Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Bank replacing my name with DH's

(20 Posts)
Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 23-Mar-17 16:58:27

AIBU to think that if I take out a travel insurance policy with Sainsbury's bank for the family with my money and put my details as main policy-holder and use my email address then they should not be sending subsequent emails to me addressed to DH. It's not 1952 and I am bloody fed up of this sexist shit.

Scribblegirl Thu 23-Mar-17 16:59:12

I am so with you. TSB did this on our mortgage despite me being Buyer 1 on the form we filled in. Drives me mad.

Elfieselfie Thu 23-Mar-17 17:11:57

I stayed in a hotel last weekend with my fella and had this! I booked the room, paid on my card, had my email address on the booking and booked it in my name as lead guest and him as second guest.

Upon check in, no knowledge of booking. Took 40 mins for them to discover a room had been booked using my first name and his surname. No apologies. I was not impressed.

Also sick and tired of the kids school referring to me by their fathers surname. We were never married, we split up years ago and both of our names are on all correspondence.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 23-Mar-17 17:16:11

DH thinks it's trivial and not worth making a fuss over. Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:17:22

Next time put his first name and your surname!!

Scribblegirl Thu 23-Mar-17 17:20:36

DP thinks it's trivial too. He is in no way a misogynist but I think he doesn't see this as a battle to win.

glitterglitters Thu 23-Mar-17 17:22:55

Oooh or what about when you go for a meal and they automatically give the bill to dh when your purse is on the table. Oh hi, I can pay for dinner sometimes too you know!

Having said that dh looked utterly confused on our first date when I offered to buy the second drink. Apparently in his 23 years, 6 of which dating, no woman had ever ever offered this!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 23-Mar-17 17:25:27

Wow that's quite shocking glitter I could never let someone I met for a date pay for all the drinks! It's just bad manners.

n0ne Thu 23-Mar-17 17:27:51

DH always gestures the waiter to my glass to taste the wine in a restaurant as they always assume the man will do it (and he thinks I have a better nose). I luffs my DH grin

glitterglitters Thu 23-Mar-17 17:29:31

I know I was really surprised when he told me. My dm always told me to make sure I returned the favour with drinks, meals etc so that way men "didn't expect anything" πŸ˜‚ (she was born in the 40s bless her). Apparently some girl he took to dinner once ordered fillet steak and champagne (when he was an apprentice) proceeded to talk about how much she missed her ex and how much better looking her ex was so he pretended to go to the loo and just legged it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I cannot say I blame him one bitπŸ˜†

glitterglitters Thu 23-Mar-17 17:30:50

Awwwhe sounds lovely @n0ne smile

moonlight1705 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:31:04

Nearly as bad as when you take you car into the garage for work to be done and they look at your non-driving clueless DP for details whilst I am standing there. He's brill though and points and says 'car with wheelie things, no workie'

MumW Thu 23-Mar-17 17:31:32

No, annoys me too.
This time last year, we stayed at a hotel to visit DD at Uni.
In November, I booked same hotel for just me, no mention of DH, single occupancy. When I arrived, all documentation in OH's name.confusedangry

thecapitalsunited Thu 23-Mar-17 17:35:40

Other way round for me. My DH was most put out to find that our joint account is labelled by the bank as Mrs Capital not Mr and Mrs Capital as it was originally my sole current account and I converted it to a joint one. He wanted to phone them and make them change it. Felt like pointing out that my name is quite frequently airbrushed out so it was nice to see him disappearing for a change.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 23-Mar-17 17:37:39

Yes my DH really truly isn't sexist, I wouldn't be with him if he was, it's just that I don't think he gets it because it doesn't continually happen to him. To be fair I've noticed that places like pizza express are much better at saying 'who wants the bill?' these days.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 23-Mar-17 17:38:32

thecapital grin

MumW Thu 23-Mar-17 17:39:41

Moonlight, it can be fun, though, when you let them assume you are just a dumb girl and they think they can pull the wool over your eyes. Suddenly, you flip into efficient business women mode and it completely throws them and you get a good deal! wink

MarklahMarklah Thu 23-Mar-17 17:42:12

Annoys me too. I have Marklah Mysurname Hissurname but about 90% of people I meet refer to me as MyFirstName Hissurname.
I have recently joined a new social group who send round information bulletins, and I'd been minuted in something as Marklah Hissurname. I asked them to correct it and got a veiled p-a response about not wanting to confuse me with anyone else. hmm

nursebickypegs Thu 23-Mar-17 17:47:37

I hate hate HAAAATTTTTEEE being called Mrs Husbands-Name. I am Mrs.Nurse Bickey Pegs. A lot of companies do this, and our mortgage application was also all in my husbands name, and I was Mrs.Husbands Name. angry

Jaxhog Thu 23-Mar-17 17:50:04

Anyone who thinks it still isn't 1952 - watch out. In some people's minds it still is. At least you don't still have to get your husbands permission to file your tax return. That was how it was in 1977.

Funny how men never get the problem. They would if it happened to them. But it never does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now