Talk

Advanced search

to not want to go to this party?

(52 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 24-Mar-17 15:05:31

A friend of mine and dh's has a significant birthday coming up and is celebrating with a party at home.

I would describe him and his wife as good friends, but not our dearest or closest. We have been friends for over 20 years (met initially through work) but only see each other once a year or less because we live quite a distance apart. When we do meet up it is great fun, we usually go out for a meal somewhere nice equidistant from our houses. Apart from that we don't particularly keep in touch other than Christmas cards and the odd text or email. However, we like them both very much.

So ... the journey to this party is 1.5 hours drive (at least) or a bus, tube and train ride away which would take the same sort of time. We will know at the very most one other couple at this party (if they go - and we last saw them 10 years ago), I might know a few other work colleagues vaguely.

Tell me honestly ... would you want to go?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:07:27

They are your friends. What other reason do you need to go?

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Mar-17 15:07:41

No I wouldn't TBH. Would it involve an overnight stay as well?

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 24-Mar-17 15:14:17

No, we're not going to stay anywhere overnight. We don't want to leave our teens at home alone all night. We'd have to leave by 11pm to get the last train, and then there will be a taxi fare of about £30-£40 to get us home after that.

Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 24-Mar-17 15:14:23

Well it might not be the best night ever but they're not throwing the party for your benefit are they? Enduring a slightly annoying journey and small talk with people you don't know for the sake of your friend is part of what being a friend is about, surely?

ExConstance Fri 24-Mar-17 15:17:42

I'd go if I could stay over in a nice hotel nearby, but not if there was a long train and expensive taxi needed for the journey home. Could you make excuses for the party and meet them for a nice lunch out on another day?

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Mar-17 15:20:50

How upset would they be if you didn't go do you think? It's a lot of travelling and money.

YY to suggesting a meal out at a later date maybe half way between you?

Hillarious Fri 24-Mar-17 15:22:44

Teens have to be left at some point.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 24-Mar-17 15:30:16

Mine don't yet, thanks Hillarious. My 13 year old would not want us to stay out overnight.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 24-Mar-17 15:32:02

No, I wouldn't go. I hate being at parties where I know no-one. Yes I can simulate interest in total strangers (and sometimes even feel interest!) and appear to others to be having a nice time, but at the end of the party I am relieved to be leaving.

Pumpkinnose Fri 24-Mar-17 15:32:48

I live in London - 1.5 hour journey is really not that big a deal, especially if you don't have to drive. Why wouldn't you make the effort for a significant birthday?

OlennasWimple Fri 24-Mar-17 15:40:53

Sounds like the sort of party that I would be thinking of excuses to get out of on the day, but would go and end up having a great time and be glad I made the effort. I'm sure your friends would appreciate it too

Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 24-Mar-17 15:43:26

Yeah I'm London based too and would never go anywhere if I didn't suck up long, inconvenient or expensive journeys. 1.5hrs to a house party on the wrong side of London is pretty standard. I've been to many parties with very few people I know where I've had to stay sober to drive home. Not the greatest nights out ever but that's life.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Fri 24-Mar-17 15:46:17

If you invited them to a party and they couldn't be bothered because of the journey, how would you feel?

You know them and yourselves, so if it sits ok then up to you I guess.

I would just go and leave a bit early. 10pm or so.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Mar-17 15:49:30

I wouldn't do it unless I stayed in that town overnight. It's not much of a party when you've got an expensive long journey at the end of it.

expatinscotland Fri 24-Mar-17 15:52:54

I'd go for an overnight but not otherwise.

BorpBorpBorp Fri 24-Mar-17 15:57:10

No, I wouldn't bother.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 24-Mar-17 15:59:31

this is why London can be FUCKING SHIT

if they were 30 mins away it would be a non issue

Yanbu to feel this way!

ageingrunner Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:03

It'd have to be a very good party for me to be bothered with that amount of traveling tbh

Sciurus83 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:18

1.5 hours is not a long journey for a big birthday party. If you don't want to go because you aren't particularly good friends that's fine though.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:45

I would go for a good friend which is what you describe them as

ExitPursuedByUser54321 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:15:50

I would but only if I stayed over night.

Is there someone who could stay with your teenagers?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:17:29

I'd go. Why aren't you driving?

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 24-Mar-17 16:20:57

We haven't decided against driving.

Ihatethedailymail1 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:28:02

You sound great friends.... Not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now