Talk

Advanced search

Mother's Day

(11 Posts)
wurlycurly Sun 26-Mar-17 13:45:50

My husband is away playing golf this weekend. I don't mind this at all. But as today is Mother's Day I thought he might put something in place for me before he left: bunch of daffodils? Pain au chocolate? Our dd is too young to go and buy anything herself. His argument is "you're not my mother". I'm only mildly irked but AIBU to be irked at all?

Guitargirl Sun 26-Mar-17 13:49:43

Pity that lovely weekend away you've been planning to go on ALONE is in the middle of June. What's that you say, DH? Father's Day? Is it? What's that got to do with me?

balinesecat Sun 26-Mar-17 15:43:47

And has he done anything for his mother?

floatingfrog Sun 26-Mar-17 15:51:07

hmm. I don't expect my DH to buy do anything for me. He does some years other years he is busy or forgets. I have no expectations. My DC have been incredible today and have made me feel so appreciated with no intervention from DH.

Don't feel bad no one has done anything wrong. Make yourself a cup of tea and put your feet up and watch a film.

PurpleDaisies Sun 26-Mar-17 15:54:09

How old are your children?

PurpleDaisies Sun 26-Mar-17 15:54:54

Sorry, just realised your dd is too young.

I can understand why you're disappointed. Did you get a card?

Hellmouth Sun 26-Mar-17 15:56:40

I'm not bothered about one day, how DP treats me the rest of the year is more important.

Treat yourself to something and don't let him get you down!

Guitargirl Sun 26-Mar-17 15:59:13

I don't think it's about buying anything or about stuff. Floatingfrog - you've said your DCs have made it a lovely day for you. That's great but also implies that they're old enough to recognise what day it is and what it signifies.

For parents of very young children, when the days can be flipping long and hard work, the children are often too young to know anything about Mother's Day.

When my DCs were very small I always appreciated that DP would remember and stick them in front of some card with some crayons. And they would come toddling in grinning with a bunch of daffs, clutching their cards, looking so pleased with themselves. It's not about presents or stuff but is about helping young DCs to put a smile on their mum's face. As your DCs have done for you today.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sun 26-Mar-17 16:05:34

What a ridiculous argument he's making - you're the mother of his child - a child who is too young to do something herself. You are a mother, it's Mother's Day - who on earth does he think is going to buy a card/ present/ flowers? For all my exH faults I remember my first ever Mother's Day 18 yrs ago walking around the shops the day before pushing a 6 month old in a buggy everyone dashing about buying cards and gifts. Conversation went like this:
DH: "why's everyone carrying flowers"
Me: probably because it's Mother's Day tomorrow
DH: oh yes - oh and you're a mother now
Me: yes that's right - my first Mother's Day how exciting
DH: so who gets your card and pre......{sound of penny dropping}
Long pause
DH: erm .... can we meet in half an hour just need to do something

It is absolutely your DH responsibility to get something sorted.

floatingfrog Sun 26-Mar-17 16:07:52

Yes but equally I really wouldn't have minded if they had forgotten etc. It's how they behave throughout the year that counts. My DH to be fair did make an effort generally in the early years so maybe this has been instilled in my DC to make and effort not materially but just respectful simple stuff. Maybe that's why OP is upset. I am just telling her to not feel bad and to relax and put it out of her mind for now. Later she can perhaps explain to DH that she would like her DH to acknowledge the day in a certain way.

I do think as PPs have said we have to set the bar by showing others how we would like the day to pan out and not the other way around as that is bound to end in disappointment.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 26-Mar-17 16:12:42

How does he treat you the rest of the year? Are you are appreciated the other 364 days of the year?

I guess a card would of been nice did you get one? And you've had the day with your dd hopefully you've not been back to the thread as you took yourself out somewhere with the child

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now