Talk

Advanced search

grandaughter at life' crossroads

(2 Posts)
heardittoday Fri 24-Mar-17 13:13:34

today is the first day I am trying to support my dear 25 yr granddaughter to escape the poverty trip she is in though absolutely no fault of her own.

*abandoned by her mother emotionally and physically.

*grew up in a culture of drugs, alcohol and violence from the mothers various partners.

*lost education through mother taking her cleaning and taking in ironing throughout her childhood.

* eventually driven out at 13 to "stay with friends!

* needless to say this was a young person who fell into the cracks.

*many times we tried to provide her with a stable home, but each time the schools and arrangements were finalised, the granddaughter said she wanted "to stay with her mother"

* it was only as an adult that we were told that the mother had said if granddaughter came to live with us, the police would arrest us and we would be imprisoned!

* But fast forward to today and my question.
After rebuilding her life from the gutter, literally, our granddaughter is a kind, caring and loving adult.

She has chosen not to have children until she is able to be financially independent and in a stable relationship.
* she has worked continually as a carer always just about making ends meet.
* she desperately wants to train as a healthcare professional but even with grants etc, it doesn't appear to be viable.

I am seriously ill myself with cancer , but am researching any possibility that adequate funding can be found?
any ideas anyone?

hangingkebab Fri 24-Mar-17 13:15:32

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice regarding training, but didn't want to read and run.
You both sound like amazing women and I wish you the very best flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now