Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is bad parenting?

(81 Posts)
AngelThursday Sun 26-Mar-17 13:08:43

Child aged about 5 in shop creating because he wants to be bought a toy cat he has seen. Dad says no. Boy makes more fuss. Dad stays calm and repeats no, you've got such and such toy at home that's similar. Boy shouts that he hates the toy at home. Dad takes boy out of shop.
Then the Mum goes back into the shop and buys it for him! Says to the assistant it's not worth the hassle.
In my opinion, not only has she undermined the father she's taught her son that if he makes enough fuss he gets his own way!
And then when she gives him the toy he doesn't even say thank you! Was so tempted to say something but managed to control myself as I know it's none of my business.
Call me old fashioned but I really don't think this is the way to bring up children!

ProfessorBranestawm Sun 26-Mar-17 13:10:36

YANBU. If I were witnessing that I'd be thinking to myself "you really shouldn't judge" - but I still would 😳

Dementedswan Sun 26-Mar-17 13:12:29

Well yes but it's not for you to judge. Maybe she's having a really bad day and wanted to make life easier for herself.

God knows I've wanted to give in sometimes. People make mistakes.

Dementedswan Sun 26-Mar-17 13:13:31

But then I've just judged there by agreeing with you blushgrin

neonrainbow Sun 26-Mar-17 13:16:24

Yeah id judge that all day long. The mum is a useless parent.

RiversrunWoodville Sun 26-Mar-17 13:17:49

Well I agree with you and wouldn't have given in, also hate it when DH undermines me. Then on the otherhand I hate being judged and just wish people would mind their own business and I am also judging the mother in this case and not minding my own business (even third hand) so just goes to show grin

lavenderandrose Sun 26-Mar-17 13:18:50

What's with the "managed to control myself"? I'm hoping that's an exaggeration. The mum sounds like she had a rubbish parenting moment but honestly there is nothing worse (imo) than busy bodies getting involved.

vaginasuprise Sun 26-Mar-17 13:21:32

Was so tempted to say something but managed to control myself as I know it's none of my business.

You're spot on, it's none of your business wink

EweAreHere Sun 26-Mar-17 13:22:50

Bad parenting.

I wouldn't have said anything to her, but I might have said it to him on the way past ... that he was being undermined as a parent by his wife.

BeaderBird Sun 26-Mar-17 13:23:14

Pathetic and precisely what's wrong with the world.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 26-Mar-17 13:26:47

Obviously a terrible idea to buy the toy, but i can't believe you even considered saying something shock - that would have been a much worse idea!

RoboticSealpup Sun 26-Mar-17 13:27:20

I thought you were going to say you overheard someone swearing at their child, telling them to shut up and smacking them. "Tempted to say something?" You've got to be kidding. What would you have said exactly? I'm sure they already knew what they did wasn't ideal. Do you have children? Never had a weak moment yourself on a stressful day?

AngelThursday Sun 26-Mar-17 13:27:20

Yes lavender "managed to control myself" is an exaggeration as I would never be so presumptuous or busy-bodyish to say anything. I just wondered what other people thought hence my posting on mn

doublesnap Sun 26-Mar-17 13:30:03

I was going to say she is not being a bad parent until she gave it to him, I have occasionally gone back and bought a toy that a child really wanted but have kept it back for a birthday/xmas present.

It's not great but you don't know the back story.

Crumbs1 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:30:51

Not good behaviour management but we're all only human. Children of reasonable parents usually turn out OK ish despite imperfect parenting.

RoboticSealpup Sun 26-Mar-17 13:33:04

Did you really wonder what other people thought? Of course they're going to agree that it wasn't good parenting. Sounds to me like you just want to fuel your self-righteous fire about lax parents. I hope you apply equal amounts of energy to intervening if you ever see some really bag parenting, i.e. a child getting hurt.

Astoria7974 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:33:17

Poor parenting on behalf of the mum definitely but you were right in your initial reaction. None of your business really.

pictish Sun 26-Mar-17 13:33:44

No you're right. On the face of it, it's a bit pathetic isn't it?
If it is as it seems, they will learn soon enough or pay the price. Nothing you can do.

Mia1415 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:36:15

Yes it's terrible parenting however you never know what's going on with people. My DM was seriously ill in hospital recently and I gave in to my DS on several occasions as I couldn't deal with the fallout at that moment. A bad decision occasionally doesn't make someone a terrible parent

Trifleorbust Sun 26-Mar-17 13:36:37

It is shit, yes, but I can't believe you were tempted to say anything! Like what? confused

FiveMinutesAlone Sun 26-Mar-17 13:37:12

I agree it's not great.

I've had to literally carry small DC kicking and screaming out of shops because they've been told they're not getting tempting things before. It's hard and there's definitely a temptation to just say bugger it and buy tempting thing.
It's only the knowledge that they'd be even worse the next time they see a tempting thing that stops me caving in sometimes.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 26-Mar-17 13:44:36

Nothing worse than someone undermining you and getting your tantrumming child the thing they're tantrumming over. I've had this happen - DC have been kicking off (albeit not quite as badly as the child in the OP seems to have been) and I've said no, only for someone else (MIL or DH or even my sister) buy it for them later. angry

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-Mar-17 13:49:51

I have been living abroad for 17 years. I'll be back over the summer with 5yo ds for a holiday. Threads like these judging the shit out of women and 'would you say something' makes me absolutely dread coming back to the UK.

Do people really butt in and have I'M JUDGING YOU looks so obviously slapped across their faces? I think i might just hide out at my dad's for the entire week confused

FiveMinutesAlone Sun 26-Mar-17 13:52:13

IME it's very unusual for people to actually criticise someone else's parenting to their face.

Huskylover1 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:55:20

Well, I judge people all the time. It's human nature, unless you are a plank. If you see shit parenting like this, of course you are going to judge internally.

I was shocked the other day, to see a Dad telling off is child for being naughty, and then I realised that the Dad was spot on, and that it's very rare these days, to actually see parents doing some actual parenting. At most, I see parents telling a child not to do something twice, there's never a third time, just an acceptance that the kids didn't do as told, "oh well"....grrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now