Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is my friend?

(10 Posts)
starzinmyeyez Thu 23-Mar-17 21:02:35

My friend and I have lived together for several years and have shared a dog between us for three. We share the dog care between us. Friend has announced earlier that she has got a job in the next city which means that she will not be around to walk the dog between 7am and 8pm. Up until now, we have both shared the three dog walks a day by juggling our job start/end and lunch times (which has never been a problem).

AIBU to feel annoyed that now I’ll have to start contributing to paying for a dog walker and do more walking myself with no discussion that things were going to change? I wouldn't have applied for a similar job myself because I know I have responsibility for the dog.

AtrociousCircumstance Thu 23-Mar-17 21:04:51

You don't have to contribute to the dog walker if it is to cover her walks, I guess?

Lazyafternoon Thu 23-Mar-17 21:07:26

I'd agree. She pays for the dog walker to cover her walks. Not your problem.

starzinmyeyez Thu 23-Mar-17 21:22:56

I'm expected to pay half at the moment because we split all dog costs. Even if I get her to pay the lot, it'll mean me doing the morning and evening walk and then dog walker does it at lunch time. Basically, she'll be doing nothing dog-wise until the weekend and I'll have to revolve my working hours around that.

I'm having a bad day anyway so I think I might be over-reacting. It's just pissed me off.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 21:46:03

She will have to pay to cover the walks she should be doing so if you split the walks 50/50 she'll have to pay the dog walker to do morning, lunch and evening walks that she would have done had she not changed jobs.

Yukbuck Thu 23-Mar-17 21:58:33

Why can't she walk the dog in the morning or the evening? Many people leave at 7 and still walk their dog first. And 8pm a quick walk?

starzinmyeyez Thu 23-Mar-17 22:13:02

She takes forever to get ready in the morning and it would mean her getting up at 0430am or something ridiculous. I've known her for years and she can't get her morning routine down any more even though we've tried. She'd only end up waking me up with the shower/ hairdryer so I may as well take him in the morning. It would also seem surly to not do so when I am close to my workplace.

8pm would be her getting back. Would still need to eat, wind down etc. Again, it would seem horrible of me to have been home since 5ish and wait for her/ dog walker to walk him.

AtrociousCircumstance Sat 25-Mar-17 15:58:23

Well yes, it would seem a little churlish - but only if you discount the need for fairness.

She's your friend, not your child or partner. Things need to be scrupulously fair. So she needs to cover exactly half of the dog walks.

HecateAntaia Sat 25-Mar-17 16:03:24

i would say i will continue doing my half. you must outsource as much of your half as you can no longer do.

so if she cant walk the dog - she pays the entire cost of all walks she can no longer do.

otherwise you are doing your 50% plus paying 50% of the portion of her 50% that she can no longer do!!!

how is that fair?

19lottie82 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:28:21

I agree. You covering 50% of the costs means that she does 50% of the walks. If she can't then she pays for the dog walker to cover her share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now