Talk

Advanced search

I don't really feel anything for my mum

(3 Posts)
ticandtoc Sun 26-Mar-17 12:46:17

My mum was an alcoholic when I was growing up. She has been sober for over 20 years and is doing brilliantly now. But during my teens she was always very abusive (while drunk), short-tempered and irritable when not. She used to go missing and we'd have to call the police to try and find her (our dad wasn't around).

In a way, that made me who I am. I am very independent, travelled the world, got a good job etc. And until now I haven't really ever had a problem with my childhood. I understand how people are, it wasn't my mum's fault etc.

However, last year my grandmother died. She used to live with my mum. They had a very very close relationship - I think it was almost unhealthy. My mum was an only child and it always felt like she had a closer relationship with her mum than she did with her kids.

Lately I have started to feel really angry towards my mother. I have two children who she never sees. She doesn't drive and has always used that as an excuse - that and my nan being poorly. But since my nan died she has been on three holidays with her husband - and has never once thought about coming to see us. She looked after my nan while she was poorly so I know that was stressful and I don't begrudge her having a nice time now - but I would have thought she would have included us in her plans.

I think of all the times I've struggled - all the times I've needed help and still need it. But I have had to be the one who makes the effort. Always buying nice presents for her birthday/mother's day - always being the one to visit her, to call her when she was upset. On the anniversary of my Nan's death I was feeling very upset but I made myself call my Mum because I thought she might be having a difficult day. Turns out she was out with my brother and her husband having tea and a lovely day out. (My brother lives closer to her - she moved further away from me - and has no wife or kids so can get to see her more easily).

Now I am just exhausted. Since my Nan died it's all been about how my mum feels about my Nan dying - forget how we (the grandchildren feel) - we have to worry about her and tread on eggshells around her feelings.

Sorry this is sounding like such a whinge - and it surprises me how badly I feel. I just felt really sick reading all the sickly-sweet Mother's Day cards in the shop and desperately tried to find one that wasn't a lie basically.

I just feel guilty that I don't actually feel any real love towards my mum. I love my kids to death and would do anything for them and just can't imagine not wanting to see them.

Anyway - sorry about the rant. I guess I am just trying to understand whether this is normal. Is it me being selfish and spoilt? Should I make more effort?

Thanks

YourHandInMyHand Sun 26-Mar-17 12:58:52

I also search through the cards to find one that doesn't say
world's best mother / amazing mum / thanks for all you've done etc

I've gradually accepted my mum is who she is but I feel soo drained by her when I see her, or sad she isn't the mum my friends have, or at times so so angry with my childhood. I found it particularly hard in my son's early years when I realised how much love I had for him as his mum and made some startingly sad comparisons.

It's hard and you aren't abnormal or unreasonable to feel this way

lavenderandrose Sun 26-Mar-17 13:02:48

I understand every word. I was nodding along. My mum died when I was in my teens and I feel nothing. It's sad but the idea of loving your mum is, to me, remote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now