Talk

Advanced search

To not get the big deal with sharpies

(22 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Fri 24-Mar-17 17:21:20

So dd comes home from school requesting sharpies. Only sharpies will do apparently. So being the lovely mother that i am i trot off to tesco to pick up a set.

Find them.in the "clearance "aisle, £22 shockhmm <Hyperventilates> Leaves them there and manage to find a set for £8 on amazon.

Everyone at work now refers to FELT TIP PENS as Sharpies hmm

They are felt.tip.pens!! £22 ffs

Schmoozer Fri 24-Mar-17 17:22:44

Permanent ink 😮

Laiste Fri 24-Mar-17 17:24:10

grin OP

Does anyone remember those green ribbed 'Pentel' pens from the 80s? I can remember telling my mum i had to have pental pens for school or i'd be the only one in class without one.

Neolara Fri 24-Mar-17 17:24:17

Um, hate to break it to you, but they aren't just felt tip pens. They are the-pens-that-never-rub-off. So great for labelling stuff, nightmare if they are accidentally coloured onto your furniture (she says with feeling.....)

toffee1000 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:25:13

It's just a brand name for permanent markers. Why did she want Sharpies in particular? I wouldn't use them for just normal colouring in. I'd think of a Sharpie as something to use for making a poster or signing an autograph (not famous, just that's what I associate them with).

Etak15 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:25:50

It's Poundland felt tips all the way here - they get left with the lid off and all over the place! Also think sharpies are permanent markers are they? Sounds scary! We try to stay away from these rip of crazes like - jo jo bows And that expensive stationary shop who's name I can't think of!!

Yeah they aren't just felt pens and they aren't great for using on paper because they dark through. They are permanent markers watch what she uses them on. My dc are obsessed with them as well but there are strict rules on what they are allowed to draw on and where they use them.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 24-Mar-17 17:51:29

What are jojo bows ? and smiggle is the shop i think you mean--we got mugged by those fuckers too--

QueenOfTheCatBastards Fri 24-Mar-17 17:55:09

You can get sharpies for about £9!in WHSmiths, but as other folks have said they're not really for big standard colouring sessions. Avoid at all costs if you like your home decor and don't want to have to redo it all.

Astro55 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:55:30

Sharpies are banned in some schools as the leak in to tables through the paper

The bows are giant bows - sometimes sparkly

SquinkiesRule Fri 24-Mar-17 18:10:11

Love my sharpies.
I use them for laundry marking (as they used to to labeled)
I also managed to make a halloween costume using a pack of coloured sharpies and a school shirt and some tin foil for Dd, she got first prize.

Oldraver Fri 24-Mar-17 18:11:55

Aldi do own brand Sharpies...

MongerTruffle Fri 24-Mar-17 18:15:37

They're not just felt tips. They are genuinely permanent markers, so they are better for labelling CDs/DVDs than colouring in. They also smell awful.

Witchend Fri 24-Mar-17 18:32:40

And Ryman's have them as a restricted item. I witnessed a child being refused buying them and they had to fill out this official form. I think they're not for under 16s.

AverysillyoldHector Fri 24-Mar-17 20:40:48

On the subject of pens, does anyone else remember ink eradicator? It was an astonishing piece of magic: two bottles of fluid that, used one after the other, would eradicate your calligraphic cock-ups and the lines on the page and sometimes the paper too

JellyWitch Fri 24-Mar-17 20:42:43

They are permanent and not something my kids are going to be allowed to play with! I have a couple kept out of reach for labelling and thats all.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Fri 24-Mar-17 20:43:55

It's bloody good marketing innit.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 24-Mar-17 20:48:56

I love the smell.... I haven't sniffed my sharpies for ages.

I sort of had to give up on the "colouring for relaxation fad" as I am very short sighted, so remove my specs to do anything detailed which put me very very close to all the sharpie fumes!

<inhales and holds breath for a few seconds> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DJBaggySmalls Fri 24-Mar-17 20:50:12

Pound shop, OP. I got a packet of 2 genuine branded for a pound and a packet of coloured generic ones.

Twinchaos1 Fri 24-Mar-17 20:54:55

Sharpies mark forever! But they are less overpriced than Smiggle, A current pet peeve of mine. Not that my kids would agree.

steff13 Fri 24-Mar-17 20:57:37

I love to sniff Sharpies! How big was the pack?

QueenBeet Fri 24-Mar-17 21:23:43

I use Sharpies for colouring in ! Though they do go through the page a bit. I only ever get them from WHSmith and Amazon, as they're always half price. Ryman sell them for good prices too, sometimes. However, I also have a set of 50 kids' felt tips (that clip together) and they were cheaper, don't bleed and have far more colours. It's just that Sharpies are really deep coloured and rich. I have no white furniture in my house, and no kids - YMMV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now