Talk

Advanced search

To tell mum sister is lying

(15 Posts)
TheQueenOfItAll Thu 23-Mar-17 19:10:05

As the title says, my sister is 30 years old and has a form for lying and ducking and diving when it comes to work.

My mum is a professional holiday-er wink and rents the upstairs of the house to our mum. This is fine, I live separately, so I don't really care.

However, my mum has given my sister and ultimatum - get a job (any job), help pay some bills or rent somewhere else. My mum has been a hard worker her whole life so it pisses her off to see my sister doss about on Instagram all day.

Anyway, my sister said she had a job before my mum went off on her "big" holiday (6 months). She lied and said that her "checks" were being slowed down for this or that reason and she couldn't start before my mum left.

Anyway, mum is back now and sister is suddenly able to take a million days off and work from home. I gave her the benefit of the doubt as I work from home quite a bit if it's a slow period at work.

Now here's the kicker. Last week, sister emails us a leaflet she made for her work whilst she was working from home. Knowing sister has a form, I reverse Googled and lo and behold, the brochure and other materials "she" made is all there.

My mum sent an email back singing her praises and how beautiful the stupid brochure is blablabla.

Anyway, should I tell mum that sister is up to old tricks and doesn't actually have a job?

Goondoit Thu 23-Mar-17 19:14:03

It's not impacting your mum if your sister works or not is that right? She'd be as financially well off as she is now even if sister didn't live there so the work thing is purely because your mum thinks your sister should work.
If your mum was skint and needed your sister to contribute to the house then I'd say tell her because she may be getting herself into debt using credit thinking your sis will pay back soon.
If she isn't relying on your sisters contribution what do you have to gain from telling your mum? Surely she will work it our eventually. .wouldn't it just be easier to say to your sis "I know your not working sort it out and tell mum..." then the ball is in her court
I don't really see how it's any of your business

Haffdonga Thu 23-Mar-17 19:15:40

Wont it quickly come clear when she doesn't cough up the rent?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:17:12

She is taking the piss put of dm though. . Singing praises she isn't worthy of would rage me!!
Dm deserves the truth. .

Birdsgottaf1y Thu 23-Mar-17 19:18:22

I'd keep out of it and let them sort it out.

Do you really need to be dragged into the drama?

TheQueenOfItAll Thu 23-Mar-17 19:21:26

Sister has a boyfriend who is more than willing to foot the rent bill, so that's no problem in terms of my mum being short-changed.

And yes wish that's what pisses me off! My mum has done so much for her and all my mum wants is for her to stand on her own two feet and she's lying to her!!

It's no skin off my nose that she's lying- it's my mum I'm annoyed for.

Haffdonga Thu 23-Mar-17 19:22:06

Just because the leaflet is on the internet doesn't mean it wasn't your sister who designed it.

Could you act innocent and email them both - Hey look what I found on the internet! Dsis how come your leaflet is on freeleaflets.com? Is that who you work for now?

drquin Thu 23-Mar-17 19:22:45

What about emailing back to mum & sister the link you found on Google for the leaflet she "created", with a wonderfully passive-aggressive "ooh I didn't know you were working for {insert name of leaflet organisation}. They do great stuff / are very successful / big in X industry. Will you get to travel to their Head Office in New York / Rome / Slough?"

caffeinequick Thu 23-Mar-17 19:25:53

I'd stay well out of it, as long as your mum isn't out of pocket I'd let them sort it out x

khajiit13 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:28:01

I talk to my mum everyday. No way could I not mention something like this, I hate keeping stuff from her.

Specialagentblond Thu 23-Mar-17 19:33:13

In this situation, I don't think you would come out too well of you told your mother. She will figure it out at some point if your sister is lying, but imagine how you would be perceived if you were wrong. You may come across as point scoring against your sister.

It may be worth having a word with your sister, and if she hasn't got a job then tell her it's plain out of order to lie to your mum while living under her roof and tell her to fess up.

Serialweightwatcher Thu 23-Mar-17 19:42:09

I'd tell her that she's lying, but I'd ask her to do her own googling/snooping and not land you in it considering your're stuck with dsis in her absence. Hate liars! hmm

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 23-Mar-17 19:52:36

I couldn't let someone take the proverbial, out of my Mother.
I would speak to your Sister, tell her what you know, and that she has put you in an uncomfortable place.
Tell her to sort it out, your DM is worth more than a pack of lies, if she won't, you will.
Hopefully, in her own way, she will.

Toobloodytired Thu 23-Mar-17 19:56:52

I'm childish so if my sister or brother was lying to my mum I'd tell her, simply because I'd feel like I was lying to her too!

I tell me mum EVERYTHING so that wouldn't be missed

Jux Thu 23-Mar-17 20:00:22

I'd tell my mum the truth, couldn't stand with her being taken advantage of and lied to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now