Talk

Advanced search

AIBU.. What do I charge?

(4 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Sat 25-Mar-17 11:53:52

I've been asked to be an afterschool nanny to two girls. Between 2-5 days a week for 3 hours a day.

- I have 8 years experience working with children
- Have a level 3 diploma in child care, learning and development
- First aid trained
- I'm studying education in university

I'm based in North-East Wales. What do you think would be a fair amount to ask for?

AIBU to ask for £10 p/h gross?

milliemolliemou Sat 25-Mar-17 12:33:47

No, but be prepared to point out what you're offering - flexibility over 2-5 days a week, first aid training, childcare experience and a diploma in CLD. Have you asked around about charges? spoken to your tutors about going rates? over and above child-minding?

Are you having to use a car to collect the children? Expenses to get there and back and the time it takes you to get to collect them? If you only did the 2 days, you'd be earning £2400 pa - the full five days £6000 or so if it's just term time. No tax but NIC.

I'd also research nanny contracts so you know the pitfalls. And have a serious talk with your future employer.

MarsInScorpio Sat 25-Mar-17 15:36:33

I think that £10 sounds about right. The best thing to do is look for similar pricing in the area.

I think that your qualifications will count for little. They're after a p/t nanny not a tutor so are unlikely to want to pay for 'extras' they won't benefit from.

nannynick Sat 25-Mar-17 15:47:44

There are very few nannies in North Wales so very hard to know what would be reasonable.

I would look at what other childcare options cost in the area, see if you can find something to compare with, then add a bit more to it as you would be providing 1:2 care ratio and other providers may not be doing so.

Agreeing gross is a fantastic idea, as then the parents can calculate what it will cost them over a year.

Keep in mind that you get paid holiday. For a term-time only worker, this is usually done as 12.07% of working time, with the constraint that you cannot take holiday during term-time. The holiday is taken at the end of each term, or spread out over monthly payments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now