Talk

Advanced search

To want everyone to stay away for a little while?

(11 Posts)
Swann10 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:33:25

I am past my due date and will be being induced in the next week or so if baby doesn't make an appearence.

AIBU to want no visitors (except close family - grandparents etc) for the first week at least?

I've felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people coming out of the woodwork since my due date - with plans to visit, asking to be kept updated as soon as I go into labour/as soon as the baby's here, wanting photos etc..

I love that I have supportive people who care so I don't mean to sound ungrateful that people want to meet my baby! But the thought of extended family members (some who I haven't seen in a year or more) and old friends I have barely seen since getting pregnant makes me really uncomfortable.

It's my first baby and had a couple of scares in the pregnancy so I feel like I'm really protective of the first few days/weeks.

A lot of these people are also really into sharing stuff on Facebook which id hate..

Are pregnancy hormones just turning me into an antisocial cow? grin

DJBaggySmalls Sun 26-Mar-17 16:34:55

YANBU. I couldnt be doing with everyone traipsing in with their germs and energy and good wishes. I just wanted to sleep grin

Swann10 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:37:15

Okay glad it's not just me grin.. I know a few people inparticular are going to be really pushy I was wondering if I could get away with a secret day or two before I even announce the birth blush

HadrianHadALongWall23 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:41:19

Just tell anyone who ask, I'm sorry but we arent having any visitors for 2 weeks. An dont update the people asking for updates at all. You can assume immediate family will want to come and see you, but you could put those off too a little bit.
After my first baby, I really didnt want visitors at all either..be firm...dont let people spoil this time.
And I dont care what people say about pregnancy not being an illness, having a baby can be really hard work, and you can feel poorly/ tired/ exhausted and just plain ill for a while after..

MamaHanji Sun 26-Mar-17 17:04:43

Yanbu

It's completely your choice and just tell people you are no longer haven't visitors. And you don't have to tell anyone you are in labour that you don't want to. People always think babies are communal somehow.

'Let me know when they're born and I'll come to the hospital to meet them'

Erm no you won't thanks. I'll give you a date when I'm home and settled.

People always get offended but it really isn't anything to do with them. And when you are ready for visitors, ask them to do something for you! Like hold the baby while you shower, or bring some lunch bits.

X

miserableandinpain Sun 26-Mar-17 21:47:48

Yanbu.
Since being pregnant and more to the end people i havent spoken to in ages have suddenly decided they want to visit me. Thats lovely but i have 2 toddlers, work from home and am exhausted and dont want to host any one.

I hope it goes well for you

X

FluffyEwok Sun 26-Mar-17 22:31:41

This is why i plan to lie about my due date

FluffyEwok Sun 26-Mar-17 22:32:14

Yanbu btwwink

Redken24 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:35:01

Omg if you know you feel like this do it! ! I wish I had realised this before I had my baby. Tell them no visitors til your ready smile

Trixiebelle16 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:36:55

Yanbu - my child is now five and I still wish everyone would just piss off! grin

ashleighxoxo Mon 27-Mar-17 10:51:18

Feel exactly the same! I'm due in 2 days and you'd think I'd be nervous or anxious about the birth..no! Im just anxious about visitors coming to play pass the parcel with my new baby. I really want to bond with my baby and have all the skin to skin and establish breast feeding etc. So I too just want to be left alone for a week to get used to everything. (It's my first) but I know that won't happen angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now