Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this winter is particularly long and depressing

(53 Posts)
cheesyinkent Fri 24-Mar-17 11:03:50

Heating on here, as it has been everyday for the last 5 months. Usually in march it's only oh half of the time.

Georgian 3 three storey detached house so it never actually gets warm. I'm worried about the bill..

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Fri 24-Mar-17 11:05:22

Yep. Wanted to cry this morning as I endured yet another bitterly cold and windy walk with the dog.

Happyandhungry Fri 24-Mar-17 11:06:53

13 degrees here sunny and dry. Cup half full in this part of the world!

Oldraver Fri 24-Mar-17 11:07:05

I thought the opposite, its been quite mild and has flown past.

I was told that there was frost on the car yesterday at 6am

The80sweregreat Fri 24-Mar-17 11:07:46

It seems to have dragged on and today is cold ( in the south east)
however, last year was the same until about july time when it got really really hot and a few days in august were unbearable. i put something on fb about being too hot and was shot down in flames for moaning, but i hate that oppressive heat that we get on occasions.
cant win in the Uk when it comes to the weather i;m afraid.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:07:47

Supposed to be hotting up here at the weekend. Looking forward to some sun now.

n0ne Fri 24-Mar-17 11:10:06

Spring is definitely springing in my part of the world! Yes, there's a stiff, cold breeze and it gets bladdy cold at night, but I'm sitting here soaking up some glorious sunshine right now.

ShowOfHands Fri 24-Mar-17 11:12:55

I was thinking today how mild it's been this winter. It's clear skies and spring sunshine here and has been for a few weeks. My heating has been off for a fortnight.

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 24-Mar-17 11:18:57

Gorgeous up in the Lakes today - 13 degrees and sunny!

Sample1936 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:19:46

I love it. Hate warm sunny weather

Goldfishjane Fri 24-Mar-17 11:20:05

Yes I feel this too and we haven't even had the dreaded snow or biting cold we had about ten years ago. I have really bad SAD and always remember how bad I found a winter.

There's been a lot of general ick with high winds and rain lately too. I am looking forward to the clock change though.

I did wonder if some personal problems and the election of Dump have been making things seem worse. I normally work out five days a week but December was so bad I dropped it completely. Things do usually get better after Xmas which I hate....but tis year there's a lot of blur. Binge watching TV has been my saviour. Now I want to go for a walk when I get in from work which should be possible by May I think.

LindyHemming Fri 24-Mar-17 11:23:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CaoNiMartacus Fri 24-Mar-17 11:25:16

I was just thinking this today! Still effing freezing where I am. At least the days are drawing out.

Bluntness100 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:30:11

I agree with you. For some reason this year it's really dragged. I don't think I have ever looked forward to spring and summer so much.

We are lucky as we have a really big garden and it's so lovely in the summer. From just sitting outside having a coffee, walking round it looking at flowers or sitting late in the evening after having dinner outside and drinking wine.

In the winter the house is cold, you can't stay outside for long, and everything is a bit drab. I've had enough of it.,!

cheesyinkent Fri 24-Mar-17 11:31:21

Wow where are you that sunny?

The sunny days in the SE keeps being forecasted but never comes. Cloudy all day then the sun set and clear sky's so v cold at night. Just a bit of sun would be nice

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Fri 24-Mar-17 11:47:26

Roll on retirement to Spain!
Can't even dream about that any more, unfortunately. Stuck in the cold and rain in perpetuity, thanks to Brexit 🌧

ElisavetaFartsonira Fri 24-Mar-17 11:56:12

I feel we've barely had a winter. Has it even gone below zero during the day at all?

AlPacinosHooHaa Fri 24-Mar-17 12:16:14

YES. sad it hasnt been very cold for us - or very wet, but with small dc - we are limited where we can go and what to do - house is small.

Xbox has been our Savior this year actually! I cant wait for sun, may ban all tech until winter !

Oh no Lord how come you cant retire abroad? I am sure many relatives managed too well before the union...

user1471545174 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:40:06

Spain will still be glad of retirees' money, LRBC smile

n0ne Fri 24-Mar-17 13:05:51

cheesyinkent the Netherlands. Usually the same weather as the UK, give or take

IrregularCommentary Fri 24-Mar-17 13:11:28

Sunny day here too (midlands). Cold, but nice cold and the heating isn't on.

Wedding anniversary today and I remember people not being able to make it 4yrs ago because of heavy snow!

mollyminniemo Fri 24-Mar-17 13:11:34

I've never been as ill as over this winter, had sinusitis/colds/blocked nose/blocked ear/cough/bruised ribs from coughing for pretty much 3 months constantly. Seriously depressing. Its only gone in past week. Usually I get 1 brief cold that might last half a week. I know so many other people with the same over the past winter, so odd.

Screamer1 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:38:46

Was thinking exactly same this morning. So bleak, but then thought actually pre Christmas is never tooo bad. It's just January onwards which makes it seem endless.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 24-Mar-17 13:42:46

I was saying the same as I shivered on the playground this morning! The sun is out here now but it's still cold...feels more like winter sun than spring.

Goldfishjane Fri 24-Mar-17 13:45:29

Ekisaveta, yes mum keeps telling me that it's not been cold. I'm grateful for that as I am always worse with SAD when it's cold, also colds and asthma less of an issue in a mild winter. Ive still found it very long. I hope this isn't a sign of SAD getting worse as i get older.

I have had retired people tell me it gets better when you dint have to drag yourself to work. Then again, everything is better in that case grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now