Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok so I've found a lump

(56 Posts)
iwishiwasrichandthin Thu 23-Mar-17 10:59:35

I found a lump in my right breast yesterday evening and have been to my GP today.

I was hoping she would say ah it's nothing, however I have been referred urgently to the breast clinic.

She said it's about 3cm and mobile.
Does anyone know what that means?

We are due to go on holiday 2 weeks today.

Wtaf 😞

ChippyDucks Thu 23-Mar-17 11:04:51

It's such a worrying thing to deal with. I'm sorry I don't know about the mobile part, I've had two trips to the breast clinic, and they are bloody excellent and very thorough. Both myself and my mum had to have benign lumps drained, and they did it then and there. I hope you get your appt ASAP. Hugs flowers

helpmeplease2045 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:21:36

So sorry, I know its very worrying having been referred twice myself, in my case one was a fatty lump and the other a cyst. The good thing is you have a conscientious gp who is referring you, the other good thing is that the lump is mobile and thirdly that the vast majority, higher than 90% of lumps are nothing to worry about. My mum had breast cancer and hers was hard, grisly and non mobile.

Hugs x

iwishiwasrichandthin Thu 23-Mar-17 13:45:52

Thanks for replies. I know it's probably nothing.

car1sberg Thu 23-Mar-17 13:51:05

Just wanted to say I found a lump before Christmas, it was mobile too. My heart sank and I couldn't think about anything else. I was also referred, to be seen within 2 weeks. Mine was a lymph node.
Please try not to panic, the chances are it's nothing to worry about. You'll be seen before your holiday and can celebrate the good news then smile xx

Doyouwantabrew Thu 23-Mar-17 13:53:18

As all the above and good on your GP. Big hugs op flowers how horrible but as said 90% are ok. Xx

FriedPisces Thu 23-Mar-17 13:54:31

I'm not a doctor but I have had a lump that was mobile and the GP tried to calm my fears by saying a mobile lump is unlikely to be anything sinister. I still worried myself sick though!

It was a random bit of fatty tissue.

Best wishes, hoping it'll be fine. flowers

purplecoathanger Thu 23-Mar-17 13:54:59

I have had three breast lumps so I know what you're going through. Happily mine were benign. The chances are your lump will also be benign but you won't know until you've been seen.

It's no point me telling you not to worry because you will be worried. My advice is to try and keep busy and not think about it. If you do think about it, plan for the worst but hope for the best and keep things in perspective.

moredealsplease Thu 23-Mar-17 13:56:13

Had the same thing last year with urgent referral. Was beside myself with worry but turned out to be a cyst. Breast clinic were amazing. Apparently mobile is a good sign.

DubiousCredentials Thu 23-Mar-17 14:05:12

Have a look over here for reassurance and others in the same boat;

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2880176-How-do-I-stay-sane-whilst-waiting-for-breast-clinic-appointment

1wokeuplikethis Thu 23-Mar-17 14:13:09

They always refer urgently, it's what they have to do. I had this before Christmas & had urgent referral for a scan. The doctor thought it was a fibroadanoma - was about the size of a grape. I was just expecting a scan, but the sonographer was certain it wasn't a fibro so they also did 2 core biopsies. It was a complete shock. Went back a week later and found out it was a PASH. Not much known about these so have decided to get it removed and going in next month.

It is a worrying time. I'm only early thirties and have very young children and was just convinced it was cancer.
Reading up about what to expect can help but be aware there is tonnes of horror stories so tread carefully. You don't need any extra worries. Really hope everything is ok OP, just grit your teeth and know that it's a hard time to go through but the nurses and consultants/surgeons are very nice and it will be gotten to the bottom of quickly flowers

Charlieismydarlin Thu 23-Mar-17 14:15:26

I had an urgent referral for mine.

Mine was a fibroadenoma (so not a problem).

Try to stay busy and know everyone is rooting for you

Hullabaloo31 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:17:27

Don't worry about the urgent referral, it's protocol for any breast lump to refer under the 2 weeke wait. I found one a few weeks ago and had my trip to the breast clinic last week. I'm 30s with young with young kids and there were a few of us there. They were all lovely and I had exam, mammogram and ultrasound and it turned out to be lymph node like someone else's above.

HeteronormativeHaybales Thu 23-Mar-17 14:20:37

When you said mobile I immediately thought fibroadenoma (as I have now found out is the proper term for a breast mouse blush )

Best of luck. Chances are it'll be fine.

iwishiwasrichandthin Thu 23-Mar-17 14:43:36

Thanks for the reassurances and for sharing your own experiences.
I too am early 30s with young children.

Shopkinsdoll Thu 23-Mar-17 14:50:04

I had one a few years ago, went to the doctor and like you I was hoping he would say it's ok, it's nothing. But I got referred to the breast clinic. I was so worried, I think I had a bit of a breakdown when waiting for appointment. The time I got my appointment in a week the lump had gone. Went anyway and got the all clear. They were so nice. They told me the majority of lumps aren't dangerous. I feel for you as it's a real worry. Try and keep occupied. xx

LittleIda Thu 23-Mar-17 14:51:00

When dd had a lump on her neck and was referred urgently i think it was because it was NOT mobile that it was considered more worrying. I don't know if the same applies to breast lumps. Hopefully it does.

DubiousCredentials Thu 23-Mar-17 14:51:14

I was seen 9 days after my gp visit so with a bit of luck you'll be seen just as quickly then can really enjoy your holiday and relax. Try not to worry, be rational and stay away from Google flowers

lucyandpoppy123 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:48:02

Hi,
This happened to me recently as well, any lumps are usually referred 'urgently' (within 2 weeks) to the breast clinic. It's usually a 'one stop' clinic at the hospital where you will be examined by a dr, then you have an ultrasound scan, and then possibly a biopsy as well. It was really busy when I went but once it was my turn the procedures were done quickly and they were lovely as well!
The thing is with a GP it is really hard to tell what a lump is without a scan, so even though statistically its unlikely to be anything sinister (I think the statistics are something like 8 or 9 in 10 lumps referred to the breast clinics are not cancer) its always good to be certain.
My lump turned out to be a cyst.
From what I have read when a lump is mobile its a good sign, as apparently cancer often feels like its 'rooted' in place (although probably not always)

DJBaggySmalls Thu 23-Mar-17 15:50:43

They do try to get us all seen within 2 weeks, so dont think that means its bad news. Mine was mobile and I got a good result. It turned out to be an odd type of cyst.
I know this wont seem very comforting now, but even if its not benign, the fact you are being seen so fast gives the best prognosis long term.

Shopkinsdoll Thu 23-Mar-17 16:55:21

My friend had a lump and they were very concerned and she got an appointment at the breast clinic that afternoon. It turned out to be nothing. But I think it's protocol that everyone gets seen within 2 weeks.

iwishiwasrichandthin Fri 24-Mar-17 12:18:08

My appointment has come the rough for 7th april, the day we are supposed to be going on holiday. Tried to get in sooner but can't, going to have to disappoint the kids.

DubiousCredentials Fri 24-Mar-17 12:40:49

Gosh that's unfortunate. Could you phone the clinic and ask to be on a list for any cancellations they might have?

iwishiwasrichandthin Fri 24-Mar-17 13:56:03

Yeah am in canx list but the clinic only runs on a Friday so unlikely.

DubiousCredentials Fri 24-Mar-17 13:58:43

Could your gp find an alternative clinic? I can't believe yours only runs on Fridays shock The one I went to was running seven days a week. My gp offered me a choice of two to go to. We are out in the sticks and border two health trusts (can't think of proper word). Might be worth a call to the surgery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now