Talk

Advanced search

Mother's Day

(9 Posts)
wurlycurly Sun 26-Mar-17 11:16:25

My husband is away playing golf this weekend. I don't mind this at all. But as today is Mother's Day I thought he might put something in place for me before he left: bunch of daffodils? Pain au chocolate? Our dd is too young to go and buy anything herself. His argument is "you're not my mother". I'm only mildly irked but AIBU to be irked at all?

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 26-Mar-17 11:20:49

That's not right. It doesn't matter that you're not his mother. He's your husband and as such he should be buying you something ON BEHALF of your daughter, seeing as she's too young to do it herself. My DH got me a personalised card with a picture of my toddler on it and my toddler made some pen marks on the envelope. And a box of chocolates. I was thrilled. That's all it takes - just a small gesture of gratitude for all you do as your daughter's mum.

I'm sorry OP, it makes me sad to hear you didn't get anything. He sounds lazy.

Sunnysky2016 Sun 26-Mar-17 11:27:39

He should be buying on behalf of your daughter. I would be really upset if my dp had not got me anything off the children (he's currently out with the kids as he'd 'forgotten' to buy me a present)

NavyandWhite Sun 26-Mar-17 11:27:45

That's pretty bad. He goes away and then doesn't even bother with Mother's Day. Plan your weekend away soon wink

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Sun 26-Mar-17 11:28:01

You are the Mother of his children therefore, because they are too young he should help them. You should tell him.Ther's no point ruining your day being disappointed.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Sun 26-Mar-17 11:29:27

.. There's no point (stupid auto correct)

Rememberallball Sun 26-Mar-17 11:29:29

At least you've an answer when he asks where his Father's Day stuff from your daughter is "well, I didn't get anything as you're not my father!"

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 26-Mar-17 11:31:11

Without meaning to make you feel bad, my DH is working away and had arranged for flowers and a hamper to be delivered, plus sorted cards from the boys. I think its pretty thoughtless to use 'you're not his mother' as an excuse, it kind of devalues all that you do for your child. flowers for you, hope you have a lovely day regardless.

creamycrackers Sun 26-Mar-17 11:42:36

OP I don't think blokes realise that they have to do mothers day on behalf of their Dc who are too young. I'm not sure about you but I have had to deal with DH's own mothers cards etc since I met him and I have been so tempted to forget quite often but why should my MIL go without?

There has been no such thing as mothers day in our house since eldest was born (almost 12 years ago).I am not one for presents and cards just a simple lie in while someone else took over with the kids would of been perfect and greatly appreciated. DH knows this but if anything is ever mentioned he will say he has no money hmm.

Several years back my eldest asked DH if he would get up with him and help him make me breakfast in bed...DH's answer was "yeah sure, when your mum has made your breakfast and stuff wake me up and she can get back in bed"...he was being deadly serious btw.

Fathers day however is pretty much everyday and we get boo-hoo moments if he has to do for himself. In fact DH is still in bed as I am typing this and won't surface until he hears a visitor or after 12.

I haven't bothered with Fathers day now for a couple of years unless my DC mention it, which is rare. DH actually sits with tears in his eyes when he doesn't have a present because he feels so undervalued confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now