Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think...

(13 Posts)
FooFighter99 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:30:39

That if you're cold, you can put a cardigan or jacket on?

I share an office with 4 other ladies, I'm the youngest/newest member of the team but not at the bottom of the pecking order (not sure if that's relevant or not but hey ho).

I am notoriously warm blooded. I do not feel the cold and I never wear a coat, even in the depths of winter (they all joke that there's something wrong with me).

Every office I've worked in, I've either had to have the air-con on or the window open as I start to feel very sickly if its too warm. It also really affects my sinuses so I get headaches and can't breath properly. Also, I work in the NHS and they seem to have the heating on all the bloody time, so it's ridiculously warm.

Now, I am a big girl and I get it that people smaller than me feel the cold more than I do. But is it unreasonable to expect that if my colleagues are cold, and constantly moaning about how cold they are and "is there a breeze, is the window open, I'm chilly" then they should be prepared and bring a cardigan to work with them.

I can't wear less clothes. I can't wear strappy tops and short skirts as it would be highly inappropriate (not to mention unsightly due to my massive girth).

I'm getting rather fed up of the comments about me having my window open (it's only open an inch or two) or my desk fan on (which is one of those little usb ones).

Surely it's easier for them to get warm than it is for me to cool down? They can put a layer on, I can't strip off..... (and before anyone says anything, I am actively trying to lose weight, but it's a very slow process).

I have actually said words to this effect multiple times, but I seem to just get ignored and they carry on complaining about how cold they are (the sun is cracking the flags outside btw so maybe there's something wrong with them!!)

AIBU?

Witchend Fri 24-Mar-17 15:33:30

Well if there's 3 people feeling cold and you're hot then I think you have to lump it really.

HunterHearstHelmsley Fri 24-Mar-17 15:33:34

YABU. I feel the cold and have sat in the office with two cardigans and a coat on, which is ridiculous. Air con dries my eyes out, we can't really open windows due to traffic noise.

Luckily I'm the only person who knows the code for the air con so it can't be put on at ridiculous levels. I was having to go home when it kept been put on 18.

Littledidsheknow Fri 24-Mar-17 15:34:09

YANBU.

DH has our house heated to a ridiculous level. I hate it. I'm always turning it down.
I don't want to be half naked in the house in winter!

SquinkiesRule Fri 24-Mar-17 15:43:56

I'd get a desk fan and a spray bottle with water in.

Ampersand22 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:44:11

You are neither being reasonable or unreasonable. However you have said yourself that your tolerance of cold is a bit out of the ordinary, so why do you think they are the unreasonable ones? It would do my head in to be cold all day, and have been in similar situations, even with a jumper on and thermals.

As in your case they were all carrying more body fat than me, but of course it would have been unreasonable for me to tell them to lose a bit of weight so they didn't overheat all the time, but that's what I was thinking as I was shivering and wishing them dead. smile

Canyouseethis Fri 24-Mar-17 15:46:21

I had this (was heavily pregnant as opposed to fat - although I am fat now!!) but I was out numbered so had to get on with it. Even though it made me feel bloody ill.

witsender Fri 24-Mar-17 15:47:01

Both tbh. You don't get to set the temp for the office, especially if you are only 1 of 4. But they should take reasonable measures to keep warm too, a jumper or whatever. It is just as miserable being cold as it is hot.

FooFighter99 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:48:18

Exactly Little my DH is the same about me having the bedroom window open. He doesn't seem to understand that being too hot makes me feel ill!

I do feel for you Hunter but it is definitely not cold in this office even if my window is open, they're just being nesh... smile

Witchend I'm not the only one who's too hot, but there's one colleague in particular who is always moaning that she's cold. I think it would be reasonable for her to put another layer on rather than make me suffer by being too warm.

RB68 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:44

The answer is there is always one - you should agree a reasonable temperature (My house its around 18.5 but then I think most people say 22) and the aircon stays at that with no open windows as this screws with the aircon/heating system. But you get a desk fan. Sit nesh person in warmest corner and provide lap rug.

FooFighter99 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:05:56

We don't have air-con in this building, the heating is on and we have massive old radiators, I turn mine off but the pipes are still hot. The other 2 radiators are on so it makes the room very very warm.

Plus it's really sunny outside today which adds to the heat in the room.

I know I have to just get on with it.

NotRumpole Fri 24-Mar-17 16:09:44

22 RB ! I would die in that heat...far too warm and dreadful for the environment it's 19 max here!

olderthanyouthink Fri 24-Mar-17 18:19:29

YABU it's miserable being cold even with a jumper on or jacket and wearing a coat doesn't really work.

You need to cool yourself down and have the room at a reasonable temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now