Talk

Advanced search

Mutton dressed as lamb

(41 Posts)
DerFlabberghast Thu 23-Mar-17 16:38:29

I absolutely hate the fact that I'm in tears right now.

I posted recently about some unkind comments about my weight from a 'friend' of my mother's, for background and not to drip feed I was in rehab for two months at the end of last year and so have significantly increased my weight to something healthy on the ol BMI. I am also in recovery from EDNOS.

Today I was charity shopping with someone and picked out a pretty top for summer, nothing spectacular just something light and a bit 'floaty' iykwim with strawberries on, she pursued her lips and said 'oooh, you're a bit old and...you know...big for that now.'

I was a bit shocked so just said 'oh, really?' And said 'it would be a bit mutton dressed as lamb.'

Now I feel old and fat and like all my work's been for bugger all. I also think that phrase is fucking sexist women can wear what they bloody want at whatever age imho. Anyway, I accused her of both bitchyness disguised as concern and internalised misogyny, feel shit but aware I might be overreacting because it's a very sensitive topic for me.

DerFlabberghast Thu 23-Mar-17 16:39:33

And she said it would be mutton dressed as lamb, sorry typing on an iPad.

PickAChew Thu 23-Mar-17 16:46:17

There's another phrase: with friends like that who needs enemies.

You're not over reacting at all. You woudn't even have been over reacting if you'd asked her outright if she thought you looked better when you were dangerously underweight.

Age is nothing to be scared of, btw. We all get older. I think you need to add this person to a list of people not to have in your life as your do get older!

ButtercupChain Thu 23-Mar-17 16:46:17

Just ignore ignore ignore. Probably jealous of your awesomeness!

In my experience, people who make spiteful remarks are unhappy and jealous of you. And so are people who are miserable, and unhappy with their lives. Or all of the above.

I have never known a happy, jolly person who is content with life make bitchy remarks; it's always the miserable self loathing twats! grin

Please don't let this get to you. And well done on your achievements! smile

Craiconwithit Thu 23-Mar-17 16:48:52

Change your shopping buddies not yourself!
I'm fat and fifties and recently started exercising as I want to get slimmer but more importantly, healthier. I wouldn't dream of making such a ridiculous judgemental comment to a friend and if anyone said something like that to me, I'd drop them instantly.
Wear whatever you want to with pride. You don't need Mrs Bumhole's permission.

Arkhamasylum Thu 23-Mar-17 16:48:55

She sounds like arsehole dressed as friend.

Mulberry72 Thu 23-Mar-17 16:49:15

For you OP flowers

Well done for getting through rehab, you must be so proud of yourself, and getting yourself to a healthy BMI too.

That was a horrid thing for your "friend" to have said to you, the old MN line of "Did you mean to be so (fucking) rude" would have been appropriate I think!

Keep your chin up and ignore shitty comments like that, I'm sure you look lovely smile

Trifleorbust Thu 23-Mar-17 16:50:23

That isn't a kind thing for a 'friend' to say. Conclusion: not a friend.

IamFriedSpam Thu 23-Mar-17 16:52:16

flowers

Where do all the people with absolutely no tact come from? Sounds like she's deliberately putting you down - I can't imagine ever telling a friend they were too old or big to wear anything.

RubyWinterstorm Thu 23-Mar-17 16:53:13

Go back to buy it.

Wear what you like. Life is too short.

I just ordered myself a bold blue tube skirt despite my big old saggy arse... wink...because I like it!

The whole mutton dressed as lamb thing is terribly antiquated. Good old fashioned misogyny....

Your friend was wrong. And rude. And silly. And probably full of insecurities.

dustarr73 Thu 23-Mar-17 16:53:27

They are jealous of your progress.They have you in a box and they don't want you to be out of the box.It unsettling for them.Go back and buy the top and don't be listening to them.Jealous fuckers.

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:05:17

Another " friend "with a nasty mouth post, I really wish people would think before they speak.Ive been on the receiving end of these type of comments and they bloody sting, I'd rather be slaughtered from head to toe by a stranger than receive a cutting, so called throwaway comment from a friend. As far as I'm aware, I never put anyone down, never mind one of my friends.Go back and buy the top and sod her.

scampimom Thu 23-Mar-17 17:08:28

"Well that remark sounds like lemons dressed as sugar" so shove it up your chuff

ethelfleda Thu 23-Mar-17 17:08:59

She needs a bitch slap IMO

MadMags Thu 23-Mar-17 17:13:05

How to know if you're young enough to wear something:

Wear it.

Your friend is a knob.

LittleGwyneth Thu 23-Mar-17 17:15:07

Please go back and buy the top. Please.

smd5018 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:15:14

That is an atrocious thing for anyone to say to a 'friend' but presumably she is aware of your eating disorder? And she still said that to you? Seriously that's not tactless it's bloody spiteful, I would suggest you cut all ties with her. You do not need that kind of crap in your life!

ScarlettFreestone Thu 23-Mar-17 17:16:07

Goodness me you need to start shopping alone!

The only thing that is important about an outfit is how you feel in it.

Everyone else's view is entirely irrelevant.

Genuinely, no one who was your friend would say such a terrible thing.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 23-Mar-17 17:19:22

I think it sounds pretty and you should go back and buy it OP. Ditch the friend. And congrats on all your life changes! Amazing!

LellyMcKelly Thu 23-Mar-17 17:21:20

Get the lovely top. Ditch the mean friend.

AnneTwacky Thu 23-Mar-17 17:21:51

Agree with Dustarr. Your friend sounds like she's unsettled by your achievement. Don't let her silly comments bring you down.

Buy the top, I'm sure you'll look and feel awesome. ☺👍

pointythings Thu 23-Mar-17 17:22:45

Ditch the friend. Get the top. You've done amazingly to overcome an eating disorder so you are clearly a brilliant person. Also your username is a Terry Pratchett reference, which is another indicator of someone who deserves much better friends. So treat yourself to new clothes and a new friend.

LaGattaNera Thu 23-Mar-17 17:23:22

Horrible horrible - you ignore her OP a real friend doesn't say that!

I get tired of (occasionally) being told I should cut my long hair because I'm in my 40s.

The top sounds lovely - I love patterns of strawberries - where is it from? i'll get one if you do!

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Thu 23-Mar-17 17:24:21

She's unhappy with her self, sees that you're getting happy and healthy and is jealously trying to stamp down on you. Ignore her, and CONGRATULATIONS on beating your ED and attaining a healthy BMI, that's a brilliant achievement. flowers

Nousernameforme Thu 23-Mar-17 17:25:04

FYI and so you don't start on a downward spiral. Mutton dressed as lamb has nothing to do with weight she was not calling you fat and you should not feel fat.
I have a mother like this and until recently i was caught up in all the do's and don'ts of clothes until i thought fuck it I'll wear what is comfy everyone else seems to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now