-Mar-17 16:50:12

I don't think ywbu but guess you got no lunch. I'd have asked for the manager and politely but firmly said it wasn't on.

sonyaya Sun 26-Mar-17 16:51:04

Terrible service given you'd booked in advance.

PollyBanana Sun 26-Mar-17 16:51:48

Why did you leave?
I would have ring fenced the space you needed. If this didn't leave party of 6 enough space tough.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 26-Mar-17 16:52:47

You booked and they hadn't so imo the restaurant should of said no space sorry, who doesn't book for Mother's Day? I would of spoke to a manager first and if they'd said nothing we can I would of left too.

Did you get lunch somewhere?

PossumInAPearTree Sun 26-Mar-17 16:52:54

Did you find anywhere else to eat? We ended up eating pizza express pizza in the car as we hadn't booked!

thatstoast Sun 26-Mar-17 16:53:54

Shouldn't the other party leave considering they hadn't booked? Were you able to find somewhere else to have lunch?

disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 16:54:06

Possum We had a great lunch in the restaurant next door.

I didn't want to get into a discussion because that would have ended with the waiter saying something to the other party like "these people don't want you sitting at your table" which would have spoiled the whole occasion.

Scrumple Sun 26-Mar-17 16:54:48

Really poor service. They're clearly putting the idea of more money before customer satisfaction/comfort.

I wouldn't have left without more of a fight though. I'd have insisted on them moving us to our own table. Only if they refused, and after i'd spoken to a manager and made a complaint in person, would i have left.

I bet they squished more people without reservations in to your spots as soon as you left, and they won't think twice about improving things for future.

TitaniasCloset Sun 26-Mar-17 16:56:32

Did you complain first then leave?

disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 16:57:00

I quite fighty but I didn't want to have a fight and then to stay. It would have spoiled the atmosphere and I would be afraid that the would spit in our soup wink

disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 16:57:21

*am

disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 16:58:31

Titania I didn't complain but I did tell them why I we were leaving, and that what they did was unacceptable.

TitaniasCloset Sun 26-Mar-17 16:59:09

Yabu not to complain. Perhaps the waiter was just being a bit dopy.

TitaniasCloset Sun 26-Mar-17 17:00:32

Oh OK. Yeah just read that. Well done for saying something. They needed to know. Really bad service.

khajiit13 Sun 26-Mar-17 17:01:40

I don't understand why you left tbh. I'd have waited for your parents to arrive, there wouldn't have been enough room and reminded the waiter you booked the table.

TitaniasCloset Sun 26-Mar-17 17:01:58

I would have left too. Paranoid about people spitting in soups and cannot deal with a bad atmosphere.

SoupDragon Sun 26-Mar-17 17:05:48

I do think you were a bit unreasonable not to give them the chance to sort it out. The waiter probably saw just 3 people on a large table and thought the 5 other customers would fit.

LindyHemming Sun 26-Mar-17 17:06:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thatstoast Sun 26-Mar-17 17:07:08

If there was a table available right next door I would've been tempted to go back and tell the other family they can go there. I am pretty though.

expatinscotland Sun 26-Mar-17 17:08:24

I'd have complained first.

PopCakes Sun 26-Mar-17 17:08:48

YANBU. It would be awkward to have to essentially tell the other people to leave, the waiter should have done that.

disappearingfish Sun 26-Mar-17 17:08:50

I didn't complain because the only outcome that I would have been happy with would be for the waiter to tell the people they couldn't sit there after all. Full, busy restaurant, everyone overhearing my complaint, family with cute baby thrown out into the cold because of unfriendly me.

Not conducive to good digestion smile

NavyandWhite Sun 26-Mar-17 17:09:27

If the OP had said she wanted the other group moving can you imagine the huffing and puffing, people staring etc. They probably would have to leave making the OP feel bad. The waiter was in the wrong. I understand why the OP left!

graciestocksfield Sun 26-Mar-17 17:10:03

I'd have said something as the waiter showed them to our table. "Sorry, I don't think there is room to share this table, we will be five shortly."

The waiter probably saw just 3 people on a large table and thought the 5 other customers would fit.

Tough shit, he was doing his job badly then. How about checking the booking first? I'd have known that when I first started waitressing at the age of 17. Basic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now