Talk

Advanced search

To want a total ban on 'recreational' hunting?

(42 Posts)
Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:30:58

Especially importing trophies from abroad.
Makes me sick everytime i see some smug bastard smiling with corpses of murdered endangered species.
Sick and perverse.

RNBrie Sun 26-Mar-17 09:33:39

I agree. I also think fishing should be illegal (unless you eat what you catch). Anything that involves hunting, hurting or killing just for fun should be banned.

BrownAjah Sun 26-Mar-17 09:36:23

I would support that. I've never seen the allure of killing anything for pleasure

isupposeitsverynice Sun 26-Mar-17 09:39:21

Don't get me wrong I'm not supporting it, but doesn't it make a lot of money which is ploughed back into conservation? That was the impression I got from admittedly quite Louis Theroux documentary.

isupposeitsverynice Sun 26-Mar-17 09:39:37

Quite ^old documentary

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:42:40

If murdering wildlife was made illegal, there would be less 'big money' needed for conservation.

isupposeitsverynice Sun 26-Mar-17 09:43:32

Well I think it lots of places it already is isn't it, but it doesn't stop poaching does it?

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:54:13

Poaching is already a crime. Enforcing the existing laws is a different issue.

Iamastonished Sun 26-Mar-17 09:56:38

I agree. What is wrong with someone who enjoys killing something? They should be locked up.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 26-Mar-17 10:00:50

Have you watched Brainwashing Stacey: Big Game Hunters on BBC 3?? I was very much of the same opinion as you OP until I watched that.
An American and his son went to a game reserve in South Africa, and paid $10,000 (I think) to hunt a wildebeest. They did. And then it went back to the onsite butcher at the game reserve, and the meat was taken to to local orphanage. The woman running the orphanage said that the meat from one wildebeest would keep all the children in the orphanage fed for a week, and if rich foreigners didn't hunt at the reserve, the children would be hungry, surviving on bare essential food.
I cannot see how feeding hungry children can be a bad thing - even if it is a by-product of rich foreigners getting their kicks.

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:09:41

Yeah, i would expect them to have a feel-good sob story. Went to feed the hungry. Bloody heroes!
BTW? Do they actually eat lions and other big cats?

BarbarianMum Sun 26-Mar-17 10:14:15

When it comes to the large predators at least, the idea that big game hunting "supports conservation" is a myth. The cost of managing habitat to sustainably support something like lion is estimated at $500, 000 per animal. The price paid by big game hunters for bagging one is about $50,000.

kali110 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:20:42

Yanbu. Seeing people posing with their 'trophy' is fucking sick angry

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 26-Mar-17 10:33:16

At the particular reserve in the documentary, the owner was saying that he encounters a very small number of people who want to kill lions/big cats/elephants etc. Majority of them shoot antelope/wildebeest/wild boar. I'm not a fan of hunting for sport, but in this case, the animals were being eaten. So even if someone has paid to hunt that animal, I can't get upset about it.

corythatwas Sun 26-Mar-17 10:42:38

Where do you draw the line though? In Scandinavia, most of the elk hunting is recreational in the sense that it is done by non-professionals, but if it didn't happen, there would be an ecological disaster. And people most certainly eat what they catch. Same with recreational fishing in northern Europe: all gets eaten.

Absolutely agree about big game hunting though, and any kind of trophy hunting.

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:54:04

Where i would draw the line? Anything to do with sport, trophy, or a fucking tradition (can't get more perverse than that)

Shadowboy Sun 26-Mar-17 10:58:27

But then it's tricky railgunner as some areas have no apex predators so need to be culled. People don't like culling (believe me I live where wild bore live and their numbers are getting too substantial) so some areas allow hunting in order to cap animal numbers.

Also, in regards to the line how would one prove the intention of the kill? Ie for habitat maintenance or for pleasure?

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 11:00:26

Let me guess, predators have been exterminated already in those areas? Wolf, bear, lynx -- driven into extinction in many areas

kali110 Sun 26-Mar-17 11:29:57

Maybe at the sick fuckers who like posing with their kill? envy

Iamastonished Sun 26-Mar-17 11:42:50

Hunting for food is different though. Hunting for trophies is immoral, unethical and sick.

LoupGarou Sun 26-Mar-17 11:54:37

There are an awful lot of unpleasant things which go on in the world, I would guess animal testing (for example) kills a lot more animals each year than hunting. You are never going to be able to stop hunting, hunters will just do it illegally if its banned and then comes a whole raft of trouble and the animals suffer more. Far better to legalise and regulate

Big predators are eaten after being killed, certainly where we live. It isn't as simple as being a black and white issue, living where we live (any have lived previously) has given me a lot more understanding of it.

Railgunner1 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:50:39

You also can't stop all the paedophiles who go to the third world countries. But at least society understands that it is vile and criminal, not saying its better to legalize child prostitution because they at least leave some money.

MarsInScorpio Sun 26-Mar-17 14:11:49

You need to define recreational OP.

I like knowing that my food was killed ethically (quickly) and that the animal lived a good life before being cooked. I don't enjoy killing animals but I enjoy the other aspects of a hunt.

I have killed a wild boar. I wouldn't want to kill anything larger. It says something about me and my illogical morals but I'd see it as worse somehow and closer to murder. At the same time, if elephants were or giraffes were plentiful and one was humanely killed then I'd happily chop down on a burger or sausage. I'mm just not sure I could take the shot.

I would never kill for fun. I have shot badgers without the intention of eating them but again, that wasn't for fun.

Of course I would not kill an animal that a) didn't need to be controlled b) wasn't good for eating

The perfect combination is when an animal's population does need to be controlled and is delicious. Rabbit anyone?

NotCitrus Sun 26-Mar-17 15:44:04

My family still hunt for meat. The rule growing up is you only hunt for food or vermin. Culling to keep a population healthy and under control, like venison, is win:win.

Mmm, venison shepherds pie...

toolonglurking Sun 26-Mar-17 16:00:42

What about those of us who hunt to eat? I've eaten everything I've ever shot, and honestly I don't thing it's anyone's business but mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now